Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
No Create Folder option for Blu-ray disc creation
burgesb1970 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 26, 2007 15:38 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
I'm trying to diagnose a problem I have when creating a Blu-ray disc but the option to create folder rather than burn to disc is 'greyed-out' and not selectable. If I chose to create a DVD instead, the opton is there. Does anyone know why this would be?

Thanks
Bevan
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bevan,

Believe it or not this is entirely deliberate!! Dafydd kindly confirmed this for me when he contacted R&D on my behalf, after I'd contacted him.

I create Blu-ray projects and pretty much nothing else! In PD 7 I'd always burn to folders first, check that everything was ok, and then burnt to disk.

One of my recent projects was 47GB and due to the removal of the create folder option, I now have buy BD-RE discs just in case there is a problem.

Dafydd has passed my frustrations on to CL and R&D, with a view to them re-activating this service.

If they do re-activate the feature it will be down to his support.

Andrew

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 02. 2009 16:26

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
burgesb1970 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 26, 2007 15:38 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Andrew,

It's not just me then!
I have a BD-RE that I am using but was hoping to use the folder option.

Thanks Again
Bevan
Rob [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 23, 2009 02:37 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

I experienced the same here.
I could not check the create folder option.

I hope they release this option, because i hate too waste so much burning
hours on my new Blue-Ray Burner.

I use lots of editing programs but not with as manny problems as this one.
Yes i know i must do the A B C D E thingy...

but for example, program errors i encounted :

- Runtime Error when creating a disk

- While creating a Menu hanging of the program

- While creating a menu with 31 chapters a problem beacause the menu
can't handle more then 1 gig ( Size Limit ), normaly you can create up to 99 tracks,
but is seems like the menu don't accept to much track pages

- When inporting tracks suddenly a phew tracks are black have no data
in it, re import them and voila...

- When using a default template, i applied new setting to al pages, but
then the chapter pages suddenly apears to be no longer working.
I applied again and the second time same steps it works.

- By accident importing a 30 frames clips on a 25 frames project.
If u don't noticed that u have a problem, ur program keeps crashing.
Then convert the video to 25 frames and import again.

- When using a default template and using a new audio track, it first let u
hear a phew seconds of the default audio sound, then it fades and then
u can hear the new audio.

It is not a complain, but maybe i hope to make an issue here why i want
want to use the working directory ( Create folder ) for Blue-Ray

I encoutered these problems in the first 2 day's !
And burned an wipe about 20 times a BD-RE
No i am not a noob regarding video editing.

And if i realy have a big problem, i will put my A B C D E here.
For now i figured this out myself, but how manny people dont have a
clue what is happening when using this software for the first time.

Ps. Can anyone tell me why there is a limit of 1 GB when creating a menu?
Is this due to the motion ( animation ) in the menu ?
That it will gonna be to heavy for a Blue-ray player ?

One thing is for sure... if u got errors most likely it has something to to
with a problem on the timeline of ur movie.
Too bad the program doesn't tell u what exact the problem is.

Thank u and i keep reading here ...

Excuse me for my english

Best regards ..

Nomi, Netherlands

This message was edited 15 times. Last update was at Sep 24. 2009 08:23

Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nomi,

The missing create folders has created significant problems for you, me, and for others who author to blu-ray. I use a workaround which involves encoding before burning to blu-ray. Try this:

1. Add the files to the timeline and edit as before;
2. Click on the 'Produce' tab and produce your work to a file that matches your required final output to blu-ray exactly;
3. Go back to the 'Edit' tab - this newly created file of your work should now be in the library;
4. Remove all the clips on the timeline and replace with your newly produced file. Check the newly produced file for any encoding errors;
5. Add chapter markers if required;
6. Select 'Create Disc' and select settings that match the file of your produced work.
7. Burn disc

Let me know how you get on!

Cheers

Andrew

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 23. 2009 10:08

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Rob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the work around, i did this for a phew files and encoded them for correcting the framerate differences.

So yes u are right, it's a better way to encode the files first and then re- import the new file.
If there are any problems it is easier to see

I also noticed a little compression after the conversion from avchd to mpeg2 but is verry little.

Didn't try the x.v. color option yet, but i used most options already.

And ofcourse i hope that they don't gray out things like "Create folder"
It's better if we can decide this ourselves.

Thank u for the reply !

