Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Import AVI with Transparency doesn't work ?
Ragged Jock [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Jan 30, 2015 22:16 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Question - Can Power Director 16 import AVI videos with transparencey ? I have version 16.0.3424.0

I use Bluff Titler for creating titles, as an example a Lower Thirds title. When exporting I export the file as "Uncompressed AVI with Transparencey". After importing the file into PD and putting on Track 2 with a picture on track 1, the transparencey is not working. The black remains and blocks out the Picture. I know I can use Chroma Key, but this is not preferred as it does not leave the title very sharp , as some of the black bleeds through and also lose some (minimal) of the title - even after adjusting the sliders. I know that PD can import .MOV files with transparencey OK, but need clarification if it will work with .AVI ??

I have tried importing the file into both Corel Video Studio and Vegas, as i have both of these, and it imports and works as it should, so I know it's not the AVI file issue. I could do the transparencey portion of the production in either of these 2 and then export the video into PD for continuing, but this is not a very productive workflow. There are some features in PD that I prefer, so would like to do the whole thing in the one program.

As a further note, I am able to export from Bluff Titler as "Numbered frame with Transparencey" which exports a bunch of .PNG files with transparencey. If I import all these at set the Duration as 1 the transparencey is maintained. This to me is a workaround for a procedure that should be as simple as importing the AVI file ?

So back to square 1 - Can PD16 import AVI files with transparency, and if so what am i missing in the process ?
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

As far as I am aware, .avi with transparency is not supported officially by PDR16, unless any member can suggest a workaround?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Can you attach a brief sample clip? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I think your numbered PNG workaround from Bluff Titler is the best approach.

I just tried a bunch of different online and downloaded apps to convert a transparent AVI clip from Bluff into MOV, but all of them removed the transparency.

As a comparison, NewBlue Titler Pro will export as a transparent MOV, and MediaInfo actually shows the video being encoded as PNGs. So essentially, the MOV container is simply holding all of those transparent images in sequence:

For Barry, I've attached a low-res AVI to play around with
 Filename
Bluff Titler test2.avi
[Disk]
 Description
transparent sample
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
264 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Ragged Jock [Avatar]
[Post New]
Barry,
Thank you for your response about this issue.
The sample AVI file is 632mb for a 06 sec clip, so am not sure if I can upload it to the forum.
We could try a PM and I could send you a link to download, if you still want to test it.

It seems though, that through the other responses, that PD isnt able to import AVI with transparencey !!

Too bad, as it would be more convenient than the PNG route, especially when resizing or trying to move the title in the production.

Cheers
Ragged Jock [Avatar]
[Post New]
Optodata,
Thank you for your response.

I noticed that the small AVI that you attached does not have transparencey ?

As a second note: Do you know of any software that may be able to convert the PNG files into a MOV video ?
I do have Vegas, so I'll check to see it can output this file from the PNG set !!

Thank you
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Optodata,
Thank you for your response.

I noticed that the small AVI that you attached does not have transparencey ?

As a second note: Do you know of any software that may be able to convert the PNG files into a MOV video ?
I do have Vegas, so I'll check to see it can output this file from the PNG set !!

Thank you

It must have been lost in the down conversion, and I didn't have another editor to check for transparency. Here is the full length AVI clip, directly from Bluff.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
SparkyVegas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 12, 2011 05:53 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Ragged, also a fan of Blufftitler and a shame PDR doesn't work with AVI files with transparency. Seems odd that a Windows video editing program won't do transparency using a Microsoft container, but WILL do Apple formats if you have Quicktime installed with the final version or Lite, even though no longer supported for Windows since 2016.

BUT, there is a MUCH easier way to use Bluff transparent creations in PDR, by converting them to mov files instead of using the numbered png's.

Of course you can download open source ffmpeg and do it from command line. Better yet, just use a shell GUI for ffmpeg. A while ago I included a link to a freeware program in a Bluff community post, but not sure if it's OK to post it here. You can just Google it, it's called XMedia Recode. It's a very basic site in both English and German and offers a variety of installation options including a portable version. It also has Intel Quick Sync and Nvidia support. (Nvidia 378.66 or higher driver) Once installed it also has a number of languages if needed.

