Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Exporting video for IGTV - upload failed in Instagram
Danilyn22 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Oklahoma Joined: Dec 08, 2018 07:26 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have tried everything I can to export a video for Instagrams IGTV. I shoot in vertical, I create in vertical Format and when exporting I make sure everything is absolutely correct. Yet when I upload to Instagram it fails....everytime.

Using the same video, which I shot with my phone, i used The free PowerDirector App and it uploaded just fine so I know it wasnt my video but something in the way PD17 saves.

Anyone else have this issue and is there any resolve?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Online
[Post New]
Hi Danilyn22 -

Unfortunately, I think the findings posted in this thread are still true... having just done a quick test to confirm.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
We passed this on to CyberLink and they are investigating. Hopefully there will be a fix soon.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Online
[Post New]
Hi PDM -

I think the issue is definitely related to the aspect ratio/orientation/rotation tags in the exif data.

Comparing the successful & failed uploads to IGTV, there are significant differences... outlined in the attached PDF.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
IGTV 9.16 Uploads.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
476 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
544 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 03. 2019 18:35

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I did watch a few YT videos where the authors recommend that one record video in the portrait mode to be able to load to IGTV. I just checked the mediainfo on one raw original vertical video from a Samsung cell phone and it is 16:9 Rotation 90 degrees. See the attached. Need feedback from IGTV users if recorded vertical video they uploaded has the 90 degrees rotation flag like the ones from PD17. Below is what happen when I try to upload the above original video to Instagram.

Your video doesn't meet requirements. Learn More
Video must be vertical. 9:16 aspect ratio is best.

This can mean that certain brands of phone do record 1080 x 1920 resolution without the orientation flag. Would like to know which phones are successful in uploading vertical video to IGTV.
[Thumb - Vertical video.jpg]
 Filename
Vertical video.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Samsung phone vertical video mediainfo.
 Filesize
117 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
18 time(s)
ynotfish
[Post New]
You're right tomasc -

Case in point: 9:16 videos straight from any of the iPhones I've had, up to iPhone X, are read by MediaInfo as being:

Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Rotation : 90°

They all upload to IGTV successfully.

One I just tested from Goole Pixel 2, which also works for IGTV, is interpreted by MediaInfo as being:

Width : 720 pixels
Height : 1 280 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 0.563 (with no note about rotation)

That's reflected in ExifTool. iPhone clips say "Rotation: 90°" Pixel2 clips say: "Rotation: 0°"

I haven't tested other clips straight off phones 'cos I don't have any. Nothing like a bit of inconsistency to muddy the waters.

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
Further to the above:

9:16 videos from Samsung Galaxy S8 (so one assumes other Samsung phones) upload to IGTV correctly.

In MediaInfo, they look just like iPhone clips... & 9:16 videos produced by PDR (???)

Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Rotation : 90°

Also tested a clip from DSLR Sony RX10iii (camera turned 90°. After editing the rotation data, it uploaded correctly to IGTV.

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
Same issue,, this my 6th day trying to post and failed to post, done tons of uploads to igtv with exact same settings before ,, tried uploading through different browsers and mobile nothing worked, powerdirector app didn't work for me also tried instashot, videoshop app and many more didn't work,, device Samsung note 2

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 24. 2019 16:27

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Same issue,, this my 6th day trying to post and failed to post, done tons of uploads to igtv with exact same settings before ,, tried uploading through different browsers and mobile nothing worked, powerdirector app didn't work for me also tried instashot, videoshop app and many more didn't work,, device Samsung note 2

I have no trouble loading clips from my Galaxy S8 or any clip I've produced with PD17 using the standard H.264 30p MP4 profile or a custom HD H.264 60p MP4 profile. Vertical and horizontal vids both work.

Are you sure you're meeting all of the guidelines? I tried some clips under 15 seconds and all were rejected. So were 3D and 1:1 aspect ratio clips. However, I could upload shorter clips and 1:1 AP in a regular post.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 24. 2019 17:21

[Post New]

I have no trouble loading clips from my Galaxy S8 or any clip I've produced with PD17 using the standard H.264 30p MP4 profile or a custom HD H.264 60p MP4 profile. Vertical and horizontal vids both work.

Are you sure you're meeting all of the guidelines? I tried some clips under 15 seconds and all were rejected. So were 3D and 1:1 aspect ratio clips. However, I could upload shorter clips and 1:1 AP in a regular post.

These are my usual settings that i upload with didn't change anything :
[Thumb - Screenshot_2019-06-25-09-21-55.png]
 Filename
Screenshot_2019-06-25-09-21-55.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
252 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
21 time(s)
[Thumb - Screenshot_2019-06-25-09-27-52.png]
 Filename
Screenshot_2019-06-25-09-27-52.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
886 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 25. 2019 02:30

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Sounds like something you may need to work out with IG support. You can try downloading this clip and see if you can get IGTV to accept it. I can upload it to the website using Edge and from the app on my Samsung Galaxy S8 without any issues.

If you want me to see if I can upload one of your clips, upload a copy to a cloud folder and paste the link here. I won't publish it, I'll only see if i get the same error when trying to upload it. Both of these steps should at least tell us if the problem is with the clips themselves or something else.
[Post New]
Quote Sounds like something you may need to work out with IG support. You can try downloading this clip and see if you can get IGTV to accept it. I can upload it to the website using Edge and from the app on my Samsung Galaxy S8 without any issues.

