Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
CUDA GTX 1050 ti don't work since Windows 10 update.
[Post New]
Hello to all.

Like some users i have an issue with the CUDA encoding, for me only since a migrate from Win7 to Win10 (clean install).
My PD16 version is Ultra 16.0.2313.0.
Under Windows 7 PD16 always encoded with CUDA (H.264, H.265...), the driver was in version 391.35.
Currently under Win10 the driver version is 391.01 (I wanted to test an old version) and all GPU are selected in the Nvidia control panel, I tried all versions until the last 417.71 without success, I uninstalled and reinstalled PD16, I also tried the available patch v3424 to correct the problem.
I have read a lot of posts and solutions but nothing works.

However one thing surprises me, when I reinstall PD16 and I run it immediately i can encode with CUDA without problem, if I reboot my PC it does not work anymore.

I know it's a frequent breakdown and the question comes up very often, but I do not understand at all what can happen.

Thank you all for your help.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Feb 01. 2019 16:13

[Post New]
A new test today.
I installed Nvidia 411.70 drivers, PD can encode with CUDA, but after restarting my computer the initial issue is back.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote A new test today.
I installed Nvidia 411.70 drivers, PD can encode with CUDA, but after restarting my computer the initial issue is back.

I'm not certain, but I think you might be conflating CUDA with "Hardware" or "GPU" producing, which actually uses NVENC.

CUDA is a specific technology used in nVidia GPUs, but to my knowledge PD lost the ability to use CUDA several years ago. Nowadays, with PD the hardware acceleration (encoding and decoding to/from H.264 and H.265) is performed using NVENC/NVDEC, which is a separate section of silicon from the main GPU functions, and different video cards have differening NVENC/NVDEC abilities.

Maybe I'm wrong about my CUDA assumption, but it would certainly help if you could follow the steps listed in the Read Me Before Posting thread and run the DxDiag test. Save the results in a text file and attach them here, and then we'll have more info to understand what might be going on and help you resolve the issue.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello to all.

Like some users i have an issue with the CUDA encoding, for me only since a migrate from Win7 to Win10 (clean install).
My PD16 version is Ultra 16.0.2313.0.
Under Windows 7 PD16 always encoded with CUDA (H.264, H.265...), the driver was in version 391.35.
Currently under Win10 the driver version is 391.01 (I wanted to test an old version) and all GPU are selected in the Nvidia control panel, I tried all versions until the last 417.71 without success, I uninstalled and reinstalled PD16, I also tried the available patch v3424 to correct the problem.
I have read a lot of posts and solutions but nothing works.

However one thing surprises me, when I reinstall PD16 and I run it immediately i can encode with CUDA without problem, if I reboot my PC it does not work anymore.

I know it's a frequent breakdown and the question comes up very often, but I do not understand at all what can happen.

Thank you all for your help.

What you describe sounds like a conflict in ownership of NVENC, are you by chance running a game capture or something which also utilizes NVENC? Shadowplay or the like? What you might try is this, do a custom install of the Nvidia drivers, select the clean install option and ONLY install the graphics driver, nothing else, no GeForce Experience, nothing. See how that performs with PD.

Jeff
[Post New]
optodata: thank you for all this information, indeed I confuse CUDA and nvenc, if I can not solve my problem I will post a DXdiag soon.

JL_JL: I will try that and tell you what happens next, perhaps i'm not the owner of my SSD in the security policy (i'll have a look there).

Thanks to you two.

EDIT: I tried to uninstall and install again the 411.70 drivers only, PD don't use hardware encode, it's a big mystery for me.

Here is my DxDiag.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
99 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 02. 2019 06:18

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote JL_JL: I will try that and tell you what happens next, perhaps i'm not the owner of my SSD in the security policy (i'll have a look there).