I feel it's very easy to use and on my dedicated video machine it's very fast, but of course your mileage may vary. I'll include some screen shots with instructions, but I'll have to continue in a second post. Seems I can only do 3 attachments at a time.
[Thumb - Screenshot (1).png]
 Filename
Screenshot (1).png
[Disk]
 Description
Step 1
 Filesize
96 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
[Thumb - Screenshot (2).png]
 Filename
Screenshot (2).png
[Disk]
 Description
Step 2
 Filesize
84 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Thumb - Screenshot (3).png]
 Filename
Screenshot (3).png
[Disk]
 Description
Step 3
 Filesize
128 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
SparkyVegas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Ragged, also a fan of Blufftitler and a shame PDR doesn't work with AVI files with transparency. Seems odd that a Windows video editing program won't do transparency using a Microsoft container, but WILL do Apple formats if you have Quicktime installed with the final version or Lite, even though no longer supported for Windows since 2016.

BUT, there is a MUCH easier way to use Bluff transparent creations in PDR, by converting them to mov files instead of using the numbered png's.

Of course you can download open source ffmpeg and do it from command line. Better yet, just use a shell GUI for ffmpeg. A while ago I included a link to a freeware program in a Bluff community post, but not sure if it's OK to post it here. You can just Google it, it's called XMedia Recode. It's a very basic site in both English and German and offers a variety of installation options including a portable version. It also has Intel Quick Sync and Nvidia support. (Nvidia 378.66 or higher driver) Once installed it also has a number of languages if needed.

I feel it's very easy to use and on my dedicated video machine it's very fast, but of course your mileage may vary. I'll include some screen shots with instructions, but I'll have to continue in a second post. Seems I can only do 3 attachments at a time.

PART 2

Here's the last screenshot.

Also a quick example of a Bluff Avi converted to mov. Simple rotating reflective text with flower particles produced in PDR over one of the included pics. The Bluff AVI was 3.70GB and the XMedia Recode mov with high bitrate used was 264MB. So if you create something you may use again, after converting you can delete the AVI and save disk space.

https://youtu.be/FDMWysB6dz8
[Thumb - Screenshot (4).png]
 Filename
Screenshot (4).png
[Disk]
 Description
Step 4
 Filesize
86 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 10. 2019 05:55

Ragged Jock [Avatar]
[Post New]

PART 2

Also a quick example of a Bluff Avi converted to mov. Simple rotating reflective text with flower particles produced in PDR over one of the included pics. The Bluff AVI was 3.70GB and the XMedia Recode mov with high bitrate used was 264MB. So if you create something you may use again, after converting you can delete the AVI and save disk space.

Sparky,
Thank you very much for the information regarding your process. I will definitely give it a try. It will, for sure, make the process a lot easier. I see also by your tube post that the quality still seems very good after the conversion, especially due to the file size difference that you mention.

On another note. I also have Video Studio X10 on my computer, and have found out that their new version now supports export of Transparent MOV files. I may upgrade because as a user I can get it real cheap (39.99). I am going to try your trick first to save the 39 bucks though.

Cheers
Ragged Jock [Avatar]
[Post New]

PART 2

Sparky,
Further to my earlier response of today, I have tried this now and it works like a charm.

Thank you very much for your response and providing a solution that works.

Life just became a bit easier !!!
SparkyVegas [Avatar]
[Post New]

Sparky,
Further to my earlier response of today, I have tried this now and it works like a charm.

Thank you very much for your response and providing a solution that works.

Life just became a bit easier !!!

Ragged, glad I could help!

I've used Blufftitler for several years and it's so much more than just a 'titler'. You can get very creative with all it's features or customize the templates they offer. Plus they have frequent updates and are active in their community forums for answering questions or feature requests.

I've also used PDR going back to version 8 or earlier, and because of certain features and workflow I have preferred it over other editors. So not being able to import AVI and keep the transparency is pretty frustrating.

The transparent png image sequence was also a pain as you mentioned. Even a 4 second clip @ 30fps is 122 individual images and that increases with time length or framerate. Another suggestion made was to put in a solid background and chroma key it. With all the motion, color and reflection you can do in Bluff, that often produced crappy results. It's kinda like watching the weather person and holes or jagged edges appear in their clothes when lighting or their outfit color is too close to the keyed color. Command line ffmpeg works to convert to mov, but again, not a great workflow.

So it took a lot of trial and error of trying multiple converters, but finally stumbled into XMedia and it did the conversion well, and did it quickly. Plus it can convert a ton of other formats when I have the need. So it has been a great work around.

And while PDR isn't the only editor that won't keep the transparency of AVI files, I continue to hope they add that feature.

Oh, and my apologies. I noticed a typo in the first screenshot, but what can I say, I quickly knocked it all out in the middle of the night. embarassed