Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I use 3:2 aspect ration images from my Canon 5D camera
Steve99 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: So Cal Joined: Sep 11, 2012 22:51 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
PD16 Newbie --- My 5D camera puts out images at 5616 X 3744 pixels (3:2). What is the best way to make these images useful in PD16. Is there an easy way to change the aspect ratio to fill the PD16 screen without having black sections on the sides?
Thanks,
Steve
JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
Quote PD16 Newbie --- My 5D camera puts out images at 5616 X 3744 pixels (3:2). What is the best way to make these images useful in PD16. Is there an easy way to change the aspect ratio to fill the PD16 screen without having black sections on the sides?
Thanks,
Steve

There are two ways to convert the 3:2 to a 16:9 image.

1. You can put the image in the timeline and then edit it using the PiP designer. Resize it as you like. If you want to fill the screen with the image. some of it will be outside the margins and not visible.

2. You can put the image in the timeline and then use the crop tool. It will automatically make the screen image fit the width. You will need to crop part of the top or bottom, but it's as easy as dragging a box up or down. Here is a tutorial about that. This method will create a copy of the image in 16:9 and save it to the hard drive and to the media room. The first method avoids the copy. I find the second method faster.

--Jim
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Or a third way, depending on the criticality of the pics. Use CL CLVP technology. It does distort the image slightly so not for everything but it does have its place. Left mouse click on photo in timeline, "Set Clip Attributes" > "Set Image Stretch Mode..." and then use CLVP to stretch the image from the drop down.

Jeff
Steve99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
THANKS! I'll try both of your suggestions.
Steve

There are two ways to convert the 3:2 to a 16:9 image.

1. You can put the image in the timeline and then edit it using the PiP designer. Resize it as you like. If you want to fill the screen with the image. some of it will be outside the margins and not visible.

2. You can put the image in the timeline and then use the crop tool. It will automatically make the screen image fit the width. You will need to crop part of the top or bottom, but it's as easy as dragging a box up or down. Here is a tutorial about that. This method will create a copy of the image in 16:9 and save it to the hard drive and to the media room. The first method avoids the copy. I find the second method faster.

--Jim
Steve99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Jeff,

I did try Set Clips Attributs - CLVP. It works sometimes...sometimes people are short and fat, but it does allow the fix to be applied to all images at once....I'll see what works.
Cheers,
Steve

Quote Or a third way, depending on the criticality of the pics. Use CL CLVP technology. It does distort the image slightly so not for everything but it does have its place. Left mouse click on photo in timeline, "Set Clip Attributes" > "Set Image Stretch Mode..." and then use CLVP to stretch the image from the drop down.

Jeff
Steve99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks! I've tried all three suggestions and they work for horizontal images. How do you deal with vertical images? Please see the attachment.
Thanks,
Steve

Quote THANKS! I'll try both of your suggestions.
Steve

[Thumb - Capture.JPG]
 Filename
Capture.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Screen shot of vertical image in PD 16 preview window
 Filesize
47 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I normally leave them as is because I do't want to crop the image. You can zoom in and reposition them as desired with those white balls.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Another option beyond zooming, cropping and using CLVP is to leave the source clips in their natural dimensions and simply place a color board or related image/video on the track above your clips. That will give you a background rather than the harsh black emptiness. It's the same idea seen on TV or whenever vertical content is shown on horizontal screens.

If you have the NewBlue FX Essentials Pack 5 installed, there is even a Background Generator effect that will blur anything you apply it to. If you don't have that installed, the built in Blur or Gaussian Blur FX will also work.

There's no right or wrong, so use any combination of these ideas as you see fit.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Steve99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay. I'll try that.
Thx,
Steve

Quote I normally leave them as is because I do't want to crop the image. You can zoom in and reposition them as desired with those white balls.
Steve99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. I think I may have installed NewBlue FX Essentials Pack 5 when I did install of PDR16. How can I check to see if I have the Background Generator?
Thx,
Steve

Quote Another option beyond zooming, cropping and using CLVP is to leave the source clips in their natural dimensions and simply place a color board or related image/video on the track above your clips. That will give you a background rather than the harsh black emptiness. It's the same idea seen on TV or whenever vertical content is shown on horizontal screens.

