Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is there any effect I could use on PD17 to get this result ?
Hogdson2000 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 20, 2019 09:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I'm trying to find something which could provide me this kind of visual effects :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF-sj-GILt8

Is there something similar on Power Director 17 ?

Thank you !

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 20. 2019 10:00

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is there something similar on Power Director 17 ?

Thank you !

The short answer is : Yes.

The longer answer is: But, it will require a lot time and effort to pull together the 2 dozen or so different Fx and edits that No Copyright used to make that trailer. There are several things going on with every frame, and some of the clips or Fx come and go while others carry over for a second or two.

The complexity isn't a problem for PD, but creatively, you're dealing with many, many moving pieces: clips and Fx being overlaid and interacting and being cut up and shifted on a frame-by-frame basis. On top of that, you've got to time everything to the music in general, and also match the content to the crescendos.

That took a ton of work to envision and sketch out and then create, and I think it would take an experienced editor DAYS to actually put together and perfect those 33 seconds. There's no one-click tool to do this.

By watching the video, you now have a termplate and know the kinds of things you want to put in your version, but if you're a newbie editor, starting with this is going to be a terrible experience. Sorry!

I would consider this grad school-level editing, because you really need to understand each of the FX and edits on their own to effectively pull them together in such a tight sequence.

You can certainly start with a few clips and experiment with the different tools and Fx that come with PD, using that vid as your guide.

Learn how to adjust the clips and effects to get closer to that style, then add another section or try another effect on your existing section, taking things step by step and not trying to get everything done on the first try.

That's the only way I can recommend even thinking about a project like this. If you're a more experienced editor, start with what you already know and build on it. Either way, step by step is the answer.
Hogdson2000 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 20, 2019 09:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

The short answer is : Yes.

The longer answer is: But, it will require a lot time and effort to pull together the 2 dozen or so different Fx and edits that No Copyright used to make that trailer. There are several things going on with every frame, and some of the clips or Fx come and go while others carry over for a second or two.

The complexity isn't a problem for PD, but creatively, you're dealing with many, many moving pieces: clips and Fx being overlaid and interacting and being cut up and shifted on a frame-by-frame basis. On top of that, you've got to time everything to the music in general, and also match the content to the crescendos.

That took a ton of work to envision and sketch out and then create, and I think it would take an experienced editor DAYS to actually put together and perfect those 33 seconds. There's no one-click tool to do this.

By watching the video, you now have a termplate and know the kinds of things you want to put in your version, but if you're a newbie editor, starting with this is going to be a terrible experience. Sorry!

I would consider this grad school-level editing, because you really need to understand each of the FX and edits on their own to effectively pull them together in such a tight sequence.

You can certainly start with a few clips and experiment with the different tools and Fx that come with PD, using that vid as your guide.

Learn how to adjust the clips and effects to get closer to that style, then add another section or try another effect on your existing section, taking things step by step and not trying to get everything done on the first try.

That's the only way I can recommend even thinking about a project like this. If you're a more experienced editor, start with what you already know and build on it. Either way, step by step is the answer.

Hello and thank you for your reply

There is no template ready to use ? Something similar would be ok, not exactly the same !
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello and thank you for your reply

There is no template ready to use ? Something similar would be ok, not exactly the same !

Dude, did you not even read my response?

No, no one has built a template that grabs 20 different images and mixes and mashes them with a dozen effects into something like that.

You can build one though, starting with PiP Objects like this (if you have a version of PD that comes with the Action Pack 2 add-on).
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Hogdson2000 -

optodata's advice about taking it one step at a time is spot on. Whoever created that NoCopyright Trailer had to do just that.

Obviously the music is the first point of sequence design, because the timing is based on that.

It would help you to start by breaking it down into smaller section. It begins with 5 sequences, matched to the audio, then goes into a chaotic-looking series of images, effects & overlays like the one optodata attached.

Have a look at the attached screenshot showing the general layout of the sequences.

One of the core elements of the opening 5 sequences is an image that zooms out (starts bigger than screen then crashes in). In the 2:12 sequence (2 seconds & 12 frames) the image zoom takes 20 frames from start to finish.

As stated above, there's no magic template to do this... but you can do it in PDR.

A good starting point would be to set up the image zooms to match the audio (attached).

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
NC Sequence.m4a
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
799 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
155 time(s)
[Thumb - NoCopyright Trailer Sequences.jpg]
 Filename
NoCopyright Trailer Sequences.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
791 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!