Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What is the right bitrate setting for my screenrecorder 3?
Tony Wall [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 06, 2018 20:27 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
For the life of me I can't understand the bitrate stuff; hopefully someone can help.

I use Screenrecorder 3 with a Logitec C930e webcam HD1080p and I use a separate michrophone. The problem I have is this; the sound is not quite in sync with with my mouth movements. And also my body movements seem a little jumpy.

These are my settings: My video size is set to 640x360, I have set the frame rate to 30 and the bitrate is set to standard and I haven't put anything in the little box next to where it says Youtube Kbps (300 - 9000).

Can anyone suggest the actual number I should put in that box?

I have been everywhere trying to find this out in the hope that I can solve my problem, but to no avail; all I get is a lot of calculations I simply don't understand.

Thanks Tony
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote For the life of me I can't understand the bitrate stuff; hopefully someone can help.

I use Screenrecorder 3 with a Logitec C930e webcam HD1080p and I use a separate michrophone. The problem I have is this; the sound is not quite in sync with with my mouth movements. And also my body movements seem a little jumpy.

These are my settings: My video size is set to 640x360, I have set the frame rate to 30 and the bitrate is set to standard and I haven't put anything in the little box next to where it says Youtube Kbps (300 - 9000).

Can anyone suggest the actual number I should put in that box?

I have been everywhere trying to find this out in the hope that I can solve my problem, but to no avail; all I get is a lot of calculations I simply don't understand.

Thanks Tony

I think you actually may have a couple of different issues, and maybe by answering these questions we can help you get them figured out.

First, where are you seeing the audio sync issue? In the webcam window when you're not running ScreenRecorder3, in the webcam window when SR3 IS running, in the screen recording itself, or when it's streamed to YouTube? Those are listed from the first to last processing step, so if it shows up in step 2 it should also be in steps 3 and 4. All we need is which step first shows the issue.

Secondly, and possibly completely unrelated to the first issue, the bitrate is simply a measurement of how much data you're sending every second.

There is math involved because a 30 frame-per-second stream only needs half the bitrate of a 60fps clip, and also higher bitrates = clearer picture (as in more details, less blockiness and less jumpiness), while lower bitrates will relay lower quality video but can do it over poorer (low speed) connections.

With a 360/30p clip streaming to YT, you'd probably want to use the High value of 900 (not 9000!) as seen in the 2nd-to-last row in the table at the bottom of page 43 of the SR3 User Guide.
Tony Wall [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Optodata

The out of sync and bumpyness stuff seems to be happening from when I am not recording right through the finished product on Youtube.

As you have suggested, I have put '900' in the box next to where it says Youtube Kbps (300-9000) Do I put 900 in the Record box too?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The out of sync and bumpyness stuff seems to be happening from when I am not recording right through the finished product on Youtube.

Ok. The bad news is that the sync problem is what you're starting with, so nothing you do later on is going to make it better (with one exception, and even that won't work if you're live streaming).*

Far and away the best solution would be to look at your webcam's settings and/or the software that's displaying it on your screen to see if you can eliminate (or at least reduce) the delay between the audio and video. That's going to be crucial, and you should also check this webpage and make sure you're using the latest firmware and apps.

You're already using a small screen size and low frame rate, and if nothing changes maybe you have a slow computer.

Quote As you have suggested, I have put '900' in the box next to where it says Youtube Kbps (300-9000) Do I put 900 in the Record box too?

No. You want to record at much higher quality, but one thing I don't know is whether you're recording your entire screen with the small webcam window in the corner, or just the webcam view. You'll again want to use the High number, but this time for Local recording starting on page 42.

If you have an HD size screen (1920 pixels across x 1080 down) and you want to record at 30 frames per second, you should enter 12000 in the Record box (also, if that's actually the case, the table says you should use 6000, not 900 in the YouTube kbps box). If you're only recording the small webcam window, the table says to enter 2000 for Local Recording.

The key to getting good quality video is to have a good quality source, so focus on the first section and reach out for assistance from Logitech support or their forum if needed. Then you can enter the values I suggested and have a good quality YouTube video.

* The workaround only works if you're recording sessions to be streamed live later. In that case you'd have to manually unlink the audio from the video inside PD and then slide one left/right to sync it better, then produce the video. That way it'll end up being in sync.
Tony Wall [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Opto

I'm not recording the whole sceen. I am selecting an area the size of a standard youtube video. For the opening where I intro the topic I use up the entire selected space with video of myself and the office. Then when I discuss the selected video I use a small image in the corner. The opening intro is very short, and the discussion of the video or news article is usually a lot longer.

Does that change my bitrate settings?

At the moment all I am doing is recording (not streaming) and simply uploading my mp4 to Youtube the normal way.

Do I actually need bitrate settings for that?

Thanks Tony
optodata
[Post New]
Quote At the moment all I am doing is recording (not streaming) and simply uploading my mp4 to Youtube the normal way.

Do I actually need bitrate settings for that?

Thanks Tony
Only the local recording ones, because that's where you tell SR3 how high you want the video quality to be. You can set it to the value listed in the User Guide table, or to the maximum allowed.

Since you're not streaming, the YT kbps box won't ever be needed, and since YT will "decide" what the outgoing bitrate will be as it sends your video to people viewing it, you'll want your recording to be at the highest quality to start with.
Tony Wall [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Opto

Thanks for all your help. I am now starting to grasp this bitrate stuff more. As for the lipsink stuff, I'll try your editing solution or buy a new webcam.

Thanks Tony