Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 17 Pre purchase question reg. 360 video in 4K or more & Subscriptions
das3Dstudio [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 15, 2019 19:01 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I recently bought an Insta360 One X 360 degree camera. Very nice piece of equipment.
The software which comes with it as desktop app is hardly of any use though except for exporting the clips,

So, I came across two reasonable editors:

http://360rumors.com/2018/07/collect-free-360-video-editing-app-android-adds-spatial-audio-horizon-leveling-improvements.html

as an app, and, you guessed it PowerDirector17.

Before I purchase PowerDirector I need to know 2 things though.

1) Will perpetual licenses fade out eventually?
That would be a dealbreaker for me. I left Adobe due to a similar decision. Subscriptions are a real pain for small companies.
i do not want to get into a situation in which I pay now for perpetual and than get forced into a subscription if I would want an upgrade to the next release later.

2) 4k and 5.7k resolution.
The Insta360 One X can do 4K and even 5.7K video.
If I purchase now PowerDirector 17 (not 365!), will it be able to handle the 4K right away? Without work arounds & plug-ins?
My PD17 Esssential (=Free version for trials) tells me I need an update for this.
Can the Ultra Version do this? Or do I need Ultimate?
Secondly will there be an update for the non subscription version so that it can handle 5.7k or more in the future?
All within PD 17 (or the future 1 and without workarounds or extra plugins?

Both of these questions are kind of essential as I have a big project coming up for which I need a proper 360 editor.

Last not least, is there a way to add a feature to make a 360 panosphere still image rotate in a 360 (not 2D!!!) video? Similar to as if it was taken with a panohead. That would be way cool. Even better would be an option to add hotspots to have a user choose different videos as branch off. But thats perhaps asking to much.

Thanks for any answers,
Fran

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 16. 2019 04:53

[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I recently bought an Insta360 One X 360 degree camera. Very nice piece of equipment.
The software which comes with it as desktop app is hardly of any use though except for exporting the clips,

So, I came across two reasonable editors:

http://360rumors.com/2018/07/collect-free-360-video-editing-app-android-adds-spatial-audio-horizon-leveling-improvements.html

as an app, and, you guessed it PowerDirector17.

Before I purchase PowerDirector I need to know 2 things though.

1) Will perpetual licenses fade out eventually?
That would be a dealbreaker for me. I left Adobe due to a similar decision. Subscriptions are a real pain for small companies.
i do not want to get into a situation in which I pay now for perpetual and than get forced into a subscription if I would want an upgrade to the next release later.

2) 4k and 5.7k resolution.
The Insta360 One X can do 4K and even 5.7K video.
If I purchase now PowerDirector 17 (not 365!), will it be able to handle the 4K right away? Without work arounds & plug-ins?
My PD17 Esssential (=Free version for trials) tells me I need an update for this.
Can the Ultra Version do this? Or do I need Ultimate?
Secondly will there be an update for the non subscription version so that it can handle 5.7k or more in the future?
All within PD 17 (or the future 1 and without workarounds or extra plugins?

Both of these questions are kind of essential as I have a big project coming up for which I need a proper 360 editor.

Last not least, is there a way to add a feature to make a 360 panosphere still image rotate in a 360 (not 2D!!!) video? Similar to as if it was taken with a panohead. That would be way cool. Even better would be an option to add hotspots to have a user choose different videos as branch off. But thats perhaps asking to much.

Thanks for any answers,
Fran

You can buy PD stand alone or get it as a subscription. The subscription gives you access to free stuff but they're not that good anyway. PD17 supports 4k but Im not sure about 5.7k. And as far as the 360 question. I know that you can edit 360 video but Im not sure about your specific question. Someone who knows more should respond to you.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'll take a stab at your second question:

2) 4k and 5.7k resolution. The Insta360 One X can do 4K and even 5.7K video. If I purchase now PowerDirector 17 (not 365!), will it be able to handle the 4K right away?

Yes

Quote Without work arounds & plug-ins?

Also Yes (other than the required step of exporting the clip from the Insta app)

Quote My PD17 Esssential (=Free version for trials) tells me I need an update for this. Can the Ultra Version do this? Or do I need Ultimate?

All versions of PD17 allow 4k editing, the only difference between them is content.

Quote Secondly will there be an update for the non subscription version so that it can handle 5.7k or more in the future?

None of us users knows the answer to that, but there are already several threads on 5.7k clips and the insta360 specifically, so you should search and read those and then post back with any other questions. Definitely start with this one.

All within PD 17 (or the future 18 ) and without workarounds or extra plugins?

Yes (other than the required step of exporting the clip from the Insta app)
das3Dstudio [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 15, 2019 19:01 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'll take a stab at your second question:

Yes

Also Yes (other than the required step of exporting the clip from the Insta app)

All versions of PD17 allow 4k editing, the only difference between them is content.

None of us users knows the answer to that, but there are already several threads on 5.7k clips and the insta360 specifically, so you should search and read those and then post back with any other questions. Definitely start with this one.

Yes (other than the required step of exporting the clip from the Insta app)

Thank you. Both good and helpful answers.