Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cyberlink PD refusing to load without system reboot
Andrew_1957 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 26, 2018 06:29 Messages: 93 Offline
[Post New]
Has anyone else experienced PD refusing to load again, after working on a project then closing the program down.

This seems to happen regularly if I exit the program in error after saving my project - and it then refuses to reload until I reboot.

The other programs in the suite load as normal.

Experienced this earlier this year on my old PC also.

Im running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

PD16 is up todate with the most recent patch released.
Hankster65
Newbie Location: Kettering, OH Joined: Dec 04, 2018 09:19 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Has anyone else experienced PD refusing to load again, after working on a project then closing the program down.

This seems to happen regularly if I exit the program in error after saving my project - and it then refuses to reload until I reboot.

I experience this often running on my Windows 10 system that has only 8gb of ram. It seems to occur most often after I've rendered a project that has made a heavy drain on system resources. I'm GUESSING that once ram gets chewed up PD refuses to start. I would just about bet money that if my system had sufficient ram this problem would not occur. I'm curious as to how much ram your sytem has? If you don't take joy in the snow you'll have less joy in your life and the same amount of snow.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Has anyone else experienced PD refusing to load again, after working on a project then closing the program down.

Next time simply use task manager and make sure "PDHanumanSvr Application" is not running as a background service prior to launching PD again. I'm not sure how fast you are relaunching PD, some users had reported it takes some time for this PD service to shutdown properly. Since running WIN10, it should be listed in Task Manager Background processes.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 17. 2019 09:25

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
As JL_JL mentioned, there is a minimum "restart interval" that needs to pass between closing PD and being able to relaunch it. I've only run into this when I try and re-open PD within a second or two of closing it, and if I wait 3-4 seconds it usually will work.

This post lists a couple other Cyberlink programs that might still be running and can interfere with PD being able to launch. Those programs are shown in bold.

If closing all of those still won't let you re-open PD, then don't waste any more time. Reboot and get on with your life

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Andrew_1957 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I experience this often running on my Windows 10 system that has only 8gb of ram. It seems to occur most often after I've rendered a project that has made a heavy drain on system resources. I'm GUESSING that once ram gets chewed up PD refuses to start. I would just about bet money that if my system had sufficient ram this problem would not occur. I'm curious as to how much ram your sytem has?

I've got 16gb ram and 6gb on my video card
Andrew_1957 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks people for the input - will watch out for this - at least it confirms I've not gone totally mad....yet LOL
Hankster65
[Post New]

With that much ram I'd have to say I was barking up the wrong tree when I suspected ram issues. As others have suggested, I'll have to try looking at some slow to close processes. That theory would also account for a problem I often get: being unable to delete files that were used in the production even after shutting down PD. They come up as undeletable with the message that they are in use by another program. It all makes sense. If you don't take joy in the snow you'll have less joy in your life and the same amount of snow.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote With that much ram I'd have to say I was barking up the wrong tree when I suspected ram issues. As others have suggested, I'll have to try looking at some slow to close processes. That theory would also account for a problem I often get: being unable to delete files that were used in the production even after shutting down PD. They come up as undeletable with the message that they are in use by another program. It all makes sense.

Yes, that does fit the scenario that "PDHanumanSvr Application" is still running even though your PD session was closed. Keep in mind, this service is application (PD) launched while PDStyleAgent and the RichVideo modules are system start launch so those will always be running. The "PDHanumanSvr Application" service will only be running when a PD session is active or did not close properly. This application creates the shadow files, timeline thumbnails, timeline waveform....so on..., so has to scrub the entire file start to finish hence the used by another program message you observe.

Jeff
Hankster65
[Post New]

Yes, that does fit the scenario that "PDHanumanSvr Application" is still running even though your PD session was closed. Keep in mind, this service is application (PD) launched while PDStyleAgent and the RichVideo modules are system start launch so those will always be running. The "PDHanumanSvr Application" service will only be running when a PD session is active or did not close properly. This application creates the shadow files, timeline thumbnails, timeline waveform....so on..., so has to scrub the entire file start to finish hence the used by another program message you observe.

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for the heads up on the continuously running "background" services. Learn something new every day! For the last couple of days I've used PD a bunch yet I've not had another occurence of the issue. Consequently, I've not been able to do any further investigation of the problem. (Sort of like going to the doctor's and as soon as you enter the waiting room all symptoms disappear.) If you don't take joy in the snow you'll have less joy in your life and the same amount of snow.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
There are several decisions that software/application developers make quite deliberately.

When I was developing 'in-house' apps I automatically checked open processes and killed the app if it was already running. It prevented complications for me.

Another question that occasionally comes up is why PDR size/state isn't carried over to the next session. It is so easy to do that it must also be a deliberate choice by the developers not to do it.