Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 17 Help won't launch
[Post New]

Is anyone else noticing that if you click the "?" at the top right corner (in PC mode) and then select "Help" in the dropdown list nothing happens?

I've found that opening Task Manager and killing the PowerDVD_Help.exe process and then retrying to open help will result in the Help window "magically" appearing.

So far tech support has had me completely remove and reinstall...no help (both literally and figuratively). frown

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 10. 2019 00:09

Big Steve
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
I've never seen or heard of this, so I don't have a suggestion. In the meantime, you can download the user guide for version 17, which is the same content: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/user_guide/powerdvd/17/17pdvd/PowerDVD_ENU.pdf

Dave
[Post New]
Quote OS: Windows 10 (1809) Home (64) and Pro (64)

Is anyone else noticing that if you click the "?" at the top right corner (in PC mode) and then select "Help" in the dropdown list nothing happens?

I've found that opening Task Manager and killing the PowerDVD_Help.exe process and then retrying to open help will result in the Help window "magically" appearing.

So far tech support has had me completely remove and reinstall...no help (both literally and figuratively). frown

After CyberLink's tech support threw up their hands and gave up on this issue I went looking for help elsewhere and I found the software developer that developed the shell program CyberLink uses for their current Help app in many, if not most of their Apps, an Austrian company called EC Software GmbH.

After contacting them I was put in contact with one of their software developers, Alexander Halser. Through a series of emails and test apps he determined that when their app ran on my problem PCs the app was hanging on a command to clear the Windows 10 internal webbrowser's cache (which in Microsoft's "infinite wisdom" is tied in with Internet Explorer).

We determined that if you open IE, Tools, Delete Browsing History, and then check all the boxes and click delete, after that process runs to completion then the Help app will function correctly.

Mr. Halser tells me that they are going to modify the App to remove that method and eventually I'm guessing the fix will be applied to CyberLink's applications via a future patch. Big Steve
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Interesting...thanks for the effort. Hopefully the fix will get in a future patch. I see they have moved towards deploying their help on the web though.

https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/powerdvd/18/pc-mode/enu/index.html

Dave

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 05. 2019 01:53

[Post New]
Quote Interesting...thanks for the effort. Hopefully the fix will get in a future patch. I see they have moved towards deploying their help on the web though.

https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/powerdvd/18/pc-mode/enu/index.html

Dave

I suspect that somewhere in CyberLink's management they were aware of this problem, but as with many corporations "The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing"...and then add in a third party and nothing ever gets resolved so management concludes it's easier to do something else.

The folks at EC Software apparently had never been informed by CyberLink that there was a problem, but they were very quick to try and figure out what was going wrong and come up with a solution.
Jets2011
[Post New]
I think you are off about your take on the CL management. They moved towards web help a year ago and it would have had nothing to do with this bug you found in a different company's software (i.e. it is not a CyberLink bug).

As mentioned, as a long time PowerDVD and Director Suite user, I have never encountered or heard of this issue before. And obviously neither had CyberLink's customer service based on your experience. So somehow believing that their management knew about a bug in a third party software is a huge leap.

Moving from an exe help file (which can cause logistical issues with file size in builds and antivirus software scans) to a help that is deployed on a web server is more out of enhanced services and not about a different companies bug.

Dave