Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to keep Global Adjustment Settings
marcha22 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 07, 2018 09:45 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
After I adjust a photo, say make modifications to the white balance and tone, I export the photo. If I re-open it using PD9 and go to the 'adjustment' tab everything is reset to zeros and it shows "as shot" in white balance. Is there any way to save the last adjustments that had been made to the photo in PD9?

Also, if I'm working on a photo and have it part of my library, I can exit the program and come back and any adjustments (i.e. move exposure to 0.75, or contrast to 20) I have made in the global adjustment tool are still set. However, if I take this photo and save it to a site like Flickr (which I use for photo storage) and then download the photo back into PD9, the last adjustments are gone - everything is back to zero, even the tags don't save unless you export the photo but then you have the problem noted in the first paragraph.

Thanks for the help,
Mark
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
The only way is to create a preset. That is the way, PhotoDirector works:

• PhD does not alter the original

• The PhD Project is just a database (SQLite) with information about your settings in it. It is just a kind of 'cookbook' with the recipe of the pictures alteration.

• While exporting the 'recipe' works on the exported picture.

That means:

• If you load the exported picture, for PhD it is a new picture. Knowing that and the above, you see now, why the settings are all zero.

• If you upload an exported picture to internet and reimport it to the project, the picture is also new to the project. Ergo, all settings zero again.

• PhD does not offer a way to store the settings in an external file. Other programs do that in a proprietary file format, like PSD (Photoshop), PLD (Photoline), XCF (Gimp), etc. PhD does not use such a file format.

That also means:

• if you import a picture into a PhD project and think "It's in the project, I can delete the picture from my harddisk", you will lose your picture. It is not in the project. In the project, there is only the information, where the picture is on your harddisk.

• If you lose your project file, all pictures are still there, but all the settings you did for the pictures are lost. So do backups.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
marcha22 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 07, 2018 09:45 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you, your 'recipe' analogy was helpful. I just wish you could store or save that recipe for each photo somehow so you know how you mixed it up the first time in case you found that you just needed a little more sugar and a bit less salt, but all the other ingredients were just right.

Thanks again,
Mark
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thank you, your 'recipe' analogy was helpful. I just wish you could store or save that recipe for each photo somehow so you know how you mixed it up the first time in case you found that you just needed a little more sugar and a bit less salt, but all the other ingredients were just right.

Thanks again,
Mark

I agree that Hatti's "recipe" for explaining PhD's internal operation is a winner cool

Sounds like you should be able to use File, Export Project... to save your concoction as is, ready to bake:

Then if you want to enjoy it again, you'll be able to make it exactly as before, or tweak the ingredients or steps as needed. Be sure to serve it warm!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
It seems I’ve stumbled upon the PhD Cooking Channel laughing

Excellent contributions by Hatti & optodata. Nothing I could add would improve the recipe.

PIX PIX YouTube channel