Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Repeated BSOD in PD17 (suspect Nvidia drivers)
paulsw2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 29, 2015 09:25 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone. I recently upgraded to PD17 from PD14 and, around the same time, I updated my Nvida Gforce drivers (now up to Version 417.71). I now suffer repeated crashes while editing in PD17 such that I've had to go back and edit in PD14 (which seems to be fine), though I still render in PD17.

I'm aware there's an issue between PD17 and the latest generation of Nvidia drivers. Just wondered if there's a fix, or likely to be, as at the moment I don't feel I'm getting the full value from PD17!

(Note: card is GTX 1070 with an i7-6700 CPU)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi everyone. I recently upgraded to PD17 from PD14 and, around the same time, I updated my Nvida Gforce drivers (now up to Version 417.71). I now suffer repeated crashes while editing in PD17 such that I've had to go back and edit in PD14 (which seems to be fine), though I still render in PD17.

I'm aware there's an issue between PD17 and the latest generation of Nvidia drivers. Just wondered if there's a fix, or likely to be, as at the moment I don't feel I'm getting the full value from PD17!

(Note: card is GTX 1070 with an i7-6700 CPU)

Post a pic of the info screen from the PowerDirector icon in the top right hand corner. I would just like to verify which GPU you are really using with PD.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I imagine that Jeff suspects that your crash might actually caused by the known issue with new Intel drivers for your i7's embedded iGPU, and it would also help if you could follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting thread at the top of the forum index page and attach the DxDiag results.

That's the best way to convey your system's critical details over to us!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 19. 2019 22:01

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
paulsw2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for responses. My apologies for not attaching the required information. Here it is, hope that helps.

Paul
[Thumb - PD17 Info Screen.jpg]
 Filename
PD17 Info Screen.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
61 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
58 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag190119.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
78 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
668 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for responses. My apologies for not attaching the required information. Here it is, hope that helps.

Paul

Thanks for posting these. Your screenshot shows that PD is aware of your GTX 1070, and your DxDiag results show that the HD Graphics 530 iGPU that's embedded in your i7-6700 isn't even visible, so there is no potentially problematic driver loaded for it.

The issue you mentioned in your original post has been completely fixed in PD 17.0.2314, so there shouldn't be any reason to go back to the older 411.70 nVidia version unless you want to use hardware producing in PD14, too.

The most recent 10 Windows Error Reports (WER0-9 at the end of the DxDiag results) show two serious "Blue Screen" failures and several problems with Windows Update, but nothing from PD. It's possible that there are some underlying Windows issues given the WU failures, but they don't seem to be affecting PD14.

You mentioned that you get the crashes when editing in PD17 - have you noticed a pattern, like it crashes after clicking on the Produce tab or when performing a certain operation, or is it seemingly more random?

Is PD crashing and giving you the Crash Report window, or does it hang forever and you have to kill it or reboot?

Is your system overclocked?

Do the crashes happen with very simple projects, or only with complex or heavily processed ones?

Do the crashes stop if you uncheck the Hardware Acceleration options in Preferences?

You said that you're able to render (produce) your PD14 projects in PD17, so it sounds like the problem isn't happening there. Are you producing with the Fast video render technology: box checked or unchecked?

Sorry for the interrogation, but so far I don't see a smoking gun for what's causing your crashes and maybe hearing more details about what you've seen will help.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
paulsw2, It looks like you may have a corrupt install of your Nvidia drivers. Your driver date and time stamp are not consistent with 417.71 release.
Driver File Version: 25.21.0014.1771 (English)
Driver Date/Size: 11/01/2019 00:00:00, 957616 bytes (This date and timestamp appear invalid for 417.71 release)

Did windows install your 417.71 driver or did you install from Nvidia? I'd probably try a self install from Nvidia download and select the Custom option and then the "Clean installation" option and just install the Nvidia driver and nothing else, if your not a gamer, and see if that clears up your crashes.

Jeff
optodata
[Post New]
Quote paulsw2, It looks like you may have a corrupt install of your Nvidia drivers. Your driver date and time stamp are not consistent with 417.71 release.
Driver File Version: 25.21.0014.1771 (English)
Driver Date/Size: 11/01/2019 00:00:00, 957616 bytes (This date and timestamp appear invalid for 417.71 release)

Did windows install your 417.71 driver or did you install from Nvidia? I'd probably try a self install from Nvidia download and select the Custom option and then the "Clean installation" option and just install the Nvidia driver and nothing else, if your not a gamer, and see if that clears up your crashes.

Jeff

Actually the timestamp is valid for a system with a clock set to GMT (UK time). File size is also correct for 417.71.

