Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 17 produce all PD inserts into new projects and make editing of those segments difficult.
Philippina [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 10, 2016 09:43 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
I normally edit my YouTube video's in the following manner: I start with a teaser: a short extract from the video to entice viewers to continue watching. Then I insert one of my previously edited PD intro sequences. Then the rest of the video follows and right at the end of the video I again insert another previously edited PD sequence, a closing or exit sequence.
In PD 16 I could insert these previously edited intro sequence and closing sequence to a new project and could also edit those sequences, because these projects were inserted with all their tracks and individual shots visible.
In PD 17 when I try to insert a PD project (an opening intro sequence) PD inserts this PD project as one "video": a produced/mixed pdf file on 2 tracks only (sound and video). No waveform is visible on this audio track and no individual shots used in the intro sequence is visible. Only one sound track and one video track.
Even the titles I have added to these intro and closing sequences is incorporated/mixed onto the video track.
This causes problems when I want to edit these inserted sequences in the existing project, for example when I try to move the music to overlap the shot just before the inserted intro.
I therefore cannot edit the titles in these intro and closing sequences to update info of my new project.
IWhy is there no option that I can still insert a PD project into the currently edited project with all the tracks of the inserted project visible and editable?
This is rendering PD inserts into currently edited projects almost impossible to edit.

Please help.

(PS to my computor info: I have installed a second hard drive to this computor)
[Thumb - Computor info.PNG]
 Filename
Computor info.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
20 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
[Thumb - Inserted PD intro's mixed,merged into 2 tracks.PNG]
 Filename
Inserted PD intro's mixed,merged into 2 tracks.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
45 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
NigelVideo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2014 13:43 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
When I insert nested projects they appear as additional tabs in the timeline pane.
They ALSO appear in the master project tab as a video/audio clip with a "pds" icon at the bottom left however they CANNOT be edited here, they can only be edited by switching to the nested project tab which btw can NOT be selected if you have the master project timeline locked so must unlock 1st.

If your behaviour is different check your nested project setting in prefs (see attached pic) since it can be changed from the default of "Nested" to "Expanded". I'm not sure what "Expanded" means as there is no doc explaining it and I haven't tried it.
[Thumb - PrefsNestedProj.jpg]
 Filename
PrefsNestedProj.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
NestedProjPrefSetting
 Filesize
177 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If your behaviour is different check your nested project setting in prefs (see attached pic) since it can be changed from the default of "Nested" to "Expanded". I'm not sure what "Expanded" means as there is no doc explaining it and I haven't tried it.

It's simply described in the help:
Inserting Expanded Projects

Your previously saved projects can be imported as expanded projects, which imports a project's media files, effects, transitions, etc. directly in the timeline.

Inserting Nested Projects

Your previously saved projects can be imported as nested projects, allowing you more flexibility and to make edits without affecting the rest of your existing project.

Jeff

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Philippina -

In PD 16 I could insert these previously edited intro sequence and closing sequence to a new project and could also edit those sequences, because these projects were inserted with all their tracks and individual shots visible.

If you want PDR17 to behave just as PDR16 does, all you need to do is set your preferences to "Expanded", as shown in Nigel's screenshot.

In PD 17 when I try to insert a PD project (an opening intro sequence) PD inserts this PD project as one "video": a produced/mixed pdf file on 2 tracks only (sound and video). No waveform is visible on this audio track and no individual shots used in the intro sequence is visible. Only one sound track and one video track.

When you import a project as "Nested", it appears on a single track. If you double click it, all the tracks will be visible & you can edit as you wish.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Philippina [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote When I insert nested projects they appear as additional tabs in the timeline pane.
They ALSO appear in the master project tab as a video/audio clip with a "pds" icon at the bottom left however they CANNOT be edited here, they can only be edited by switching to the nested project tab which btw can NOT be selected if you have the master project timeline locked so must unlock 1st.

If your behaviour is different check your nested project setting in prefs (see attached pic) since it can be changed from the default of "Nested" to "Expanded". I'm not sure what "Expanded" means as there is no doc explaining it and I haven't tried it.

Thank you, Nigel. You introduced me to a new default editing setting that I overlooked. I now do understand the difference between nested and expanded. In the nested version the clip is shown as 2 tracks only. Expanded enable me to edit the inserted clip/intro sequence.
Hoewever, even when all the tracks are unlocked, I am only able to edit the various parts of the video separately: above the timeline two buttons appear. I can select the hook/teaser of the video or I can select the inserted intro sequence, or the next main part of the video, the body.

I would like to be able to simultaneously have the various segments available for editing, because I would like to overlap the music of the inserted intro backwards to the last few frames of the hook/teaser. And I would also like to overlap and fade out the music under the voice in the 3rd segment of the video, the body of the video.

But thank you for setting me into the right direction!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 20. 2019 02:31

Philippina [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Philippina -

If you want PDR17 to behave just as PDR16 does, all you need to do is set your preferences to "Expanded", as shown in Nigel's screenshot.

When you import a project as "Nested", it appears on a single track. If you double click it, all the tracks will be visible & you can edit as you wish.

Cheers - Tony

Thank you, Jeff and Tony who followed up on Nigel's advice. All three of you really have helped me. I did change the default editing settings to expanded inserts.

However, as I explained to Nigel, I would like to be able to simultaneously have the various segments/pdf files active and available for editing "in one timeline" to be able to do overlaps, etc. It is handy to be able to click on all the pdf files individually and edit the individual files on "seperate timelines" or individual projects. I need to edit them as a normal part of the new project. This is the way PD 16 behaves and I have been editing daily new video's with no problem. Suddenly I am stuck without that option in PD 17.

What shall I do? At the moment it still seems to be an either/or case. Either edit the new project or edit the inserted pdf sequence. This handicap is preventing me from editing easily. I prefer the uncomplicated PD 16 function so far.

Please, I need futher help.
[Thumb - Teaser and inserted pdf intro and body of new project..PNG]
 Filename
Teaser and inserted pdf intro and body of new project..PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
118 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

As far as I understand your requirement - if your default insert project is selected "as expanded project" the inserted project should be inserted just as in PDR16, with all assets, timelines etc. available for normal editing.

It works as expected on my system, just as Tony outlined.

If that isn't happening, please check the default again.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Philippina [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

As far as I understand your requirement - if your default insert project is selected "as expanded project" the inserted project should be inserted just as in PDR16, with all assets, timelines etc. available for normal editing.

It works as expected on my system, just as Tony outlined.

If that isn't happening, please check the default again.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Thank you for taking time to attend to my problem.
No, unfortunately, the situation is still the same. See 2 attachments: Nr 1 shows my correct default editing settings: Expanded.
Nr 2 shows my timeline, still with the inserted sequence shown as a nested project between the first part of the current project and the next part of the project.

What to do now?
[Thumb - Defaul setting Expanded.PNG]
 Filename
Defaul setting Expanded.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
[Thumb - Inserted pd intro still not expanded in normal editing timeline.PNG]
 Filename
Inserted pd intro still not expanded in normal editing timeline.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
120 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
OK, take a backup of your project .pds for safety.

Delete out the nested project.

Re-insert the same project and it should re-insert as an expanded one.

The change in default will only act on new insertions, it won't change already nested projects to expanded ones, or vice versa.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 20. 2019 03:50

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Philippina [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote OK, take a backup of your project .pds for safety.

Delete out the nested project.

Re-insert the same project and it should re-insert as an expanded one.

The change in default will only act on new insertions, it won't change already nested projects to expanded ones, or vice versa.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Voila!!! Thank you. This has solved my problem. I am overjoyed!!!
Much obliged.
Ina