Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
WARNING: PD 17 STILL UNSTABLE - YOU CAN LOSE YOUR WORK UNEXPECTEDLY
NigelVideo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2014 13:43 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Even after applying the latest PD17 patch (v.2514 PD17) PD is still prone to unexpected crashes AND corruption of your nested projects.

CRASHES DURING SIMPLE TASKS:
I have experienced crashes (the builtin error report window pops up) even when doing the most simple things such as:
1) Changing the duration of a video clip.
2) Changing the volume of a music clip.

LOST NESTED PROJECTS VIDEO CLIPS:
Also be careful as when using nested projects TWICE I have lost all video clips on a nested project tab for no apparent reason.
This means ALL work you have done on the nested project is completely lost since there is nothing left to edit.

BEFORE & AFTER FILES FOR NESTED PROJECT CORRUPTION
For those that may have the knowledge to find the problem in the PDS file I have uploaded the BEFORE/GOOD file to the dropbox URL below .
1) CoolgardieAll11.pds: GOOD nested project called "CoolgardieBaby4" has no problems as all clips are dispalyed.
2) CoolgardieAll11.1.CORRUPT.pds: CORRUPT nested project called "CoolgardieBaby4" now has all clips missing so can no longer be edited.

FYI: I rolled back to CoolgardieAll11.pds and have saved 40 versions since then and so far so good (as far as the corrupt nested project problem) but still get crashes described above however this is concerning as you have to continually check nested project tab clips haven't disappeared as this can happen at anytime.

Dropbox URL: <a>https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oxnu8vcosvv19d6/AADmY5nd3vra5C9v41JmCkgJa?dl=0</a>

(Posting here as I have raised a Support Ticket with CL however they just ask questions as if they haven't even read the support ticket and/or request something that you cannot do like upload your 30GB packed project file as you just don't have the upload bandwidth nor data allowance required).
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Not my experience at all, Nigel.

And I don't think it would describe a typical user's experience.

Is it possible the issue is at your end, with your system?
NigelVideo [Avatar]
[Post New]
RE: Not my experience.
Do you use nested projects?
I have 5 nested projects added to my master project which has total runtime of 43 minutes.
I would be interested to know if you and other that may read this post use the nested projects feature.
Please let me know AND if you experience problems or not.

RE: I don't think it would describe a typical user's experience.
I think a "typical" PD User probably wouldn't use nested projects.

RE: Is it possible the issue is at your end, with your system?
Unlikely as it's a brand new Dell XPS 13 9360, Gen 8 i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD with W10 Pro & a VERY clean install of Office and PD17 Ultimate. Have run full Dell diagnositics a number of times and has always passed with no problems detected.
No other crashes or problems experienced outside of PD.
Have been using PD since v13 and NEVER experienced this level of instability with the product.

FYI: I am an IT Infrastructure Architect of some 30yrs experience and have an advanced level of understanding of my hardware and windows OS.
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Okay, Nigel. You win.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 19. 2019 07:52

NigelVideo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Was not trying to "win" just replying to each issue you raised.
I appreciate your response to my post.

FYI I started a new project today WITHOUT any nested projects and still experienced an unexpected crash while doing something simple in Themes (can't remember exactly what) so am genuinely interested in others experience in regards to PD17's stability..
Are you using 365 version?
I'm using Ultimate version so perhaps that may explain our different experiences.
Hankster65
Newbie Location: Kettering, OH Joined: Dec 04, 2018 09:19 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Was not trying to "win" just replying to each issue you raised.
I appreciate your response to my post.

FYI I started a new project today WITHOUT any nested projects and still experienced an unexpected crash while doing something simple in Themes (can't remember exactly what) so am genuinely interested in others experience in regards to PD17's stability..
Are you using 365 version?
I'm using Ultimate version so perhaps that may explain our different experiences.

PD 17.0.2514.2 (Ultra version purchased at Best Buy and loaded from disk.)
Windows 10
Dell 3558, I-3, 8gb ram
Not using nested projects

I've used it virtually every day for 3 months. No stability problems whatsoever. Runs like a fine made Swiss watch. If you don't take joy in the snow you'll have less joy in your life and the same amount of snow.
NonnyM [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 04, 2012 13:40 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
I have occasional problems with videos from my cameras, car cams, and loaned videos. All of which do hiccup.

I regularly refresh the save of whatever software I use. So hopefully do not lose too much.

I do wonder if it is something to do with the codecs getting confused.

Where I think there may be a problem with PD17 when it automatically saves and I maybe doing something complex at the time. PD either freezes and hangs, then go into stasis for a while, then recovers, or just crashes.

I stop the automatic saves and make sure I manually save the work regularly, seems to work for me.

This Win 7 Home SP 1, PD 13
Processor i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), (RAM) 8.00 GB, Sys Drive 120 gig SSD, Data Drive 1 Terrabyte, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ii , Portable USB3 2 Terrabyte

NigelVideo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks guys for feedback this is exactly what I was looking for.

CODECS:
Hankster65 do you have any additional CODECS installed?
I have Grass Valley CODEC v7.31.2939 installed as its required to read my source AVI files.
I also had this CODEC installed when I completed a large project using PD15 but did NOT experience any stability probs with that version though was running Windows 8.1 on an older/less powerful laptop at that time.