No harm in trying a clean install however.

YouTube/optodata

paulsw2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for these responses. Quite a lot to process here! Re. Nvidia drivers - I update these via GForce Experience and keep them as up to date as possible. I've not noticed issues with any other applications, particularly my railway simulator game (the actual reason I have a high end GTX card).

Quote The most recent 10 Windows Error Reports (WER0-9 at the end of the DxDiag results) show two serious "Blue Screen" failures and several problems with Windows Update, but nothing from PD. It's possible that there are some underlying Windows issues given the WU failures, but they don't seem to be affecting PD14.

Yes, I noticed these error reports - I've checked Windows updates and one failed to install on 17/01/19, but then subsequently successfully installed the next day. Currently, updates are up to date.

Quote You mentioned that you get the crashes when editing in PD17 - have you noticed a pattern, like it crashes after clicking on the Produce tab or when performing a certain operation, or is it seemingly more random?

As far as I recall, all the crashes have happened while I've been editing in the timeline (eg. trimming clips, adding transitions etc.) not elsewhere in the programme.

Quote Is PD crashing and giving you the Crash Report window, or does it hang forever and you have to kill it or reboot?

It goes to BSOD and reboots Windows - I should have added that it gives the error message: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and 'nvlddmkm.sys'.

Quote Is your system overclocked?

No.

Quote Do the crashes happen with very simple projects, or only with complex or heavily processed ones?

My projects are pretty simple editing: trimming of clips, adding of transitions. Though I do use Fix/Enhance quite a lot.

Quote Do the crashes stop if you uncheck the Hardware Acceleration options in Preferences?

I'll try checking this!

Quote You said that you're able to render (produce) your PD14 projects in PD17, so it sounds like the problem isn't happening there. Are you producing with the Fast video render technology: box checked or unchecked?

I use this box checked. Though I should add I've not yet had a crash while in the 'Produce' screen.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled PD17, so we'll see if that makes any difference.

Once again, my thanks for your responses.

Paul
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Actually the timestamp is valid for a system with a clock set to GMT (UK time). File size is also correct for 417.71.

No harm in trying a clean install however.

I'm not so sure, the disconnect I saw was between the drivers and the installer and containers. The installer and containers all appear valid to me, for instance this:
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\NVIDIA Corporation\Drs\dbInstaller.exe, 25.21.0014.1771 (English), 1/12/2019 04:03:24, 732040 bytes

The 1/12/2019 04:03:24 is entirely valid, the driver install date of 11/01/2019 appears invalid for the rest of the install packages and the timecode region.

I've never seen this where the install packages toggle between M/D/Y to D/M/Y.

Regardless, I would definitely try the clean install option with just the driver, no GForce Experience or anything else selected and see if PD is stable. When checking timeline stability, I'd also have pref Hardware Acceleration items unchecked, and then if if stable reintroduce the settings you wish.

Jeff
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for these responses. Quite a lot to process here! Re. Nvidia drivers - I update these via GForce Experience and keep them as up to date as possible.
It goes to BSOD and reboots Windows - I should have added that it gives the error message: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and 'nvlddmkm.sys'.

These are key to my thinking, especially now that you've shared the clear role the nVidia driver has in your BSODs.

In the past, there have been problems when using PD and the various "extras" that are installed by default when using GeForce Experience, and I learned many years ago to only install the core driver. Installing the PhysX System Software also seems to be fine.

For the moment, disable the GeForce Experience app and download the 417.71 driver manually from here.

When you run the installer, check the NVIDIA Graphics Driver box (so you won't get the GeForce Experience). On the next screen, choose Custom (Advanced) then deselect everything except the Graphics Driver and (for your game) PhysX System Software. It's very important that you also check the Perform a clean installation box.

Click next so that the installer will uninstall all existing nVidia software first and then will install just the two items you selected. You'll need to reboot, and then try working with PD17 again and see if things have improved.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 20. 2019 12:40

YouTube/optodata

paulsw2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for this advice. I'm away for a few days, but I'll try and give it a go later in the week.

I should add that I used PD17 yesterday without incident after I unchecked Hardware Acceleration in Preferences. So maybe that helped? (I uncheck it during editing, then simply recheck it during render.)

Paul
Santito [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 07, 2020 14:23 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Watching this thread.... Just today when trying to edit in timeline mode I have been expereincing the exact same issue... BSOD only while PD17 is up and running. A few times I had it BSOD just after PD finishes loading but most commonly it will BSOD when just trying to add transitions.
Santito [Avatar]
[Post New]

These are key to my thinking, especially now that you've shared the clear role the nVidia driver has in your BSODs.