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Sep 23. 2009 18:33

Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
There's probably a good reason why the burn-to-folder option is disabled in PDR8. But there seems to be a registry entry you can add to enable that option.

There's a Registry DWORD value you can add named BurnBDMVFolder and then set the value to 1. That seems to enable the burn-to-folder option for BDs.

The following was done on Windows XP Professional SP3.

1) Set a Restore Point.

2) Run REGEDIT from Start > Run.

3) Navigate to the AuthorPage folder at this location:
HKCU\Software\CyberLink\PowerDirector\8.0\AuthorPage

Make sure you select AuthorPage, not Authoring.

4) Right-click on the AuthorPage folder and select New > DWORD value. That will add a new value over in the right-hand pane.

5) In the right-hand pane scroll down to the bottom of the list and rename "New Value" to BurnBDMVFolder.

6) Double-click on the BurnBDVMFolder entry, or alternatively right-click on the entry, and select Modify. Change the value from 0 to 1.

7) Exit Regedit.

Those steps should enable the burn-to-folder option for BDs in PDR8, at least they did for me.

Rob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

Oke good to hear, i shall try it under win7
I will let you know if that worked for me.
-----------------------------------------------------

Hey Great it works )))
Don't know why they gave that workarround themself though

But i am verry happy with this second workarround

Thank u so much !!!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 23. 2009 20:34

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
The following information is posted:http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/8131.page#33786

Quote:
There's probably a good reason why the burn-to-folder option is disabled in PDR8. But there seems to be a registry entry you can add to enable that option.

There's a Registry DWORD value you can add named BurnBDMVFolder and then set the value to 1. That seems to enable the burn-to-folder option for BDs.

The following was done on Windows XP Professional SP3.

1) Set a Restore Point.

2) Run REGEDIT from Start > Run.

3) Navigate to the AuthorPage folder at this location:
HKCU\Software\CyberLink\PowerDirector\8.0\AuthorPage

Make sure you select AuthorPage, not Authoring.

4) Right-click on the AuthorPage folder and select New > DWORD value. That will add a new value over in the right-hand pane.

5) In the right-hand pane scroll down to the bottom of the list and rename "New Value" to BurnBDMVFolder.

6) Double-click on the BurnBDVMFolder entry, or alternatively right-click on the entry, and select Modify. Change the value from 0 to 1.

7) Exit Regedit.

Those steps should enable the burn-to-folder option for BDs in PDR8, at least they did for me.

Worked for me.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
Hi Xerox,

I will certainly be trying this tonight. Many many thanks for posting this, you could potentially be saving me alot of grief!!

Regards

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
PM sent to Xerox
Subject: Excellent post
Thank you for posting the Blu-ray work-around on the forum.

All members here appreciate the sharing of knowledge and information. The data and changes will help many. I'm really pleased there is a suitable solution for members who are struggling and need to test write a disc to a folder before burning to Blu-ray.

Thank you.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 24. 2009 05:50

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Xerox,

Allow me to fill all your blank stars with yellow. Excellent post!

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you all for the kind words. I would be really excited myself if I had a real Blu-ray burner.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 24. 2009 05:43

Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
Rob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

Well you helped a lot of people, it saves a lot of time and it saves a lot of
burning hours for my Plextor BD
And i hope you also have the pleasure soon to got yourself a Blue-ray
player

Thanks again
Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
Hi Xerox,

Worked like a charm!

Just re-encoded my brothers whopping 47gb Blu-ray straight to folders with no errors at all, first time!

The fact that you don't author blu-rays and have found this workaround makes your discovery even more remarkable! Many thanks!

Also thanks to Dafydd - I know from discussing this issue with him personally how supportive he's been in telling CL how difficult it is for users to author without the blu-ray folders feature!

Andrew

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 24. 2009 16:54

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
OK..

Dafydd got ahold of me in SKYPE and as I use Win7 32 bit he wanted me to walk through the registry addition mentoned above. (or below where ever it may be)

I did not have the register entries in the Authorpage folder. I then I then went into PD8 and produced a DVD to my normal catch all folder. Which Dafydd walked me through that step. He knows I do not use PD to render my DVD's and probably have never been in that window. He was right. I have always used Windows DVD maker since it came out to render my DVD's and it has never failed to render a DVD ever. But thats another story.

After I rendered a DVD file to the folder, the fregistry entries were then present as in the example.

Following the steps, it activated my burn to folder capability in my win7 and I have burned to folder blue ray video files (NOT TO BLUE RAY DISK) as I do not have blue ray.

