Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Split video?
sunnyrose [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 22, 2019 02:10 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello there. I'm hoping there is an easy solution to this but I have not found it as yet.

I have several clips which I want to sync. to music. I know that I would like sections of 1:16 and 0:38 so I can juggle them around to fit with the beat. This would appear to be easy using the Trim tool (scissor icon), but much to my puzzlement when measuring time, PD14 divides one second into 25 parts!

I mean that when dragging over the timeline, a clip will give me a visual count of (for example) 19:22, then 19:23, then 19:24 and then (for reasons I cannot fathom) the next increment is 20:00 !! This makes trimming to specific lengths very tedious as I have to work this out on paper (my head has exploded) to get the clip lengths I want.

This would be simpler if the music had pronounced beats, but my waveform is not that easy to read in that regard so I have to resort to time.

I then discovered that there are 'Single trim' and 'multi-trim' options but that is not so user-friendly. Can somebody please point me to a resource which simply explains these Trim options for me (and will it make my task easier)?
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
The reason for the 25 parts is that they are the individual frames. This notation is normal for all video editors. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, your source clip was recorded at 25 frames per seond, and the final number in PD's timeline is actually the frame number. If you have a 60p clip, there will be 60 frames per second, likewise 50 @ 50p.

You can't work with anything shorter than 1 frame, which in your clip lasts for 0.04 seconds. So your only possible clip lengths are x.00s, 1.04s (x seconds + 1 frame), x.08s (x seconds + 2 frames), x.12s (+3 frames), etc.

Alsso you don't have to worry about being exact when it comes to timing. As long as the audio and video sections align within 0.20 seconds (5 frames) most people won't notice, and realistically being synced within 2 frames is as good as you'll ever need.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°