Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
GTX1060 laptop not using video card
coreyman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 04, 2019 15:54 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
PD17 is using the onboard intel video card how does one use the GTX1060, ive tried going to the control settings of nvdia but the option is greyed out to use the dedicated vido card

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 04. 2019 16:24

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Let us know the Graphics driver version that you are using and the PD patched version that you are using. Were you able to use the Nvidia graphics in the past with PD16?
coreyman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 04, 2019 15:54 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Let us know the Graphics driver version that you are using and the PD patched version that you are using. Were you able to use the Nvidia graphics in the past with PD16?

Its a new laptop from cyberpower pc

NVDIDA Drivers 398.36
GeForce Expereince 3.14.0.139
PWD 17.0.2314.0
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote PD17 is using the onboard intel video card how does one use the GTX1060, ive tried going to the control settings of nvdia but the option is greyed out to use the dedicated vido card

coreyman, there's not a Optimus profile for PD hence no selection and/or control as you note. The only 100% method to force the issue reliable and continually is to turn off the internal iGPU via BIOS. Not all laptop manufacturers permit that setting in BIOS so simple look for the setting.

PD17 patch 2314 is capable of working with pre or post 416 drivers.

Jeff
Westcoast604 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 29, 2017 16:37 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]

coreyman, there's not a Optimus profile for PD hence no selection and/or control as you note. The only 100% method to force the issue reliable and continually is to turn off the internal iGPU via BIOS. Not all laptop manufacturers permit that setting in BIOS so simple look for the setting.

PD17 patch 2314 is capable of working with pre or post 416 drivers.

Jeff

Cyberlink: PLEASE FIX this coding error in your software so that Optimus systems - the most advanced laptops - can make proper use of their powerful graphics cards to render Video. This has been ongoing for years and yet you do nothing about it. So frustrataing.

Pretty Please!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Cyberlink: PLEASE FIX this coding error in your software so that Optimus systems - the most advanced laptops - can make proper use of their powerful graphics cards to render Video. This has been ongoing for years and yet you do nothing about it. So frustrataing.

Pretty Please!

FYI this is a user forum, and the people who you're trying to reach at Cyberlink won't likely ever read these posts. The best thing to do is open PD then go to File, Rate Us & Provide Suggestions and tell them how important this is. That's actually the main "official" feeedback channel.
[Post New]

Cyberlink: PLEASE FIX this coding error in your software so that Optimus systems - the most advanced laptops - can make proper use of their powerful graphics cards to render Video. This has been ongoing for years and yet you do nothing about it. So frustrataing.

Pretty Please!

This issue has been discussed for a long time and the root cause belongs to NVidia, some Optimus platforms will crash when using their API to access NVidia GPU.
Since there is no solution so far, using Intel GPU is the safe way.
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
This issue has been discussed for a long time and the root cause belongs to NVidia, some Optimus platforms will crash when using their API to access NVidia GPU.
Since there is no solution so far, using Intel GPU is the safe way.

Well, if that is true why can the manufacturers of other Video editing software I have (e.g. Vegas) get this working properly. I have asked both NVidia and Cyberlink to look at this together. I can imagine that they too like this long time discussion being brought to an end...
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
It's a Laptop configuration issue, not a Cyberlink issue. My GTX1060 doesn't activate either, but my i7GPU does an excellent job rendering. It's fast and accurate, so I don't care whether the 1060 is used.
[Post New]

Well, if that is true why can the manufacturers of other Video editing software I have (e.g. Vegas) get this working properly. I have asked both NVidia and Cyberlink to look at this together. I can imagine that they too like this long time discussion being brought to an end...

I don't have the latest version but just tried Vegas Pro 14, the option says "Render using CUDA if available", and it looks like using CPU to encode since two GPUs are idle.
Maybe the old NVidia GPU and old VGA driver may work, but CUDA has been dropped in current VGA driver.

and even Premiere Pro CC has the same result as PowerDirector: Use Intel GPU only.
[Thumb - PremiereProCC.jpg]
 Filename
PremiereProCC.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Premiere rendering
 Filesize
230 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
13 time(s)
[Thumb - VegasRendering.jpg]
 Filename
VegasRendering.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Vegas option
 Filesize
256 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
[Thumb - VegasRendering.jpg]
 Filename
VegasRendering.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Vegas rendering
 Filesize
256 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 12. 2019 04:12

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe the old NVidia GPU and old VGA driver may work, but CUDA has been dropped in current VGA driver.

