Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD17, Disappearing Aliases and Missing Custom Colors
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I've been doing a lot of intensive editing projects recently and have run across a dozen issues in v2514.

Some are only mildly annoying, while others are rip-out-my-hair-then-slam-my-head-on-the desk-level (aka Death by Titles) frustrating. Some have been very difficult to reproduce, while other turn up in the simplest tests, and that's what I'm starting with.

There are two color-related problems: one with color board aliases, the other with custom colors. I don't know if these issues are specific to v2514, especially the second one since that seems to have been around for years, but this is the first time I've documented the behavior of either one.

This video shows the problems along with the simple steps to test them on any system. If anyone wants to try these out and confirm that this isn't something limited to just my desktop, I will report this to Cyberlink.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 03. 2019 19:58

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
A few dozen people have viewed this thread and 10 have watched the YT video, but I still need someone to perform these quick tests on their system and confirm my findings before I report the issue to CL.

I individually named 14 color boards that I used to highlight 2 weeks on a calendar, since I also needed to highlight individual dates later and it was time consuming to figure out which date is on which track. That's when I found that all my aliases vanished after reloading the project or closing/reopening PD17 (see attached clip for a timeline view)
 Filename
color board usage.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
3 sec timeline view
 Filesize
1999 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
702 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, I get the same results as you for colour boards and custom colours. I would say for sure the first one is a bug, as media file aliases are saved with the project. Not sure the second one is technically a bug per se. From what I remember the custom colors were never saved in any of the CyberLink color pickers in any of its software. I just checked my version of Label Print for example, and same results. I checked Word and it does save colours in "Recent Colours" area.

Either way, it would be beneficial to have these features for sure in saved projects.

Dave
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi optodata -

I was one of the few dozen who read your post and watched your screen capture. My delay in responding was partly because I'd never ever considered changing the alias of a colour board. I can see from your recent post how it would be useful.

Yes - like Dave - I found exactly what you did:

1. Colour board aliases are lost after closing & re-opening PDR.

2. Custom colours aren't save from one session to the next.

The custom colours thing has been that way since I started with PD7.

I suspect the lost aliases with colour boards is related to the fact that "colour boards" in PDR aren't real media. As I understand it they're generated dynamically (???). Someone clever help me out here!

Case in point - if you make a real colour board, a 1920x1080 image, and change the alias as shown in the video... the alias is retained no matter how many times PDR is closed or opened. I have a set of colour boards I use for various purposes, lovingly labelled by the RGB code. I just took one "80, 75, 3" and changed the alias to "Yukky Green"... & it'll stay that way till I click "Reset Alias".

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
[Post New]
Thank you both very much for testing this out on your end! I have submitted this to CL under ticket # CS001997974.

Custom colo(u)rs are saved to the Library.cfg file as detailed in this post, and they are "permanent" once created and not related to any individual project. However, since PD allows us to change the alias in the Media Libray, it seems like those aliases should also be stored permanently.

If the design decision is to save them on a project-by-project basis, as would be expected from any timeline aliases, then the PDS file should contain and retain that info, and that is clearly not the case with either alias. I like the workaround of making a screen shot of a color board to have something that retains the name I gave it, but then it's another library item to keep track of...

I have also reported the second item, although based on the breadth of products that this occurs on (not to mention that it's been going on since PD7), I expect to hear that non-retention is the expected behavio(u)r. If so, I'll report back here and will use the Rate Us & Provide Suggestions tool since I have a custom client pallette that I need to use in repeated projects and it's a pain to keep re-creating the same colo(u)rs over and over.

YouTube/optodata

optodata
[Post New]
I have heard back from Cyberlink on these issues, and here is the relevant section:

"Please know that we appreciate you for raising this concern to us. Please be informed that we are able to reproduce both issues in our lab.

For the 1st issue that the Color Board alias disappears after reopen a project, an engineer is assigned to check the issue.

For the 2nd issue that the custom color is not retained in Title Designer after reopen PowerDirector, please be advised that it is an expected behavior and is the same as Micosoft PowerPoint behavior. PowerDirector leverage Microsoft inbox color pallete to create a custom color and the behavior is not able to be changed in current design."

So it looks like one issue is being addressed while the second isn't really in their control. Still, I will suggest that they add that ability in a future version.

YouTube/optodata

Freshman1966 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 24, 2020 14:52 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have heard back from Cyberlink on these issues, and here is the relevant section:

"Please know that we appreciate you for raising this concern to us. Please be informed that we are able to reproduce both issues in our lab.

For the 1st issue that the Color Board alias disappears after reopen a project, an engineer is assigned to check the issue.

For the 2nd issue that the custom color is not retained in Title Designer after reopen PowerDirector, please be advised that it is an expected behavior and is the same as Micosoft PowerPoint behavior. PowerDirector leverage Microsoft inbox color pallete to create a custom color and the behavior is not able to be changed in current design."

So it looks like one issue is being addressed while the second isn't really in their control. Still, I will suggest that they add that ability in a future version.

I am an absolute newbie with PD and so far I mostly like editing videos. I did some programming myself for a few years and I am still working in IT.
The fact that it is technically not possible to save custom colors is absolutely ridiculous. Referring to limitations because the make use of a Microsoft component is weak. For some it might be a minor flaw, but what it truely means is that you are more or less stuck with the color palette that microsoft provides or you have to write down and type in your custom colors everytime you need them.
Terrible usablilty.
Does anyone know of a way to "hack" this behavior by modifying a Microsoft setting somewhere?

Thanks and cheers
Freshman
optodata
[Post New]
Quote The fact that it is technically not possible to save custom colors is absolutely ridiculous.

There hasn't been any change in these issues since these posts occurred. Once I heard about the built-in limitation, I didn't look any further into the PP inbox color palette other than to get a brief understanding of what they were referring to. Both issues are still present in PD18/365.

Perhaps some additional action on the Rate Us & Provide Feedback option under the File menu will get a response in an upcoming patch, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

YouTube/optodata

optodata
[Post New]
The two workarounds I can think of would be to save the color in Color Boards, so you could at least obtain the RGB code again; and/or to open a previous project where you used the desired color and then open up the Title Designer (if you saved a custom text color) and click on the color to change it.

At that point you can add the color to the custom palatte, and it will remain accessible there until you close PD down, even if you open other projects. Sorry there don't seem to be any better solutions.

YouTube/optodata