Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director and HDR ?
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD 14 but slowly converting from 8 bit to 10 bit, an other recently filled link was a 75" 10 bit TV. PC handles 4K/60 4:4:4 10 bit, GTX1060, can any of the PD versions handle 10 bit? UHD BR recorder + player handles 10 bit HDR too.
Major link missing is a 10 bit camcorder.

Any other affordable 10 bit editors ?, use private messenger to answer that please.

Thanks

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have PD 14 but slowly converting from 8 bit to 10 bit, an other recently filled link was a 75" 10 bit TV. PC handles 4K/60 4:4:4 10 bit, GTX1060, can any of the PD versions handle 10 bit? UHD BR recorder + player handles 10 bit HDR too.
Major link missing is a 10 bit camcorder.

Any other affordable 10 bit editors ?, use private messenger to answer that please.

Thanks

Eugene

A GTX1060 is quite underpowered for 4K 10-Bit workflow... Have you actually tried editing that type of media on your PC?

Most camcorders who are doing 10-Bit are higher cost Mirrorless or DSLRs, and Cinema Cameras (GH4/5, BMPCC, etc.). They are recording to ProRes, DNxHR, or HEVC - two of those arne't supported in PDR, and likely not to be in the near future, as there are licensing costs and tend to be looked upon as "Pro" features - a market CyberLink likes to mention, but has never really truly targeted.

You also cannot grade and correct 10-bit media on 8-bit desktop displays (unless you're rendering out to Rec. 709, anyways), or televisions with all manner of after market enhancements enabled on them (as this tends to look awful when someone plays the footage on a different device).
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]

A GTX1060 is quite underpowered for 4K 10-Bit workflow... Have you actually tried editing that type of media on your PC?

Most camcorders who are doing 10-Bit are higher cost Mirrorless or DSLRs, and Cinema Cameras (GH4/5, BMPCC, etc.). They are recording to ProRes, DNxHR, or HEVC - two of those arne't supported in PDR, and likely not to be in the near future, as there are licensing costs and tend to be looked upon as "Pro" features - a market CyberLink likes to mention, but has never really truly targeted.

You also cannot grade and correct 10-bit media on 8-bit desktop displays (unless you're rendering out to Rec. 709, anyways), or televisions with all manner of after market enhancements enabled on them (as this tends to look awful when someone plays the footage on a different device).

Well it looks like it will be a while before I get there. The 1060 works well in converting UHD 8bit to UHD 10bit that I need and does it in near real time. Editing on PD14 in 4K is fast and very stable but no 10bit editing yet, PD14 is all I have now.

Thanks for your email and reply.

Steep learning curve again.

Regards

Gene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A