Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Laptop size
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
I am considering replacing my ageing i7 laptop with one having the following specs:

Intel i5 8250u/Nvidia GeForce MX 150, 20w version/256gb ssd

Is this spec reasonable for editing? I usually edit/produce around 10 to 15 min segments and then compile for dvd burning. I realise that desktop is better suited but laptop suits my facility CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am considering replacing my ageing i7 laptop with one having the following specs:

Intel i5 8250u/Nvidia GeForce MX 150, 20w version/256gb ssd

Is this spec reasonable for editing? I usually edit/produce around 10 to 15 min segments and then compile for dvd burning. I realise that desktop is better suited but laptop suits my facility

Generally speaking, you don't want to go from an i7 to an i5. i7s have hyperthreading, which effectively doubles the processing it can do on supported apps (like PD) compared to an i5. If you're going to get a new laptop, get the newer generation i7 as well.

If you're producing to DVD, then I assume you won't be working with any very high resolution clips, like 2k or 4k, so there probably isn't a pressing need to get a laptop with a discrete GPU. Personally, in your shoes I'd skip that and get a bigger SSD to go with the i7.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]

Generally speaking, you don't want to go from an i7 to an i5. i7s have hyperthreading, which effectively doubles the processing it can do on supported apps (like PD) compared to an i5. If you're going to get a new laptop, get the newer generation i7 as well.

If you're producing to DVD, then I assume you won't be working with any very high resolution clips, like 2k or 4k, so there probably isn't a pressing need to get a laptop with a discrete GPU. Personally, in your shoes I'd skip that and get a bigger SSD to go with the i7.

Hello again. I have done a lot of reading and one thread ...

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46836.page

... has left me somewhat confused! Is the current situation that PD14 will not make use of a Nvidia GeForce MX 150, 2 GB? I am looking to purchase a laptop that does incorporate Intel i7 (8th gen) with 16GB Ram but it also has this GPU preinstalled. CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello again. I have done a lot of reading and one thread ...

... has left me somewhat confused! Is the current situation that PD14 will not make use of a Nvidia GeForce MX 150, 2 GB? I am looking to purchase a laptop that does incorporate Intel i7 (8th gen) with 16GB Ram but it also has this GPU preinstalled.

That thread is 3 years old and the driver issue there was about older cards, even back then.

PD14 is now 3 1/2 years old and is no longer actively supported (as in no more patches or updates). nVidia has started using a new software interface (API) in their latest drivers, and only PD16 and 17 have been updated to use them.

That's actually irrelevant here, as the MX150 is a very basic chip and I don't think it has any real value for producing videos. The main benefit for using dedicated GPUs with PD is to access the hardware encoder/decoder which can speed up producing times. The MX150 (which is based on the desktop GT 1030) has H.264 and H.265 decoders (which help with viewing) but no encoders (which are needed for producing).

If you're a gamer and want some performance boost, the MX150 is an entry-level chip but it doesn't look like it will help PD.

As for the CPU, I was mistaken earlier when I inferred that only i7s are hyperthreaded, and also that hyperthreading "effectively doubles the processing it can do". The i5-8250U IS hyperthreaded and it has a decent Passmark score, although a score of 10k or higher is recommended here on the forum for video work, so check your potential new laptop's CPU score.

Also, hyperthreading only provides a 5% or so reduction in producing time, so it does help but it's not as significant as I originally mentioned.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
RonH
[Post New]
Thanks again for your detailed reply ... gives me a lot to think about. I recognise the age of PD 14 (started myself with PD9) but my existing (getting unreliable) and dated gear comprising of i7 2630 QM, 8GB RAM and Radeon (TM) HD 6770M has always struggled somewhat when doing complex Editing. It has been necessary to 'power' it on maximum efficiency and put up with the occasional freeze or PD crash. However, overall it has served its purpose so no complaints.

From what you say and what I have read, an Intel i5-8250U is a big improvement on the early Sandy i7-2630QM. It is a more regular 'sale' and hence represents good value ... even here in Norway! Again, models also often include the Nvidia GeForce MX 150 but I guess that this is not a disadvantage and perhaps may offer some other graphics advantages (over combined graphics) for applications other than PD14 ... such as image editing using GIMP or Raw Therapy. Further reading illustrates that little use is made of GPU on GIMP & RTh.

Most laptops in my price range here incorporate 8GB RAM with some having upgrade ppossibilities if it is insufficient for my video production style.

So unless I hear that 'this is a bad decision' I think I will proceed with an i5 version.

Cheers Ron

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 30. 2019 01:06

CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
WeWorkToVisitVegas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 01, 2018 10:27 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

Hello again. I have done a lot of reading and one thread ...

... has left me somewhat confused! Is the current situation that PD14 will not make use of a Nvidia GeForce MX 150, 2 GB? I am looking to purchase a laptop that does incorporate Intel i7 (8th gen) with 16GB Ram but it also has this GPU preinstalled.

I have been completely UNABLE to get my MX150 to work with PD17. I've tried every trick I could find!
RonH
[Post New]

I have been completely UNABLE to get my MX150 to work with PD17. I've tried every trick I could find!

You could try (on Windows 10) to go to Settings/Display/Graphics Settings and browse for the PD17 PDR exe. I have mine working but its an earlier version of PD. However based on what has been advised on this thread perhaps setting this does not really offer any benefits. Others more expert than myself maybe able to assist.
Good luck. CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)