Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Splitting audio track into individual channels
malc-c [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 05, 2017 11:51 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I've been googling this all afternoon and can't find an answer, so hopefully someone can suggest a resolution.

I have a need to use a splitter to connect two microphones to my camcorder's microphone socket, so I can record one person on the left and the other on the right. Then in post production the two channels would be separated and further edited (pan position and any eq required).

Whilst it's simple enough to split the MTS file format into video and audio, I can't find a way to then split the two audio channels so I can processe them individually. Opening Audio Director there is no split option, even though it displays each channel as individual waveforms.

Ideally I would like to do this in the suit, rather than export the audio, import into a 3rd party application, and then re-export out so as to maintain sync with the video.

Any suggestions ?

Cheers

Malcolm
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... I can't find a way to then split the two audio channels so I can processe them individually. Opening Audio Director there is no split option, even though it displays each channel as individual waveforms.

I found a way to do what you're loking for. I don't know which DS version you have, but I did this with AudioDirector 5.

It's very simple, and I think this quick video will explain it better than me typing out 3 paragraphs of detailed instructions

Note that it's actually easier to use the <Ctrl> + A keys to select the entire waveform, and you can simply use Undo and click on the other channel to remove it and produce. Done!
malc-c [Avatar]
[Post New]

I found a way to do what you're loking for. I don't know which DS version you have, but I did this with AudioDirector 5.

It's very simple, and I think this quick video will explain it better than me typing out 3 paragraphs of detailed instructions

Note that it's actually easier to use the + A keys to select the entire waveform, and you can simply use Undo and click on the other channel to remove it and produce. Done!

Wow, thar was over quickly... I blinked and missed it !!

Thanks, I'll run through the video on half speed and give it a try
malc-c [Avatar]
[Post New]

Wow, thar was over quickly... I blinked and missed it !!

Thanks, I'll run through the video on half speed and give it a try

Ok, I get as far as hi-lighting the tracks and removing the LH channel, but right clicking doen't give me the produce option - its greyed out.

Process:

Import the MTS format file from the camera into the media library in PowerDirector 15 and drag it to the timeline
Unlink audio and video
Select the audio and right click that section and chose "edit audio" and "Audio Director"

Audio Director 7 launches with the wave form displayed
Select "edit single channel"
Drag the Cursor to hi-light the tracks (one greyed out, one bold)
Right click and select Remove - the bold track is removed
Right click to "produce" but the option is greyed out from the menu

Just in case it was an issue with the MTS file format I tried this with an MP3 file and still the "produce" option was greyed out. Infact, other the the "select all" option, all other options are greyed out.

Malcolm
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Ok, I get as far as hi-lighting the tracks and removing the LH channel, but right clicking doen't give me the produce option - its greyed out.

In PD, there's no need to unlink the A/V. That will happen automatically as soon as you tell it to run AD.

The reason you can't produce is because you invoked AD from inside PD, and the only option is to close AD and either send the edited track back to PD or exit without making any changes. In my video, I opened AD on its own. Sorry for the confusion!
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I've been googling this all afternoon and can't find an answer, so hopefully someone can suggest a resolution.

I have a need to use a splitter to connect two microphones to my camcorder's microphone socket, so I can record one person on the left and the other on the right. Then in post production the two channels would be separated and further edited (pan position and any eq required).

Whilst it's simple enough to split the MTS file format into video and audio, I can't find a way to then split the two audio channels so I can processe them individually. Opening Audio Director there is no split option, even though it displays each channel as individual waveforms.

Ideally I would like to do this in the suit, rather than export the audio, import into a 3rd party application, and then re-export out so as to maintain sync with the video.

Any suggestions ?

Cheers
Malcolm

If I understood, you have 2 audio L and R and you want to treat each one separately.
In Audiodirector you can select an L or R channel, apply enhancements to each separately, save normally.

I used this when I applied Equalizer on just one channel, or different graduation on each channel.

If you want to separate a channel, Copy / Paste the chosen channel to the other.

I used this when 1 channel was with bad audio.
malc-c [Avatar]
[Post New]

If I understood, you have 2 audio L and R and you want to treat each one separately.
In Audiodirector you can select an L or R channel, apply enhancements to each separately, save normally.

