Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Banging Head Over HVEC Editing Software
masterdrago [Avatar]
Newbie Location: SE Texas Joined: Mar 12, 2019 20:55 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Got a GoPro 7 Black just b4 Christmas. Soon discovered my 3+ yo DellT1700 did not have the guts to open or edit the HVEC files from the camera and converting them to H-264 was going to kill a lot of time. Upgrading the machine was going to run $1,000+. I opted for a Dell XPS 15 Touch i7-8750H, 32Gig DDR4, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti 4Gig GDDR5, 4K 3840x2160 display. So now I'm beating my head to find the software to edit the best vids from the GoPro. Thought I was close when I downloaded the trial of CyberLink 17. Well, just discovered it is not compatible with the HVEC files (doesn't support them). Any suggestions for some more rabbit holes? The GoPro Quik and Studio are not doing very well. I tried Premiere Elements. No go there also. Yes, I can convert them using HandBrake or some other converter like VideoProc but that is what I would like to avoid. Is CyberLink even capable to dealing with the HVEC H265 files from the GoPro 7? What a PIA it has been for this complete noob to edit movies. Thanks for any assistance.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
PD17 will handle HVEC, H.265 files, just not the trial. The notes of the trial say:
"Importing and producing H.265 video files is not available"

Depending on the details of your edits and if you are recording in the 4K 60p setting of the GoPro7, you may or may not like your editing speed with selected platform but PD17 should be able to handle. You could always use 30 day return policy if you find you don't care for the product.

Jeff
masterdrago [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote PD17 will handle HVEC, H.265 files, just not the trial. The notes of the trial say:
"Importing and producing H.265 video files is not available"

Depending on the details of your edits and if you are recording in the 4K 60p setting of the GoPro7, you may or may not like your editing speed with selected platform but PD17 should be able to handle. You could always use 30 day return policy if you find you don't care for the product.

Jeff
I thought I may have seen that return policy on one of their pages. Since I'm a complete novice at taking and editing movies, I'm just having an uphill struggle. Since I have nothing to compare to, liking the editing speed will be very new, so donno. It is a lot of computer for such a small footprint. I ran conversions on 3 30 second vids using HandBrake to MKV files and I still get the same message "This version of PowerDirector does not support this feature". I will say this: the little laptop did in about 90 seconds what my 3+ yo desktop did in 20 minutes on the conversions - difference between an i5 and i7 8Gig memory vs 32Gig I suppose.

So if what you say is correct, and I'll check their web pages again, I can get the paid version and experiment for nearly 30 days, then get a refund?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 12. 2019 22:35

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Here is the 30 day info: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/purchase-faq-content.do?id=16356

Keep in mind, the trial has this too:
2K/4K resolution H.264 video files are not supported
Importing and producing H.265 video files is not available

So it's kind of hard to get a feel how the product may work for you with your real footage as the trial is too limited. Use Handbrake to convert to a basic 1920x1080 H.264 and you should be ok to play around.

Jeff
masterdrago [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Here is the 30 day info: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/purchase-faq-content.do?id=16356

Keep in mind, the trial has this too:
2K/4K resolution H.264 video files are not supported
Importing and producing H.265 video files is not available

So it's kind of hard to get a feel how the product may work for you with your real footage as the trial is too limited. Use Handbrake to convert to a basic 1920x1080 H.264 and you should be ok to play around.

Jeff
You've been very helpful. Thank you.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi masterdrago -

Jeff's advice about the trial version is spot on. It does limit some users' ability to actually trial the software.

I can tell you that my 11 year-old grandson edits HEVC video from his GoPro7 Black using PDR17 & he would be definitely more of a novice than you!

The paid version of PDR will see you right.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!