Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I know that PowerDVD is being used to play streaming content?
A Haku-jin in Kyoto-fu [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Kyoto-fu, Japan Joined: Jan 13, 2019 00:18 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
If I'm playing a BD or DVD, I can open PowerDVD and point to the (external) BD player. Same with some downloaded
content - just point PowerDVD at it.

However, if I'm streaming a movie from Amazon Video (for example) how do I tell the computer to use PowerDVD for
playback?

When I rent a movie from the Apple iTunes store, I can download it - but its location is hidden so I can't point PowerDVD
at it. How do I tell iTunes to use PowerDVD?

My apologies if this sounds like a stupid question, but I now have a fantastic Sony Bravia 65" 8K HDR OLED TV and I want to make
sure that I'm getting the best possible results.
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDVD doesn't support streaming from Amazon or Netflix, or the playback of movies rented from iTunes. You'll need to connect your computer or device to your TV directly. That's how I use to do it before I got an Apple TV.

Dave
[Post New]
Quote PowerDVD doesn't support streaming from Amazon or Netflix, or the playback of movies rented from iTunes. You'll need to connect your computer or device to your TV directly. That's how I use to do it before I got an Apple TV.

Dave

If I may be permitted yet another stupid question: Why does CyberLink claim that PowerDVD can be used with streaming content?

I have PowerDVD 17 installed on a PC that is directly connected (on the HDMI port) to the TV. If I log into Netflix or Amazon Video, shouldn't I be able to play content back using PowerDVD?

I'm confused. Either the claim is false - nothing new there, businesses of all types manufacture BS constantly - or there is a way to get my PC to use PowerDVD.

If the claim is true, what do they mean exactly when they say I can use it with streaming content?
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
The questions are not stupid, as this digital content stuff takes lots of brain effort to wrap your mind around.

The streaming that PowerDVD can do is local digital media content (photos, videos, audio files) that is on your PC to another player, such as a TV (if is supports DLNA steaming) or on another computer that is on the same network. Or from another media server. It is an older technology and is for streaming on a local network. PowerDVD can also cast this media to Apple TVs, Roku player, etc. It is all about the digital media files on your computer.

Amazon and Netflix content is different and is streamed via a web browser or apps they create for other devices, like PS4 and smart TVs. I doubt they would want to embed their app inside PowerDVD. If you log in to Netflix, I am assuming you mean in your browser, then you play the content in your browser. This is what I do at lunch when I am at work.

The reason PowerDVD can't play your rented iTunes movie is because of Apple's own digital rights management. It wants you to play it on their players (iPhone, IMac, iPad, Apple TV) and don't allow it to be played on another app.

Dave

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Apr 11. 2019 03:00

Jets2011
[Post New]

If the claim is true, what do they mean exactly when they say I can use it with streaming content?

I actually found this older FAQ of how PowerDVD streams. It is all on a local network:

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=14029&prodId=1&prodVerId=-1&CategoryId=-1&keyword=stream

Netflix really changed the meaning of it since then.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 11. 2019 03:02

[Post New]
Quote The questions are not stupid, as this digital content stuff takes lots of brain effort to wrap your mind around.

The streaming that PowerDVD can do is local digital media content (photos, videos, audio files) that is on your PC to another player, such as a TV (if is supports DLNA steaming) or on another computer that is on the same network. Or from another media server. It is an older technology and is for streaming on a local network. PowerDVD can also cast this media to Apple TVs, Roku player, etc. It is all about the digital media files on your computer.

Amazon and Netflix content is different and is streamed via a web browser or apps they create for other devices, like PS4 and smart TVs. I doubt they would want to embed their app inside PowerDVD. If you log in to Netflix, I am assuming you mean in your browser, then you play the content in your browser. This is what I do at lunch when I am at work.

The reason PowerDVD can't play your rented iTunes movie is because of Apple's own digital rights management. It wants you to play it on their players (iPhone, IMac, iPad, Apple TV) and don't allow it to be played on another app.

Dave

Well, that certainly made everything much clearer. Thank you very much, Dave, for taking the time to provide such a concise, yet complete explanation. I should have known that Apple would encapsulate its content (and no, I don't think they're evil for doing so) but I was clinging to a faint hope.

Watching the Hanshin Tigers lose on the new TV doesn't make it hurt less, but holy mackerel is it gorgeous. Watching 4K HDR movies from iTunes on it is a near-religious experience already, and the thought that PowerDVD might do even better made me swoon.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 11. 2019 18:37