If you have the NewBlue FX Essentials Pack 5 installed, there is even a Background Generator effect that will blur anything you apply it to. If you don't have that installed, the built in Blur or Gaussian Blur FX will also work.

There's no right or wrong, so use any combination of these ideas as you see fit.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks. I think I may have installed NewBlue FX Essentials Pack 5 when I did install of PDR16. How can I check to see if I have the Background Generator?

Go to the FX Room, but it can be hard to find anything specific with the default settings:

However, if you know the name of an effect, just start typing it in the search box, and things get much clearer

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 12. 2019 18:25

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Steve99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have these files installed:

ContentPack_Essential_PowerDirector16_PCP170517-01.exe
1_CyberLink_PowerDirector16_Ultra_VDE180201-01.exe
ContentPack_PremiumIII_PowerDirector16_PCP170519-01.exe
ContentPack_PremiumI_PowerDirector16_PCP170517-02.exe
ContentPack_PremiumII_PowerDirector16_PCP170517-03.exe
CyberLink_ColorDirector5_Ultra_CDR180302-01.exe

But I see that Essentials Pack 5 is an "extra" feature for $50, which I don't have. I'm trying some background images.
Thx,
Steve

Go to the FX Room, but it can be hard to find anything specific with the default settings:

However, if you know the name of an effect, just start typing it in the search box, and things get much clearer

optodata
[Post New]
Like I mentioned earlier, either Blur or Gaussian Blur (both native PD FX) will give you a background that ties in with your main content without distracting from it. You may also want to zoom in and pan the background image to give the best look.

YouTube/optodata

Steve99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. I now see I can't save Motion Styles, but can save a project with images using the motion styles I want to re-use. Do you think CL will allow custom Motion Styles in the future?

1) How do I do pan and zoom using PIP which I can save as a preset. Can you point me to a link to a video or ?? How do folks create/save/apply custom PIP motions to apply to many images?

What are the steps?

2) How do I get PDR16 to re-open my last used project at startup time?

Tomorrow I'll try blur and gaussian blur to try to get backgrounds that tie to the content. What are the steps to do that?

Many Thanks,
Steve

Quote Like I mentioned earlier, either Blur or Gaussian Blur (both native PD FX) will give you a background that ties in with your main content without distracting from it. You may also want to zoom in and pan the background image to give the best look.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Thanks. I now see I can't save Motion Styles, but can save a project with images using the motion styles I want to re-use. Do you think CL will allow custom Motion Styles in the future?

I have no idea. We're all end users here. Once you're more familiar with editing, if you see something that doesn't exist and would like to have added, use the Rate Us & Provide Suggestions box under the File menu to send your request to Cyberlink.

Quote 1) How do I do pan and zoom using PIP which I can save as a preset. Can you point me to a link to a video or ??

Thre are too many to list. There is a thread dedicated to tutorials at the top of the forum; there are many on DirectorZone; and you can search for PowerDirector Keyframe or Pan Zoom tutorials on YouTube.

Quote How do folks create/save/apply custom PIP motions to apply to many images?

What are the steps?

There's a very easy way: Select the clip that you've got with all the motions, then right-click and choose Copy Keyframe Attributes. Next, select as many clips as you want, then right-click and choose Paste Keyframe Attributes.

Quote 2) How do I get PDR16 to re-open my last used project at startup time?

Very easy.

YouTube/optodata

Steve99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
My comments below:

I have no idea. We're all end users here. Once you're more familiar with editing, if you see something that doesn't exist and would like to have added, use the Rate Us & Provide Suggestions box under the File menu to send your request to Cyberlink.
Okay...thx

Thre are too many to list. There is a thread dedicated to tutorials at the top of the forum; there are many on DirectorZone; and you can search for PowerDirector Keyframe or Pan Zoom tutorials on YouTube.

I'll look for one that is uses PIP for motion on images. Thx.

What are the downsides of PIP over Motion Styles

There's a very easy way: Select the clip that you've got with all the motions, then right-click and choose Copy Keyframe Attributes. Next, select as many clips as you want, then right-click and choose Paste Keyframe Attributes.

I think you suggested using a separate project with motion styles applied, then inserting the project when I want to copy and

paste keyframe attributes - yes? How do I use the inserted project?

Very easy. You are da Man!