Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
even in powerdvd 19 no dolby vision
MirceaForce [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 29, 2016 13:26 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
hello

this is very embracing because even with the lastest version we cannot have dolby vision support

most movies support this

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mission-Impossible-Fallout-4K-Blu-ray/205013/

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Matrix-4K-Blu-ray/198328/

can have this update to this version ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2019 18:30

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Dolby Vision is not an universally supported feature on entry level HDR TV as I know it requies an license from Dolby and vendors have to pay the license fee periodically to Dolby as well in addition to BOM cost.
And, the price of a HDR TV, which supports the Dolby Vision, is at relatively higher price level.
It is not a friendly option for movie fans when setup their home theater.

Let's imagine that if powerdvd increases its price 30% or more for this feature, would you like to pay more for Dolby Vision?

Lots of HDR devices do not have this feature because it has extra license fees, and whether they can support it depending on Dolby's authorization plan.

It's awesome you have a Dolby Vision supported display (a high-end HDR TV probably), but it is very likely that the HDR TVs most of users have might not support Dolby Vision, and they don't truly realize what the visual difference are between HDR10 and Dolby Vision.
Last but not the least, the true 10-bit panel (for large size TVs), which is capable to present the ultimate quality of HDR, is not that common, 12-bit panel is still an experimental thing on the market.

Here is my thought, fyr.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2019 22:20

MirceaForce [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 29, 2016 13:26 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Dolby Vision is not an universally supported feature on entry level HDR TV as I know it requies an license from Dolby and vendors have to pay the license fee periodically to Dolby as well in addition to BOM cost.
And, the price of a HDR TV, which supports the Dolby Vision, is at relatively higher price level.
It is not a friendly option for movie fans when setup their home theater.

Let's imagine that if powerdvd increases its price 30% or more for this feature, would you like to pay more for Dolby Vision?

Lots of HDR devices do not have this feature because it has extra license fees, and whether they can support it depending on Dolby's authorization plan.

It's awesome you have a Dolby Vision supported display (a high-end HDR TV probably), but it is very likely that the HDR TVs most of users have might not support Dolby Vision, and they don't truly realize what the visual difference are between HDR10 and Dolby Vision.
Last but not the least, the true 10-bit panel (for large size TVs), which is capable to present the ultimate quality of HDR, is not that common, 12-bit panel is still an experimental thing on the market.

Here is my thought, fyr.

the tv that support dv are chepper now ....

i don't know if what you say is true about the license .....they also have dolby audio and they pay for that also....

also if you pay 100 dolars for a software you must have this dv...there are people that have dv in their tvs .....

but i do appreciate your opinion