Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
USB device not recognized
Andy43 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 16, 2014 11:46 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Using an old Sony digital 8 camcorder and trying to upload video & audio from the camera to the PC. I have a firewire cable and bought an adaptor to go from the firewire end to USB allowing that end of the cable to plug into the PC. However, I get the message, "USB device not recognized. The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it." I'm using PD12 and Windows 10. Any help, advice, or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 11. 2019 00:52

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Bottom line, you can't capture camcorder video output with just a gender changer (USB to IE1394) cable, you have to have a 1394 firewire card in your pc. If you don't have a 1394 card and/or port, one could use the S-Video output from the camcorder and a standard video grabber hardware like Diamond VC500, Hauppauge 610, or the like.

Jeff
Andy43 [Avatar]
[Post New]
THANK YOU!!! This helps me a ton. I was wasting a lot of time. Now I need to find an old computer with the correct connections to allow me to use the digital signals from the camcorder. Thanks again!!!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote THANK YOU!!! This helps me a ton. I was wasting a lot of time. Now I need to find an old computer with the correct connections to allow me to use the digital signals from the camcorder. Thanks again!!!
If you have a tower (rather than a laptop) it is quite easy and inexpensive to install a firewire capture card/device. I did it and I have no computer assembly knowledge whatsoever. I got a Vantec and was capturing HDV right away. No driver issues either. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Agree 100% with Barry and as a bonus you could get one of the cards which include a couple of USB3 ports, that in itself might make the expenditure worthwhile.
Andy43 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again for the advice on this. I've worked for months to convert all of the old tapes and could not be happier with the results. The people on this forum are the best!! Thanks again.