Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
useless capture function
luisxd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 04, 2019 03:14 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
i was just about to buy the license but turns out it cannot capture any of my home recorded VHS, everytime i try it shows a message saying it couldnt be done due to copyright.. thank god i tried it before doing any purchase
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
What tool and what type of hardware are you using to capture your analog tapes? PowerDirector does not have a feature for connecting to an analog source. I don't know any editor that does, so it's kind of unfair to blame CyberLink.

But if you are looking for a way to capture your tape-based video, I found one on Amazon for under $30 that will do the job. And, if you follow the instructions in my YouTube tutorials, the captured video will edit perfectly in PowerDirector (or virtually any other video editor).

Installing the EasyLink Video Grabber

Capturing video with the EasyLink Video Grabber
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
If your tapes are overly dirty the interferance can be seen by the VCR as copyright protection. It's not Cyberlink.
It's possible the VCR is a dirty stinker also. There are instructions on the internet for cleaning heads. Pure alcohol, NO COTTON Qtips, no paper strips, spin the drums by hand, read up. Maybe try a different machine.
The only way to guarantee you can capture your tapes is to incorporate a WORKING time base corrector which will scrub the noise from the tape. You will have to pay through the nose, I paid $400 for mine 2 years ago and they are upwards of $6-800 now because nobody makes them anymore.
Go to DigitalFAQ.com and do more research.
As for a USB dongle, make it a VC-500 or don't bother. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Honestly, you can go down a rabbit hole with this!
If you intend on doing any editing other than cuts you may possibly be interested in capturing lossless AVI using VirtualDub or Stoix, Stoix is easier to master.
Lossless captures allow you to eliminate MPEG2 and MP4 compression artifacts, especially in noisy low-light shots.
You can edit HuffYUV lossless in Powerdirector. This removes at least one compression render from your workflow.
Admittedly it's a little bit of a purist approach, but it's how I do all my tape captures to keep as much of the "quality" of VHS as possible.
What is your VCR?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 04. 2019 08:43

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
From Barry the Crab "As for a USB dongle, make it a VC-500 or don't bother."

There is another USB Dongle that is as good or better than the Diamond VC500.

It is a Hauppauge USB-Live 2.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 04. 2019 09:51

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quote From Barry the Crab "As for a USB dongle, make it a VC-500 or don't bother."

There is another USB Dongle that is as good or better than the Diamond VC500.

It is a Hauppauge USB-Live 2.
I have both, and both have good chipsets. Avoid all others. But the real issue is inability to capture at all.
Try another tape, another vcr (what model are you using?).
Do not buy a time base corrector without clearing it at DigitalFAQ, many are broken or unsuitable for vhs signals. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)