Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Final Audio Output levels
Tony Ish UK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2018 05:36 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]

I have searched the forums but cannot see any advice on my question.
Apologies to those that point straight to a link ;

As most users do, I have a number of audio sources on the time line which I mix to
produce the final audio.

The question I have is, how do you produce the final volume ?

On other software I have used, there has been a final audio volume and bar display which
shows the audio output to guide towards final volume.

At present I adjust it all by ear using headphones, but after a time, I seem to lose the
“sense” (if that is the right word?) of my volumes and output.

I have played around with the audio room settings, but find that moving the volume on the time line is the most convient way of adjusting the mixes relative to a clip, which may have a number of sources. The next clip may just have one source and the volume has to be increased quite a bit to maintain a constent level when the output is produced.

Any suggestions, hints and tips would be welcome.

Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 02. 2019 11:26

AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
I have searched the forums but cannot see any advice on my question.
Apologies to those that point straight to a link ;
As most users do, I have a number of audio sources on the time line which I mix to
produce the final audio.
The question I have is, how do you produce the final volume ?
On other software I have used, there has been a final audio volume and bar display which
shows the audio output to guide towards final volume.
For present I adjust it all by ear using headphones, but after a time, I seem to lose the
“sense” (if that is the right word?) of my volumes and output.
I have played around with the audio room settings, but find that moving the volume on the time line is the most convient way of adjusting the mixes relative to a clip, which may have a number of sources. The next clip may just have one source and the volume has to be increased quite a bit to maintain a constent level when the output is produced.
Any suggestions, hints and tips would be welcome.
Thanks

PD has the function Normalize Audio, which never works as we want.
What I do if possible I normalize the audio in another application like this, Mp4Gain 2017 or similar.
For long videos and other cases manually adjusted in the timeline.
Overall volume adjustment, just drag the audio line, and watch the yellow peaks for reference.
Another option, Audio Mix Room, horizontal adjustment, volume gain, oberve the yellow peaks.
For adjustments to specific parts of the audio, use the Room Keyframe Settings / Volume
Access, select the audio in the timeline and click button, Keyframe

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 02. 2019 12:55

StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
I second using the Audio Mix Room.

As I say in my books, you should never base your mix on the sounds you hear coming out of your speakers. ALWAYS use audio meters to ensure a proper mix and to ensure that you are not overloading the audio.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 02. 2019 23:11

Tony Ish UK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2018 05:36 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your replies,

I have been taking a deeper look into how I should approach my problem which basically comes down to having a level audio output where the viewer does not have to keep adjusting the volume.

One of the things that caused me confusion is that each video audio had differing levels of 0 db displayed after normalising the audio on each track.

rgds
Treysvideo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 10, 2017 20:25 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for your replies,

I have been taking a deeper look into how I should approach my problem which basically comes down to having a level audio output where the viewer does not have to keep adjusting the volume.

One of the things that caused me confusion is that each video audio had differing levels of 0 db displayed after normalising the audio on each track.

rgds

With the new audio meters In PD 18 and 365 does anyone know what the outputs are in DB. They are not labeled in any way?
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
[quotePostId = 337840]

Com os novos medidores de áudio No PD 18 e 365, alguém sabe quais são as saídas no DB. Eles não são rotulados de forma alguma? [/ QuotePostId]

PD18/365 is the same as PD17
bonagege [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Italia, Lombardia GMT + 1 Joined: Jun 25, 2011 16:32 Messages: 187 Offline
[Post New]
PREPARE THE AUDIO FOR DVD AND MP4
Objective: to have a correct Volume through Normalization with Audacity
have proper Compression with Audacity
have a Noise Reduction with Audacity

Extract from PD the audio to be processed in Wav format PCM profile at 512 Kbps
Import it into Audacity and after highlighting it open Effects and then Normalize with values of - 1 or -2 db. If there were large differences in volume, they can be mitigated with the compression that we always find in Effects
If necessary always in Effects we find the Noise Reduction fan rustling type
At this point you can export to PD as a .wav 16 bit PCM and replace the original audio with the new modified. W 10 64 , pc Dell XPS 8000 - core i7 2,8 GHz--ram 6 MB--GEFORCE GTX 1050TI 4GB - SSD 256 + 2x630--area Pal
Videocam: Panasonic SD 700 avchd
Pinnacle 14 - PD 9-13-17