Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Shove and Slide corrupted
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Been working all afternoon on a video and used transitions Shove and Slide quite extensively, but now both have become corrupted. Shove now behaves like Slide, Slide behaves sort of like Wipe.

Basically is there is corruption in the collection.

Instances where I earlier used Shove still work ok. Its just new uses where the behaviour is wrong.

The demo seen when hovering over the icon displays correctly.

The actual behaviour when applied is wrong.

Can I reload just the transitions somehow? Rather than a complete reinstal of PD16?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Instances where I earlier used Shove still work ok. Its just new uses where the behaviour is wrong

Do you mean that the behavior is normal elsewhere in the same project, as in any location where you haven't done any transition work; or is the behavior normal only in other, previously existing projects?

Either way, try deleting all "corrupted" transitions and manually delete the cache files for that project. You may need to close PD and open a new or different project to clear the cached files. Then reopen the affected project and try placing the transitions again.

If you're still seeing normal behavior at all in any project, then the collection would not seem to have been damaged.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 17. 2019 14:38

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]

Do you mean that the behavior is normal elsewhere in the same project, as in any location where you haven't done any transition work; or is the behavior normal only in other, previously existing projects?

Either way, try deleting all "corrupted" transitions and manually delete the cache files for that project. You may need to close PD and open a new or different project to clear the cached files. Then reopen the affected project and try placing the transitions again.

If you're still seeing normal behavior at all in any project, then the collection would not seem to have been damaged.

Hi thanks for your reply

To clarify - this is a large project that has used Shove transitions many times earlier in the timeline and they all continue to work perfect.

Now some good news. Tried your first suggestion NewProject fresh start import 2 clips, drop on a Shove at their join - perfect!!

Now comes your next suggestion - delete cache files.

So not being sure exactly which cache files you were referring to - I
a) deleted all autosave files - no improvement
b) nothing in Preview Cache folder
c) found and cleared out MediaCache folder - no improvement
d) manually deleted all temp files (Manual Derlete button in preferences) - no improvement.

I add that before I started this I deleted the two offending instances of Shove transitions on the timeline and saved the project.

Just found another cache folder in ....appdata/roaming/cyberlink/powerdirector/16/cache/loads of folders and stuff in here but this looks a bit serious - is this the cache folder that might do some good?

Am I right in thinking its safe to delete any cache like folders in Cyberlink areas with the only downside being slow start up when resuming editing?

Thanks for your help - it's getting promising.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Now comes your next suggestion - delete cache files.

So not being sure exactly which cache files you were referring to - I
a) deleted all autosave files - no improvement
b) nothing in Preview Cache folder
c) found and cleared out MediaCache folder - no improvement
d) manually deleted all temp files (Manual Derlete button in preferences) - no improvement.

I add that before I started this I deleted the two offending instances of Shove transitions on the timeline and saved the project.

It was option d), but that didn't seem to change anything. You said you'd deleted the offending instances earlier and you saw the transitions behaving normally in a new project. What happens when you add them to the previously affected points in your main project?

As for the question about deleting items in the Cyberlink areas of appdata\, I think that overall it's safe to do but I wouldn't purge everything there unnecessarily. You may want to check the \PowerDirector\16.0\Cache\DSPCache\Transition folder to see if anything there is from today's escapes and delete them.

Another option would be to rename the ProjectCache.xml file in the main 16.0\Cache folder since that seems to hold all the mapping info for the cached files. If you get any serious errors, close PD and restore the original file name (note that you may have to delete a new version before you can restore the original file name).

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

AlanR47
[Post New]

It was option d), but that didn't seem to change anything. You said you'd deleted the offending instances earlier and you saw the transitions behaving normally in a new project. What happens when you add them to the previously affected points in your main project?

As for the question about deleting items in the Cyberlink areas of appdata\, I think that overall it's safe to do but I wouldn't purge everything there unnecessarily. You may want to check the \PowerDirector\16.0\Cache\DSPCache\Transition folder to see if anything there is from today's escapes and delete them.

Another option would be to rename the ProjectCache.xml file in the main 16.0\Cache folder since that seems to hold all the mapping info for the cached files. If you get any serious errors, close PD and restore the original file name (note that you may have to delete a new version before you can restore the original file name).

Oh dear - I think I just (no - I know I just) realised whats going on and I owe you an apology.

This is what I am playing with.

2 video clips adjacent on the timeline (same track) touching but no transition.
On a higher track there is a jpg sitting right over the joint of the videos
I do this often as it makes a neat way of adding a still photo to the project whilst maintaining the appropriate soundtrack.
Downside is its a bit brutal just to the see the instant switch from vid to still and still to vid as we get to the end of the jpg so I fade or whatever the ends of the jpg and it looks nicer I think.

When I tried the new project suggestion I quickly used 2 clips which I dumped a Shove over their join and reported all was good. What I failed to notice was that I did not replicate the original design - perfectly. So erroneously assumed it was a good result.

But what I have now realised is that whilst a fade on the ends of the jpg works as it first gently obscures the video and then gently reveals the underlying 2nd video, something like a shove needs to interract with both items its transitioning with to get the expected result.

I can tell you're beginning to see whats coming. smile

But of course the jpg has no knowledge of the video its overlaying so the Shove transition performs unexpectedly.

Looking back through the project, all the other instances of Shove have been between adjacent items (vids or pics) on the same track and have thus interracted with each other in the way Shove was meant to. I think I was thrown off the scent because this is not an issue with Fade or Ripple or some of the many other Alpha transitions I have designed but is clearly limited to transitions that manipulate both objects as they transit from one to the next.

So do what I inadvertently did - namely to use a two piece transition when there was no adjacent item to transit with - and you get strange results.

The rule is - if the transition will react with both items its transitioning between - then they are no good for what I was trying to do. Fades Ripples and a lot of other transitions are just fine when they only play with one item and just allow the other item to sit still while its happening.

I do apologise for misleading both you and I into thinking we had a problem when clearly I just learnt something I never know I didn't realise. embarassed

However I now realise what happended and why, and thank you for your help and suggestions that Shoved me (sorry for the pun) in the right direction to stumble over what was happening.

So - great result - PD is brilliant - and I am getting brillianter - and after all I have only been using PD16 since December 2017 so probably still classed as a newbie smile

Thanks again - maybe someone else might also learn from this story.

Cheers

Alan.
optodata
[Post New]
Well, Alan, this is quite the teachable moment, don't you think?

Please be assured that even the most experienced PD editor has been thrown off by the occasional misbehaving transition. Either because they didn't realize that what they were trying to do was incompatible with how that particular transition affected the connected and nearby clips (as in your case), or because for unknown reasons, one or two transitions in any given project might sometimes affect clips on tracks far below them while no other show that behaviour.

I'm very happy to hear that you've worked through what's been happening, and thank you for the detailed explanation. I wish there was a way to somehow absorb all the collective knowledge on this forum and never stumble into any of these issues again, but whenever I run into trouble I'm very glad to have so many willing contributers to help sort things out! cool

YouTube/optodata