Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Edit Default Media Library
JakeT21 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2019 15:41 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Dumb question, can I edit my default media library when I open PD? I know I can import and export libraries, but can't figure out how to set the default. Thanks
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Dumb question, can I edit my default media library when I open PD? I know I can import and export libraries, but can't figure out how to set the default. Thanks

That's not a dumb question, though I'm not aware of that option as libraries are stored individually for each project.

One way to have your desired library always accessible is to have PD always open with the previous project (which I imagine would be using your desired library), and then use File, New Workspace to clear the timeline but keep the existing libray in place. You'd then save your new project with the desired library.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 23. 2019 16:30

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You can add to and remove assets in the media library and save it under the same or different name just like in a project. The library content default is your last save under that name.
Hankster65
Newbie Location: Kettering, OH Joined: Dec 04, 2018 09:19 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Dumb question, can I edit my default media library when I open PD? I know I can import and export libraries, but can't figure out how to set the default. Thanks

I'm not sure I'm totally understanding your question but if it's of any help here's the way I handle my work flow:

Any videos or pictures, etc that I'll be using for a project I dump into a folder called USERS/HANKS/VIDEOS/WORK. In PowerDirector I set my "Input Folder" to that same folder. Hitting the Settings icon followed by File will get you to where you can set that. Then when I click on Media Room it always takes me to that WORK folder. After my project has been rendered I simply delete the contents of that work folder and I'm ready for the next project.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 23. 2019 19:58

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Windows has a shortcut to open PD any version /Recent projects or Library files. The most recent one saved will be at the top. This might be useful if you plan to do more than one project or video from the same media library. It is another tool for project management if you want. Haven’t heard from any contributor that recommend it on the forum.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Hi,

PDR has never had a user choice of default library. However, there are a couple of ways to get round the issue.

PDR launches with the sample library as the default - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector17\SampleClips. So it is possible to replace the contents with your own library of clips, which would then be used to populate the media room on launch.

That really only gives you a choice of 1 (without constantly replacing the Sample contents with "another library") but it may suit in some circumstances.

If you launch PDR, compile your own library, and export it to your choice of name and location (.....\PDRLibrary\Anitas_wedding or whatever), you will get the library file anitas_wedding.pdl.
Repeat for vacation2019.
Repeat for petes_birthday2018.
etc.
You now have a folder with several libraries in it.
If you set the default opening app to PDR17 for these .pdl files, and you then select and click anitas_wedding.pdl, then PDR will open with that library in the media room.

In effect, by choosing to launch PDR through the library file, you have a choice of "default" media room content.

You should note that the .pdl library files are version specific, so a PDR17 library file won't open PDR16 - you just get the "...later version..." error message. It looks like the .pdl library file is very similar to the section of the .pds file that identifies the assets used in a project, but without all the other edit instructions.

I haven't tested this technique exhaustively but it seems to work fine, hope it helps, it's worth playing about with!

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
Tony Ish UK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2018 05:36 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
A sideways and maybe off beam thought.

A default project could be saved with the project material packed, and the project opened or imported when required

Messy but might be an answer.

Rgds