Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Frame Rate Conflict in PowerDirector 13 with a Samsung Galaxy S10 video file
[Post New]
So I decided to switch from a Samsung Galaxy S6 to a Galaxy S10e in order to produce even better looking videos, but I'm having a little bit of an issue. I uploaded my first video off of my S10e yesterday onto my PD13 panel. Once I inserted the file onto the timeline, I received a message letting me know of a timerate conflict, which stated that the frame rate for my S10 file was 30.09 while the set frame rate is 29.97 (or 30). I've recieved this warning box many times before, but because most of my files were just below 30, it didn't effect the smoothness of my videos at all.

The S10e video file lags whenever I play it on the timeline in PD13 and I have no idea how to fix this issue. Is there anything that I can do to make this video play normally?? Since the S10 came out just last week I know there aren't that many people that have run into this issue (yet), but if anyone else happens to run into a simialr issue and finds a solution, please let me know. I'll include a screenshot of the warning box that I recieved in PD13 as well.
[Thumb - Screenshot 2019-03-14 18.44.34.png]
 Filename
Screenshot 2019-03-14 18.44.34.png
[Disk]
 Description
Frame Rate Issue in PD13
 Filesize
419 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 14. 2019 18:49

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I doubt that this has anything to do with the frame rate message, although the fact that you keep seeing it would definitely be confusing.

You can actually disable that warning by unchecking this box under Preferences:

I imagine that it's the S10's high resolution and bitrate that your PD on your PC is unable to handle in real time. It's like that for most people.

I can run video 4k 30p video from my S8 smoothly in PD13, but I have a brand new and very fast computer.

The first things to try are to lower PD's preview resolution to HD or Normal, and to turn on shadow files. If you'd like other people to take a look at how your S10 video works on their systems, please upload a short sample clip to OneDrive, Google Drive, DropBox, etc and paste the link here.

If you could also look at the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread at the top of the forum index page, you'll see the detailed steps for running the DxDiag test and attaching the results here. That will give us a clear idea of what your PC is capable of, and can help us give you the best advice for working with clips like these.

Again, ignore or disable the frame conflict warning.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I can run video 4k 30p video from my S8 smoothly in PD13, but I have a brand new and very fast computer

Pardon me while I have a bit of a rant!

Here in Europe we have a 50Hz framerate but video from my European market Galaxy S5 and Canon G12 camera is 60Hz which means that the editor has to drop frames with the result that the finished video is always jerky. With such a large area of the world using 50Hz why do we have to be stuck with an American standard? I wouldn't have thought it beyond the wit of man to make it possible to offer both standards. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Pardon me while I have a bit of a rant! Here in Europe we have a 50Hz framerate but video from my European market Galaxy S5 and Canon G12 camera is 60Hz which means that the editor has to drop frames with the result that the finished video is always jerky. With such a large area of the world using 50Hz why do we have to be stuck with an American standard? I wouldn't have thought it beyond the wit of man to make it possible to offer both standards.

Obviously I can't do anything about the choices that device manufacturers make, and while the PAL broadcast standard and the power frequency in much of the world uses/runs at 50Hz, there's nothing to stop you from producing videos at 60p, especially if you're going to be watching on a phone or monitor.

Take an existing project and change the project frame rate to 60 FPS (NTSC) then re-produce it to 60p. Even though you'll also have to change the Country/video format of disc to NTSC, that setting is only meaningful for videos and discs meant to be watched on a TV; it's irrelevant to computers, laptops or phones.

If you're producing to discs or media for PAL TV, you may find that setting the project framerate to 60 gives different results than when it's set to 50 when producing 60p clips to PAL 50p. If you've been using one of those project framerates and aren't happy with the resulting jerkiness/frame loss, it may be worth trying out the other setting.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 15. 2019 14:04

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Hi optodata,

Thanks for the suggestion. I might try that out just to see what happens although because of the frequency difference I've taken very little video on the S5 or G12.

Nearly all my video ends up on a DVD or BluRay disc to be played through my TV. I imagine it would still be impossible to mix 60Hz footage with any taken using my 50Hz Panasonic SD900 camcorder which is what I'd probably most want to do. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Fenman - This 50/60 Hz line frequency and framerate has been debated many times. If the 50 fps footage is for a BD meant for TV viewing then use 50 fps to avoid seeing the judder if produced at 60 fps that many are able to see. In the US many claim that they don’t see any difference. This may me because people’s eyes get used to the 3:2 pulldown used in movies on TV in the states.