Anyway, I now can burn anythng including blue ray directly to a folder and watch it with Windows Media Player. I have no reason or desire to do blue ray. But it works on my machine. AND my Win7 media player wil play the blue ray video files that I burned to folder in the practice render.

A waste if time for me to render HD videos where I live, HD is not in big demand here. I produce a hour and a half video for the High School Graduation every year to be shown during graduation. It is a scholastic history of the students, and give out between 350 and 425 DVDs of it which I still make in 4:3 format.

Thanks Dafydd....

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 08. 2010 15:48

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Bob50 [Avatar]
Member Location: Australia Joined: Dec 12, 2008 23:40 Messages: 88 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry to be a party pooper guys but this didn't work for me. The instructions were very clear and I thought everything went well however, I went to burn disk option and "Burn To Folder" is still greyed out. I had the choice between 32-bit & 64-bit, I chose 32-bit. I also noticed in the very last stage "Modify" there was a choice of "Hexadecimal" & "Decimal", it was set as defaul "Hexadecimal so I just left it. I am running Vista.

Any suggestions where I could have gone wrong or check that I have done it correctly?

Cheers
Bob
-Jim-
Member Location: West Coast of Canada - Home of the 2010 Winter Olympics! Joined: Mar 29, 2009 13:32 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Gents,

I'm a newbie to PD8 so please be gentle.

I did a little work with PD7 (which got me to finally punt Pinnacle Studio after many frustrating years with numerous versions) but I'm getting to work on HD video from my Sony HDR-SR12 Handycam as I finally bought an LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray Writer. Now the "system" is complete. (I already went for an EVGA nVidia 260 GTX video card, 4 gigs of DDR2 Ram, and an Intel QX6850 Quad Core so I'd have enough Horsepower.)

I installed PD8 onto my main box (Win7 Ultimate 64) just to walk through the various setup options and get a "feel" for what's new in PD8. (From my past life I do all my video editing work on a separate drive /operating system to avoid conflicts, resource allocation issues, etc.) I was up late last night trying to do this Tweak as I'd much prefer to make errors onto the Hard Drive than burn expensive Blu-Ray Coasters.

I never got it done even though I tried and tried. (I even posted here somewhere - I was so tired I forget where!) Frustrated I went to bed.

Just for grins this morning I decided to put PD8 onto my separate Video Editing Drive. On my main drive with the new 2508 patch it was a no go. But I never even opened the Create-Burn tab in this version (see above). On the separate Video Editing Drive I applied the 2220 patch (I downloaded it when it came out) and then decided to poke around a bit in PD8. The BluRay burn to folder option was greyed out so I decided to try the Regedit tweak and the Folder was there. I applied the 2508 after doing the tweak and testing (reboot / open / close PD8, etc.) and the tweak was still there.

Now I don't know what exactly was the reason (poking about in PD8 at the Burn Disk option or using an earlier patch) but it looks like it will work.

By the way, did anyone figure out what the "good reason" is for this option being unavailable in the first place?

I hope this is helpful for others. Regards,

Jim

Asus Z87-A Motherboard - O/C if needed to about 4.6 Ghz.
Intel i7 4770K CPU
16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram
OCZ 448 Gig SSD (for OS and related Video Editing Programs)
1 TB, 1.5 TB, and 3 TB Data Drives - Slide in Drawers as needed.
LG's HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 Blu ray Burner
Samsung SH-S223F 16x DVD Burner
Gigabyte GTX 660Ti NVidia Geforce Graphics Card
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
On a 64 bit Win 7 system the "Authorpage" folder in the registry does NOT contain any files. However, there is a "Profiles" sub-folder. As a consequence I have not been able to activate BD burn to folder. Is there another option or is it available only in 32 bit mode ? Win 10, i7
Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
Hi folks,

Bobby, can you attatch screenshot of where you created the BurnBDMVFolder please, from within regedit.

HDEdit - I can confirm that it does work with a Windows 7 64bit setup.

Jim - the fact that PD8 has this feature disabled as standard is because Cyberlink have to produce it that way, or they would get into trouble with Sony and all the partners of the blu-ray federation or whatever they're called. That info is straight from Cyberlink themselves when Dafydd pressed them on it at my request - thanks Dafydd.

The important thing is, there's a workaround!

Cheers,

Andrew

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 08. 2010 18:04