AUTOSAVE:
NonnyM thanks for the info re autosaves - I will now turn that off since I save so regularly anyway (due to PD crashes) plus when I once used a "recovered" pds file version I found my project had been corrupted but not till a few days latter so lost DAYS worth of work.

BITLOCKER:
My laptop came with Win10Pro and bitlocker was already enabled.
I researched it and found that with modern CPUs it apparently adds very little overhead so left it enabled however since I'm running out of options I will try turning this off however calcs suggest it will take ~9hrs to decrypt my 270GB of used space so will have to do this overnight.
Hankster65
Newbie Location: Kettering, OH Joined: Dec 04, 2018 09:19 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks guys for feedback this is exactly what I was looking for.

CODECS:
Hankster65 do you have any additional CODECS installed?

No, I do not. It's vanilla all the way. If you don't take joy in the snow you'll have less joy in your life and the same amount of snow.
NigelVideo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok so PD just completed exited without warning (no error/nothing) while just clicking a photo in Theme Designer.
Don't know why I hadn't done this sooner but reviewed Eventlog and found the error below which coincides with the time of unexpected quit.
Googled and searched forum for "AEJ_Converter.dll" but didn't find much.
Does anyone have any info on this error that may help me solve my instability problems?

Eventlog Error:
Faulting application name: PDR.exe, version: 17.0.2514.0, time stamp: 0x5c3c2865
Faulting module name: AEJ_Converter.dll, version: 2.0.1.2807, time stamp: 0x552375b4
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000001cf30
Faulting process ID: 0x115c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4c8cb46bc1e77
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector17\PDR.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector17\CESdlls\AEJ_Converter.dll
Report ID: 9a054630-2414-4dbd-9fd0-d3ce1dfc7b34
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
NigelVideo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Completely uninstalled PD17 & GV CODEC.
Rebooted & reinstalled GV CODEC (this time latest version v8.50.1927) then PD17 all using "Run as admin".
Launched PD & prompted to install latest patch which I did then started using PD.
After about 15mins was working in Theme Designer and just clicking a photo when PD unexpectedly quit.
Looked at event viewer and found same error (below) due to faulting module AEJ_Converter.dll.
Anyone else having this problem?

AEJ_Converter.dll version info:
File version 2.0.1.2807
Product name Cyberlink AEJ_Conv Dynamic Link Library
Product version 2.0.1.2807
Size 273 KB
Date modified 27/09/2018 1:06 PM
Language Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan)
Original filename AEJ_Conv.dll

EVENTLOG ERROR:
Faulting application name: PDR.exe, version: 17.0.2514.0, time stamp: 0x5c3c2865
Faulting module name: AEJ_Converter.dll, version: 2.0.1.2807, time stamp: 0x552375b4
Faulting process ID: 0x3158
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4c8fa5b1112a3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector17\PDR.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector17\CESdlls\AEJ_Converter.dll
Report ID: 89523148-1e92-4f16-bc32-f94a6bee4640

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 20. 2019 04:51

NigelVideo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Uninstalled PD17 and reinstalled my previous version PD15 from Director Suit 5.
This was 100% stable on my old Win8.1 laptop but now on my new W10Pro laptop PD15 quit unexpectedly just like PD17.
Gave the same eventlog error (below).
Has anybody else had problems caused by module AEJ_Converter.dll?

Faulting application name: PDR.exe, version: 15.0.3929.0, time stamp: 0x5a7ab45e
Faulting process ID: 0x373c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4c909a8ecda59
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector15\PDR.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector15\CESdlls\AEJ_Converter.dll
Report ID: ea963c50-21be-4d11-a826-8a19860b0772
NigelVideo [Avatar]
[Post New]
For others that may find this thread I could NOT resolve this problem on either my old laptop running PD15 OR on my new laptop running PD17 (both were "perpetual" versions ie NONE subscription versions) despite multiple uninstalls and reinstalls.

The solution was I had to buy PD 17 again by buying "Director Suite 365" (subscription version).
Gioba59 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2019 19:35 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote For others that may find this thread I could NOT resolve this problem on either my old laptop running PD15 OR on my new laptop running PD17 (both were "perpetual" versions ie NONE subscription versions) despite multiple uninstalls and reinstalls.

The solution was I had to buy PD 17 again by buying "Director Suite 365" (subscription version).

Hi Nigel
I have your same problem, are you suggesting to go with director suite 365?
NigelVideo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes that is what I did HOWEVER 1st uninstall all Cyberlink products AND then delete all Cyberlink folders left behind in the Programs folder. Make sure to backup any pds files.
I did this before installing DS365 as I only just noticed the uninstall leaves alot behind.
You could then try reinstalling PD17 again just in case this may resolve it.
If not repeat above and you'll have to go DS365.
I found a 30% discount special till 24th Feb:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 22. 2019 05:26

zephyra [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 06, 2019 15:01 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Every version of PD has been incredibly unstable for me. That's the problem with a company that issues incremental versions every year instead of fixing, polishing, and improving the prior versions. Gotta chase that dollar every new year...