Some users now do have a TV that can display 24 fps without the 3:2 pulldown. They cost a little more.
[Post New]
Quote I doubt that this has anything to do with the frame rate message, although the fact that you keep seeing it would definitely be confusing.

You can actually disable that warning by unchecking this box under Preferences:

I imagine that it's the S10's high resolution and bitrate that your PD on your PC is unable to handle in real time. It's like that for most people.

I can run video 4k 30p video from my S8 smoothly in PD13, but I have a brand new and very fast computer.

The first things to try are to lower PD's preview resolution to HD or Normal, and to turn on shadow files. If you'd like other people to take a look at how your S10 video works on their systems, please upload a short sample clip to OneDrive, Google Drive, DropBox, etc and paste the link here.

If you could also look at the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread at the top of the forum index page, you'll see the detailed steps for running the DxDiag test and attaching the results here. That will give us a clear idea of what your PC is capable of, and can help us give you the best advice for working with clips like these.

Again, ignore or disable the frame conflict warning.

Here is my DxDiag file. I tried changing the preview resolution, but the video still lagged. I'll see about posting a small video clip as well.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
53 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
270 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Here is my DxDiag file. I tried changing the preview resolution, but the video still lagged. I'll see about posting a small video clip as well.

Thanks very much for posting this. I have checked the Dell website for your Latitude E5570 and there are many, many updates waiting for you there.

By far, the most important one is the video driver for your Intel HD Graphics 520 chip. The latest Dell-approved driver is from Jan 2019, while the driver you have installed is 2 years old.

Try that one first, but also consider the BIOS and the many other system-level drivers for your system. Once your laptop is more up to date, see how PD performs.

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]

Thanks very much for posting this. I have checked the Dell website for your Latitude E5570 and there are many, many updates waiting for you there.

By far, the most important one is the video driver for your Intel HD Graphics 520 chip. The latest Dell-approved driver is from Jan 2019, while the driver you have installed is 2 years old.

Try that one first, but also consider the BIOS and the many other system-level drivers for your system. Once your laptop is more up to date, see how PD performs.

Thanks for the info!! I purchased this laptop in January of 2018, so I've only had it for about a year. Completely forgot about the driver updates. Unfortunately, the updates haven't fixed my issue. The weird thing is that the video files play fine/smooth if I play them from the import library, but once I put them on the timeline, they are not playing smooth. What's even more weird is that sometimes they will play smooth on the timeline (when I first place them on the timeline), but then the videos aren't playing smooth, particularly if I start to edit them in any way (and then any file from the S10e that I place on the timeline won't play smooth, regardless if I edit them or not. My brother has an S10e as well and also has PD13 on his laptop (Dell Inspiron 7559) and it does the same exact thing when he puts a video file from his S10e onto the timeline. It's not smooth most of the time and if it is, it goes back to being not smooth once he edits the video file.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 21. 2019 18:34

[Post New]

One more interesting thing. My brother just inserted a video file from is previous phone (Galaxy S and it is playing smooth on the timeline. When he checked out the properties for the file, the only noticeable difference was that the S8 file ran at an even 30.00 FPS. The S10e video file ran at 30.09 FPS (which is how it ran on my laptop as well). I understand that it's not a huge difference, but could it be the reason why this is happening??

EDIT: I don't know why there is an emoji in place of the "8" in S8?? I can't seem to get rid of it, lol.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 21. 2019 18:42

optodata
[Post New]
Quote One more interesting thing. My brother just inserted a video file from is previous phone (Galaxy S8) and it is playing smooth on the timeline. When he checked out the properties for the file, the only noticeable difference was that the S8 file ran at an even 30.00 FPS. The S10e video file ran at 30.09 FPS (which is how it ran on my laptop as well). I understand that it's not a huge difference, but could it be the reason why this is happening??

EDIT: I don't know why there is an emoji in place of the "8" in S8?? I can't seem to get rid of it, lol.

You just need to check this box to get rid of the unwanted smiley face:

Can you upload a sample clip from your S10 to Google Drive, DropBox or OneDrive and paste the link to it here? That will help us see what might be going on.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 21. 2019 20:42

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]

You just need to check this box to get rid of the unwanted smiley face:

Can you upload a sample clip from your S10 to Google Drive, DropBox or OneDrive and paste the link to it here? That will help us see what might be going on.