If you want me to see if I can upload one of your clips, upload a copy to a cloud folder and paste the link here. I won't publish it, I'll only see if i get the same error when trying to upload it. Both of these steps should at least tell us if the problem is with the clips themselves or something else.

I tried to upload your clip in my igtv still failed,, this my video link

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CYaTz68YXpDZCE4G9

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 25. 2019 17:48

optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for sharing this clip! On my end everything works normally:

This brings up two possibilities. One is that Google Photos reencoded your video so it now works on IGTV. You can easily test that by downloading the clip you shared and see it that works when you upload it.

The other possibility is that there's some kind of access restriction where you are that's affecting all your devices. You might want to try a VPN connection to IGTV.
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for sharing this clip! On my end everything works normally:

This brings up two possibilities. One is that Google Photos reencoded your video so it now works on IGTV. You can easily test that by downloading the clip you shared and see it that works when you upload it.

The other possibility is that there's some kind of access restriction where you are that's affecting all your devices. You might want to try a VPN connection to IGTV.

Np, It upload fine like the video on brower and mobile but once the upload is done the video failed to post,, this my issue after the upload comple the video failed to post .

Saved it from Google photo and upload to igtv this the result .
[Thumb - Screenshot_2019-06-26-02-54-06.png]
 Filename
Screenshot_2019-06-26-02-54-06.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
384 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
[Thumb - Screenshot_2019-06-26-02-54-21.png]
 Filename
Screenshot_2019-06-26-02-54-21.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
336 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Thumb - Screenshot_2019-06-26-02-54-32.png]
 Filename
Screenshot_2019-06-26-02-54-32.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1357 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Jun 25. 2019 20:01

[Post New]
Quote Thanks for sharing this clip! On my end everything works normally:

I tried vpn connection and it uploaded fine wow,, how do i fix the restriction?

Tried another new upload with vpn failed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 25. 2019 23:10

optodata
[Post New]
I honestly don't know what to tell you, other than I don't think that PowerDirector is the reason why you're having touble with your videos posting.

I would hope that somebody from IG customer service/tech support would be able to give you more info on what's happening with your specific videos.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Quote I honestly don't know what to tell you, other than I don't think that PowerDirector is the reason why you're having touble with your videos posting.

I would hope that somebody from IG customer service/tech support would be able to give you more info on what's happening with your specific videos.

Of course not powerdirector is the issue,, i think i will change device or ask a technician in my area,, it surprised me when it upload through vpn,, above all thank you so much for replying and helping wish you all the best brother.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi optodata -

I am intrigued by your statement:

I am unable to make the same statement yell

Any 9:16 video I've attempted to upload to IGTV that's been processed by PDR17 fails.

Case in point: The video linked above... I downloaded it from your OneDrive and uploaded it to IGTV successfully. BUT - after running iot through PDR, using a standard profile selected by profile analyser, the upload FAILS to post. I've tried using Chrome, Edge & Firefox without success.

Not a clue - Tony
[Post New]
Hi optodata -

I am intrigued by your statement:

I am unable to make the same statement yell

Any 9:16 video I've attempted to upload to IGTV that's been processed by PDR17 fails.

Case in point: The video linked above... I downloaded it from your OneDrive and uploaded it to IGTV successfully. BUT - after running iot through PDR, using a standard profile selected by profile analyser, the upload FAILS to post. I've tried using Chrome, Edge & Firefox without success.

Not a clue - Tony

Should i change my phone? Or its just the re encoding?

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 26. 2019 07:57

optodata
[Post New]
Quote Case in point: The video linked above... I downloaded it from your OneDrive and uploaded it to IGTV successfully. BUT - after running iot through PDR, using a standard profile selected by profile analyser, the upload FAILS to post. I've tried using Chrome, Edge & Firefox without success.

Not a clue - Tony

Hi Tony. The clip in my OneDrive folder is a screen capture that was produced by PD. The clip shown in your post is Moses' problematic clip from his Google Photos drive.

Also, there seem to be two different problems going on. The first is that the video can't be uploaded at all (which was actually the only thing I tested when I made my earlier statement that I had no problems), and the second is that the video can be uploaded but fails to post.

I created a test project in PD17 and produced 3 versions of the pool fishing vid using the Best Matched profile: QuickSync, CPU-only, and nVidia. You can download the PDS file and all 4 clips from here.

I tried uploading and posting with these 4 clips, and while Edge had no problems uploading the clips, including the original version, none would post. I always got this error message:

In fact, I couldn't get any clips to actually post using Edge today. I was able to upload clips straight from my Galaxy S8, an iPhone clip, and the screen recording from my OneDrive folder, but all gave me the above message.

I then tried uploading and posting using the app, and all 4 vids uploaded and posted sucessfully, although the original version and the CPU-produced version are clearly stretched:

So from my testing, it seems that how the videos are produced by PD may cause some problems with how they look on IGTV (using any hardware acceleration works best), and using PD didn't affect whether the clips could be posted or not, at least by the app.

One thing I saw after searching online was perhaps uploading though Facebook was an option, and also that logging out of FB might do the trick. I don't have a FB account so all of this was strictly my IG account.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°