I used this when I applied Equalizer on just one channel, or different graduation on each channel.

If you want to separate a channel, Copy / Paste the chosen channel to the other.

I used this when 1 channel was with bad audio.

The reason behind this is to use two microphones, one is wireless, the other corded. The wireless is given to the person being interviewed, and I am behind camera with the wired lapel microhone. The output from each source is connected to the camera's stereo mic input via a splitter so one mic is recorded on the left channel, the other on the right.

Then in post, the idea is to split the two channels and make them both mono.
malc-c [Avatar]
[Post New]

In PD, there's no need to unlink the A/V. That will happen automatically as soon as you tell it to run AD.

The reason you can't produce is because you invoked AD from inside PD, and the only option is to close AD and either send the edited track back to PD or exit without making any changes. In my video, I opened AD on its own. Sorry for the confusion!

Ah.. no problem, thanks for the confirmation
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]

The reason behind this is to use two microphones, one is wireless, the other corded. The wireless is given to the person being interviewed, and I am behind camera with the wired lapel microhone. The output from each source is connected to the camera's stereo mic input via a splitter so one mic is recorded on the left channel, the other on the right.

It seems to me that you want to separate the reeds, L and R and create 2 separate audio files.
I would do so, in PD. Unlink audio from video.
Copy only the audio to another track.
Select 1st audio, Open AudioDirector, Copy audio L to R, Save
Now audio 1st is only L audio on the 2 channels
Select 2nd audio, Open AudioDirector, Copy audio R to L, Save
Now 2nd audio is only R audio on the 2 channels
It's easy to do, if need be I'll make a video showing.
malc-c [Avatar]
[Post New]

It seems to me that you want to separate the reeds, L and R and create 2 separate audio files.
I would do so, in PD. Unlink audio from video.
Copy only the audio to another track.
Select 1st audio, Open AudioDirector, Copy audio L to R, Save
Now audio 1st is only L audio on the 2 channels
Select 2nd audio, Open AudioDirector, Copy audio R to L, Save
Now 2nd audio is only R audio on the 2 channels
It's easy to do, if need be I'll make a video showing.

Thanks for the suggestion. It worked to a fashion, in that it did give me what I wanted, but although I selected all whilst cutting and pasting I must have been slightly out as when played back there is a very slight echo as the two tracks are not 100% in sync, but this does indeed give me a work around to what I'm after and doesn't present too much hassle or increased workflow

Thanks
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The reason behind this is to use two microphones, one is wireless, the other corded. The wireless is given to the person being interviewed, and I am behind camera with the wired lapel microhone. The output from each source is connected to the camera's stereo mic input via a splitter so one mic is recorded on the left channel, the other on the right.

You lost me on that one. I would think that you meant to say Mix or combine instead of split the two channels to make it mono two channel. That would make the audio in both channels the same or panned to the center when played. The method to do this would be different from the contributors.
malc-c [Avatar]
[Post New]

You lost me on that one. I would think that you meant to say Mix or combine instead of split the two channels to make it mono two channel. That would make the audio in both channels the same or panned to the center when played. The method to do this would be different from the contributors.

LOL - sorry, let me try and make it clearer,

I have a need to use two seperate mono microphones. I have a stereo mic input on my camcorder. I connect a Y cable that has a 3.5mm stereo plug with two 3.5mm mono sockets, one for the left channel one for the right. I then connect one mono mice to one socket, with the other mic to the other. So I'm basically using the stereo audio of the camera as two mono track recording.

Naturally when played back the recorded clip sounds very un-natural as you have a voice directly in each ear. So I have a need to seperate the left and right channels of the stereo audio track so I have two individual audio tracks, and then convert them to mono so that the voice on each recording is then centered.

The method of making two "stereo" audio tracks, one formed by having two copies of the left hand channel and the other with two copies of the right hand so it gives two mono recordings worked, but had a sync issue (more human error than application).

For me what I was really hoping was that there was an option of simply splitting the left and right channels into two individual audio tracks within PD, much the same as un-linking the audio track from the video by a simple right click.