I just created a link for the video file on DropBox. It shows pretty much what I deal with on my youtube channel, which is fireworks. Here it is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kbw0oh8rgb6b41/20190323_184648.mp4?dl=0
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for the sample video. It's just HD, not 4k, and the bitrate is only 17Mbps, so working with this in PD13 should be well within the capabilities of your laptop.

I tested it out in PD13 on my system and didn't see any issues with a few edits (trimming, zooming in and rotating the video).

My system is extremely powerful and was built for 4k editing so it's possible that there are lagging issues that my system is able to power through. I did set the preview resolution to Full HD, which is the hardest setting, but I didn't see anything at all.

I also used PD13 to produce a new version of your sample clip. Download it from here, and see if it is smoother to work with on your laptop.

If it is smoother, then it may help to look at the video settings on the S10 to see if there might be a constant frame rate option. You could also try running the clip through Handbrake or another free converter app first.

If the new clip starts out smoothly but then bogs down like the original clip, you may want to open Task Manager and see if there are any other apps or services running that are taking a lot of CPU time. Many processes will reduce their CPU needs when an app like PD is starting up, but if Windows senses that not much is happening in PD for a certain period, it may resume processing those other tasks which would then slow PD down.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2019 12:58

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the sample video. It's just HD, not 4k, and the bitrate is only 17Mbps, so working with this in PD13 should be well within the capabilities of your laptop.

I tested it out in PD13 on my system and didn't see any issues with a few edits (trimming, zooming in and rotating the video).

My system is extremely powerful and was built for 4k editing so it's possible that there are lagging issues that my system is able to power through. I did set the preview resolution to Full HD, which is the hardest setting, but I didn't see anything at all.

I also used PD13 to produce a new version of your sample clip. Download it from here, and see if it is smoother to work with on your laptop.

If it is smoother, then it may help to look at the video settings on the S10 to see if there might be a constant frame rate option. You could also try running the clip through Handbrake or another free converter app first.

If the new clip starts out smoothly but then bogs down like the original clip, you may want to open Task Manager and see if there are any other apps or services running that are taking a lot of CPU time. Many processes will reduce their CPU needs when an app like PD is starting up, but if Windows senses that not much is happening in PD for a certain period, it may resume processing those other tasks which would then slow PD down.

The link is actually to the youtube clip that you posted. When I produce the clips (in WMA, which is what I always do), the videos play fine and they are smooth. The only issue is when it gets transferred to the timeline. I re-produced a clip the first time I saw this issue and when I put that clip on the timeline it ran fine. I looked at the properties for both the original and re-produced versions of the clip and the only major difference is the frame rate. I've added screenshots of the properties for both clips.

I also added a 3rd screenshot of a clip from my old phone (Galaxy S6). The only difference with that one was also the frame rate.

My brother tried recording clips in Ultra HD and putting them on the timeline (both the 30 and 60 bit options). The video clips were a little better, but still not as smooth as they should be. I guess this will be an issue that I'll just have to deal with while I'm editing these videos.
[Thumb - Screenshot 2019-03-29 11.35.23.png]
 Filename
Screenshot 2019-03-29 11.35.23.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
707 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Thumb - Screenshot 2019-03-29 11.35.02.png]
 Filename
Screenshot 2019-03-29 11.35.02.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
852 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Thumb - Screenshot 2019-03-29 12.32.49.png]
 Filename
Screenshot 2019-03-29 12.32.49.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
914 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Quote The link is actually to the youtube clip that you posted.

D'oh! Sorry about that. I've gone back and edited the original post, and here's the correct link.

Also, have you tried changing the Hardware Acceleration options from PD13's Preferences menu to see if they make a difference?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2019 13:02

YouTube/optodata

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The screenshots show that you are using shadow files. You must let the gold icons in the video thumbnail change to green before placing them on the timeline to continue editing. Once they are green there should be no studder when playing the clip on the timeline.

There should be no problem playing those clips in question now on the timeline except for the one in screenshot…49.png which is still generating the shadow file.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2019 13:49

[Post New]
Quote The screenshots show that you are using shadow files. You must let the gold icons in the video thumbnail change to green before placing them on the timeline to continue editing. Once they are green there should be no studder when playing the clip on the timeline.

There should be no problem playing those clips in question now on the timeline except for the one in screenshot…49.png which is still generating the shadow file.

Just figured out that the files lag when the shadow files are generated. When they're still generating and I put them on the timeline, that is when they're smooth. That explains why they start out smooth and then lag afterwards. So my problem occurs when the shadow files have completely generated, which takes a few minutes (and it also depends on how long/large the video file is).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 21. 2019 21:34