Post a few screen capture for me,
1) click the PowerDirector Icon in the upper right and post
2) drop any video in the timeline, click the "Produce" tab and then the H.264 AVC file format tab and post the entire screen

Jeff
[Post New]
Here are the captures, i can encode in H.264 in 1980X1080 but nothing upper this resolution, nothing in H.265.
[Thumb - Screen-2019-02-02_13-20-34.png]
 Filename
Screen-2019-02-02_13-20-34.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
98 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Thumb - Screen-2019-02-02_13-19-46.png]
 Filename
Screen-2019-02-02_13-19-46.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
50 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Thumb - Screen-2019-02-02_13-20-18.png]
 Filename
Screen-2019-02-02_13-20-18.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Post New]
2 other.
[Thumb - Screen-2019-02-02_13-20-47.png]
 Filename
Screen-2019-02-02_13-20-47.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
98 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Thumb - Screen-2019-02-02_13-20-58.png]
 Filename
Screen-2019-02-02_13-20-58.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
90 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Your conflict with PD encoding appears between Nvidia with your GTX 1050TI and Intel HD 4000 iGPU from your i7-3770 CPU. You can see this as the about screen shows the Nvidia icon as being the prime graphics display while your "Produce" screens show "Intel Quick Sync Video" as the hardware encoder.

Not sure what you had on your system prior, or if in fact you were really using your GTX 1050TI for encoding. Even though your HD4000 drivers are way out of date, if you were really using your GTX1050TI previously, it wouldn't really matter as you can't simultaneously use Intel QS and Nvidia NVENC for encoding in PD.

If you want to use Intel QS, I'd update the graphics driver from Intel. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/97499/Graphics-for-3rd-Generation-Intel-Processors Depending on your MotherBoard BIOS you may have to set the iGPU to be the first graphics display vs any auto selection. If you want to use Nvidia and NVENC for encoding, my suggestion would be to turn off the HD4000 (iGPU) in BIOS that way no auto configure confusion during reboot.

Jeff
[Post New]
This configuration was the same under Windows 7, but it's realy a nice idea, i will try and tell you again later.
I use 3 screens for testing Pinball ROMs before install them in my "Pincab", the only game i play ;
I can't connect this little screen on the "Display port" of my GTX 1050Ti, so i use the poor Intel HD 4000 to do.

Thank you very much for the time you take to help me out.
[Thumb - 256.jpg]
 Filename
256.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
528 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 02. 2019 08:47

[Post New]
BINGO Jeff you're right ! ! !

In the BIOS the principal video card is (and was) PCIe, so no modification.
But in Windows i can desactived Intel HD 4000 from the configuration panel when i have to encode, and it works fine.
It would be interesting to force the encoding only with NVidia card, for the moment this solution is not very complicated and suits me well for my use on 3 screens.

Thank you very much for your helpful.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
In the BIOS the principal video card is (and was) PCIe, so no modification.
But in Windows i can desactived Intel HD 4000 from the configuration panel when i have to encode, and it works fine.
It would be interesting to force the encoding only with NVidia card, for the moment this solution is not very complicated and suits me well for my use on 3 screens.

Yes, that will work too, as you say it's just not a very elegant solution.

I used to run a switchbox that I could toggle to make iGPU or dGPU prime display but have long given up on QS and just use NVENC. What's the brand or model of your computer and/or preferably the mother board. I'm fairly certain PD keys off the primary display for establishing video encoding technology, hence the need to have it set properly. Virtually every MB I've seen allows control.

Jeff
[Post New]
My MB is an ASUS P8H77-V, it's a home made PC, so i don't have any application installed to manage this card (my choice and my fault also).
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote My MB is an ASUS P8H77-V, it's a home made PC, so i don't have any application installed to manage this card (my choice and my fault also).

Look on page 2-22 of your MB manual, the "Initiate iGPU" feature allows you to disable. Default, enabled. You don't need a application installed to manage card config. To enter BIOS to change, simply press the keyboard Del key during boot and the BIOS control screen will open. Asus manuals are rather good and walk you through every control tab and sub menus.

Jeff
[Post New]
Exact, but if I disable iGPU from the BIOS I can not use my third screen anymore.
I created a shortcut to the device manager on the desktop to save some time, not very elegant but functional.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Exact, but if I disable iGPU from the BIOS I can not use my third screen anymore.
I created a shortcut to the device manager on the desktop to save some time, not very elegant but functional.

As you wish, many options available for a 1050TI to drive 3 even 4 or 5 monitors since you are only using (2) at 1920x1080 and (1) at 1280x800.

Jeff
[Post New]
I know that, but the last port i can use is a "Displayport" and i can't connect it to this one.

EDIT:

I found an adapter in a drawer and now it works !
Go to the BIOS to disable the iGPU feature.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 03. 2019 06:13