Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Soft Subtitles
JerryG [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Troy, Mi Joined: Jul 08, 2017 19:36 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Recently, while watching digital video, I've noticed that some of the movies(mkv) do not have an SRT file associated with them but I can still turn subtitles/closed caption ON and OFF. Somewhere on the internet I have heard those are called "Soft Subtitles". Is anybody familiar with them and can it be done in Powerdirector. What I want to do is make a slide show and have the file names for each photo, as a closed caption, for friends who may want copies of the original photos, BUT I don't want the file names being displayed , by default, on the photos during the slide show. I am currently using PD15 but if am getting ready to upgrade if that is necessary. Thank you for any assistance or additional info regarding that technology.
Jerry Jerry
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
As far as I'm aware, all subtitles are "soft subtitles" in that they are encoded into the video clip and the user/viewer always has to choice os whether to display them or not. The other option is titles, which are always displayed and cannot be disabled.

If you have an SRT file, you can import that into PD or load it into a media player, but that's an extra step and isn't needed if the original clip was produced with subtitles.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JerryG [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't know what I am doing wrong but when I produce the video the subtitles appear as "labels" on each picture and I cannot turn them off. I have checked my media players by viewing a movie and turning them on and off but cannot turn them off in my production. Thankfully my test video is only 40 seconds. I'll keep trying to figure out what I am doing wrong in the production, but I would be thankful if you have any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong. Thank You Jerry
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It sounds like you're just placing titles on the timeline. Those are always visible. You need to go to the Subtitle Room (click on the icon highlighted in the attached image) or press F12.

Use the folder icon on the lower right if you want to create an SRT text file first and then import it
[Thumb - subtitles.jpg]
 Filename
subtitles.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
151 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote As far as I'm aware, all subtitles are "soft subtitles" in that they are encoded into the video clip and the user/viewer always has to choice os whether to display them or not. The other option is titles, which are always displayed and cannot be disabled.

Not really, the user has the ability to:
1) Create subtitles imprinted on a video file
2) Create subtitles for discs/files

The first option when used with MKV files will encode the subtitles into the file and a player such as VLC or the like will not have control to turn subtitle layer on or off, it's always on. The second option writes the subtitles to the MKV file but the ability to display is controlled by the player. With VLC and/or other players that support subtitles one would need to turn on subtitles during playback.

Options 1 and 2 are controlled in the Subtitle Room (F12) with the icons in the lower right corner.

Jeff
JerryG [Avatar]
[Post New]
EUREKA, I just figured it out. After producing about ten videos I realized the the option for creating a subtitle track only referenced DVD/BDMV/AVCHD/MKV. I have been producing the movie as an MP4. I just produced the video using MKV and ability to turn them on and off now appears. Thanks for all the help. Jerry
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Wow JerryG!

I had zip, zilch & zero idea that PDR17 could do that! (not just 17 either) I've always thought it was only for disc production that subtitles could be toggled on & off.

It works too. In VLC player, just select Subtitle > Disable/Language.

Learn something new every day. Thanks!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote EUREKA, I just figured it out. After producing about ten videos I realized the the option for creating a subtitle track only referenced DVD/BDMV/AVCHD/MKV. I have been producing the movie as an MP4. I just produced the video using MKV and ability to turn them on and off now appears. Thanks for all the help.

MP4 doesnnot support embedded subtitles, only the mighty MKV format supports it! ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365