Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Rendering quality and workflow
[Post New]
Quick question from a novice to the pros...

When I render a project is there a loss of quality from the original material? Any advice on workflow?

The reason I ask is ... Currently I create the entire video in one project, applying all effects, graphics and sound adjustment, then produce the video choosing the best match to the original material ... i.e. MP4 2K 2048 X 1080 25p. I shoot on a GoPro Hero 6. So I render once only. This creates the problem of having to apply all colour correction and effects to all clips which is slow, and the project gets pretty jumpy and slow when working on it as I use many channels for additional graphics which overloads my computer.

I guess it would be easier to split the workflow into small pieces by
1st get all clips and transitions correct, render the movie
2nd add colour correction and effects, render the movie
3rd add graphics and co, render the movie.
4th Kick back and enjoy.

Any advice on work flow?
Do I lose quality if I render the same material several times?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Tom
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Every non-SVRT render is a loss of quality. Lossy 4:1:1 (NTSC) codec on top of a lossy codec. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
Thanks Barry

So my conclusion is that I follow the work flow I described and Render the project at the end of each step and each time enable 'fast rendering technology' and 'SVRT'...

1. Cut and tranistions - render ... Quality loss only on transitions.

2. Add graphics and text - render ... Quality loss only where there is graphics and text overlaid on video

3. Adjust colours and add effects (i.e. NewBlue skin touch up & Tint)- render... quality loss across entire video. Its the finished version.

Tom

Quote Every non-SVRT render is a loss of quality. Lossy 4:1:1 (NTSC) codec on top of a lossy codec.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The fewer renders, the better you'll be.
If the project is too long, you can manage it better by dividing the project by time length, not by each editing phase.
The only other thing you can do is convert to a lossless codec but you can't do that in PD, yet, I am hopeful. There are lossless codecs that are not due royalties (free use). HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
Many thanks Barry ... you have saved me hours of experimentation!

Quote The fewer renders, the better you'll be.
If the project is too long, you can manage it better by dividing the project by time length, not by each editing phase.
The only other thing you can do is convert to a lossless codec but you can't do that in PD, yet, I am hopeful. There are lossless codecs that are not due royalties (free use).