Maybe a little confusion. CUDA has not been dropped in any driver and is very much alive and well. What was depreciated years ago, ~5/2014, was the CUDA based encoder provided by Nvidia as part of the driver install in lieu of the NVENC supported encoder. So for products like PD, that simply piggybacked on Nvidia's offerings, yes the CUDA based encoder from Nvidia disappeared and PD then adapted to the newer Nvidia NVENC offering.

For other products it's up to them what to do, I still use several CUDA based encoders and they will load the GPU substantially, just not the NVENC encode block. PD is not one of those as I indicated above, for encoding, it simply uses a subset of the current Nvidia NVENC encode offerings.

Jeff
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
I guess my last remark on this topic. Many active in this forum have some expertise and sense of what is happening behind the scenes. Many others have and should not have a clue. They buy a computer with an expensive GPU and the buy software that is advertised to use their expensive hardware and then just expect it to work. And so they should.
My Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15 uses the GTX1060 whereas PD17 does not.
[Thumb - test movie studio 15 plat.png.jpg]
 Filename
test movie studio 15 plat.png.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Using Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum
 Filesize
331 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
25 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 13. 2019 06:18

DaXm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2017 21:07 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
For anyone having this issue. A workaround for me was to connect to an external screen. I've been fighting with this issue for a bit over a month now. I have a Alienware 17r3 with Optimus technology. I've updated my driver's, did a fresh install of Windows 10, to no avail. I have PD16, tried the patch, disabled Intel GPU, none of this worked successfully. Going into the Nvidia control Panel, would not give me the option to select Nvidia GPU for PD16, neither going into display advanced settings and putting PD16 in high performance mode. Pretty frustrated, I was just reading whatever tidbits of info in graphics settings, and came across where it says when you connect external monitor to HDMI, the Nvidia GPU will always use that. So on whim I connected it to my bedroom TV, shut down PD16 which was taking a painfully long time rendering a project I was working on, and restarted PD16. I opened the project and everything from mouse movement, playback, moving media files on the timeline, etc - was significantly smoother. I rendered the project again - this time GPU acceleration gave me the option to check it, and looked in task manager, sure enough Nvidia GPU was being used. I've had the Alienware 17r's 3/4/5 before and could never recall this happening before - until I remembered what they all had in common is I've always had an external monitor connected to them. I've relocated, and keeping space in mind never felt the need to get a monitor. It's not ideal - especially since other programs work with the Optimus technology fine, but it's definitely cheaper than buying a thunderbolt enclosure for an external graphics card or buying another laptop

For those of you who already know this, my apologies. I put this out there for folks that are knocking their head against a wall like I was
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote For anyone having this issue. A workaround for me was to connect to an external screen. I've been fighting with this issue for a bit over a month now. I have a Alienware 17r3 with Optimus technology. I've updated my driver's, did a fresh install of Windows 10, to no avail. I have PD16, tried the patch, disabled Intel GPU, none of this worked successfully. Going into the Nvidia control Panel, would not give me the option to select Nvidia GPU for PD16, neither going into display advanced settings and putting PD16 in high performance mode. Pretty frustrated, I was just reading whatever tidbits of info in graphics settings, and came across where it says when you connect external monitor to HDMI, the Nvidia GPU will always use that. So on whim I connected it to my bedroom TV, shut down PD16 which was taking a painfully long time rendering a project I was working on, and restarted PD16. I opened the project and everything from mouse movement, playback, moving media files on the timeline, etc - was significantly smoother. I rendered the project again - this time GPU acceleration gave me the option to check it, and looked in task manager, sure enough Nvidia GPU was being used. I've had the Alienware 17r's 3/4/5 before and could never recall this happening before - until I remembered what they all had in common is I've always had an external monitor connected to them. I've relocated, and keeping space in mind never felt the need to get a monitor. It's not ideal - especially since other programs work with the Optimus technology fine, but it's definitely cheaper than buying a thunderbolt enclosure for an external graphics card or buying another laptop

For those of you who already know this, my apologies. I put this out there for folks that are knocking their head against a wall like I was

It really depends how the laptop hardware is configured, default settings, and what BIOS settings the manufacturer offers. As such, no universal answer. Low end laptops, even when configured with dGPU, rarely offer such ability, everything goes through the iGPU. Your laptop appears to have at least one of the external adapters connect directly to the dGPU for this to work. As I mentioned prior, the only 100% method to force the issue with PD reliably and continually is to turn off the internal iGPU via BIOS. Not all laptop manufacturers have such features because of cost. When they do, a BIOS option similar to the posted pic gives you control of not only turning off but potentially other options too with the external port connectivity.

Jeff
 Filename
Optimus3b.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2787 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)