In the past, there have been problems when using PD and the various "extras" that are installed by default when using GeForce Experience, and I learned many years ago to only install the core driver. Installing the PhysX System Software also seems to be fine.

For the moment, disable the GeForce Experience app and download the 417.71 driver manually from here.

When you run the installer, check the NVIDIA Graphics Driver box (so you won't get the GeForce Experience). On the next screen, choose Custom (Advanced) then deselect everything except the Graphics Driver and (for your game) PhysX System Software. It's very important that you also check the Perform a clean installation box.

Click next so that the installer will uninstall all existing nVidia software first and then will install just the two items you selected. You'll need to reboot, and then try working with PD17 again and see if things have improved.

Followed these steps and no change. As soon as I drop a second transition on the timeline... BSOD.
optodata
[Post New]
Sorry that you're having this issue, but we can't do anything to help until you get us your DxDiag results

YouTube/optodata

Santito [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Sorry that you're having this issue, but we can't do anything to help until you get us your DxDiag results

Sorry... forgot to include that.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
77 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
549 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for attaching that. I see several possible issues, two of which are nVidia related.

The first is that your installed driver is over a year old. Please download the latest version (442.19) from here. When you install it, I'd recommend doing a custom installation and uncheck everything except the video driver. Then check the Clean Install option so all older versions of any installed drivers will be removed.

Try that and see how things work. If PD17 is stable and you're a gamer, at that point you can run the nVidia installer again and add any needed gaming components.

If you're still getting crashes after doing the clean install of the newest nVidia driver, you'll need to look into doing a system level check on Windows. This post has the two easiest and most likely to help steps (skip to the paragraphs with bold text).

If you get errors that can't be fixed even after running those utilities several times, you may need to use the Reset this PC option.

YouTube/optodata

Santito [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for attaching that. I see several possible issues, two of which are nVidia related.

The first is that your installed driver is over a year old. Please download the latest version (442.19) from here. When you install it, I'd recommend doing a custom installation and uncheck everything except the video driver. Then check the Clean Install option so all older versions of any installed drivers will be removed.

Try that and see how things work. If PD17 is stable and you're a gamer, at that point you can run the nVidia installer again and add any needed gaming components.

If you're still getting crashes after doing the clean install of the newest nVidia driver, you'll need to look into doing a system level check on Windows. This post has the two easiest and most likely to help steps (skip to the paragraphs with bold text).

If you get errors that can't be fixed even after running those utilities several times, you may need to use the Reset this PC option.

I'll try another clean install of the driver and see what happens. I have run system file checker with the repair option twice and no errors/problems were detected each time.
Thx.
optodata
[Post New]
OK. Of the 10 crashes shown at the end of the DxDiag file, the only one that identifies an app shows that it was NVDisplay.Container.exe. If that keeps giving you trouble, you can disable it from Win10's Services app.

YouTube/optodata

Santito [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote OK. Of the 10 crashes shown at the end of the DxDiag file, the only one that identifies an app shows that it was NVDisplay.Container.exe. If that keeps giving you trouble, you can disable it from Win10's Services app.

BSOD still persists... however I checked the 3d setting as oer the previous post and unchecked Hardware Decoding in PD.. so far it seems to have remained stable. I have not had any problems with my games and they are reasonably intense 1st person shooters... only seen issues with PD for some odd reason.

I'll run it for a while with that one setting unchecked and see if it remains stable.
K6CCC - Jim [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 06, 2020 13:02 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I happened onto this thread while searching for forum topics about repeated BSOD.

I am a very new PD user - having installed PD18 on this comptuer about a month ago. Have not had much time to do much with it until recently and have had several BSOD events. Reading this forum topic very closely matches what I am seeing - except that I am on PD18. I will be checking on the video drivers shortly, but wanted to get this started here as it is obvious that there are people here who know FAR more than I do about this troubleshooting. I also have read enough to know that you need my information, so attachements included. Every time it has crashed, the BSOD screen has shown the same error information.
This is a high end Dell gaming desktop with 16GB of RAM and Windows 10 Pro.
The last time it crashed, I had opened PD18 so I could get the screen capture of teh About screen. When I started PD18, it said it found a previous session that it could attempt to recover (the the previous crash last night). After it recovered it, I saved the session with a new filename and it crashed during the save.

jim
[Thumb - About_PowerDirector.png]
 Filename
About_PowerDirector.png
[Disk]
 Description
About PD18
 Filesize
51 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
[Thumb - BSOD_2020-08-07.jpg]