Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Re-installing PD16 etc on new HDD After crash!
HookeyLukey69 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 07, 2016 07:53 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have tried my best to find this info on an existing thread without joy so apologies in advance if this has been duplicated elsewhere....

I am a long-time Cyberlink product user but my motherboard recently got totalled by a powersurge. Luckily my HDD was fine which had ll my video files etc.

The local computer tech has installed my old HDD into a refurb machine but it's sitting alongside the machine's existing HDD. (I now have two HDD's in one machine).

Can anyone tell me how to get my Cyberlink programmes (PD16, Audio Director7, ColorDirector5, and Photo Director 7 -all ULTRA versions) running on the new machine?

Can I simply Copy/Cut & Paste from the old HDD onto the new one?

Please be patient with this request as I have tried to start a new support ticket etc but for the last hour or so all I get when I go into most of the site links is a message saying "Secure Connection Failed".

Any help appreciated,

Luke
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
I think, you have to reinstall.
Normally, a Windows-PC has a HDD, which has the drive letter C:
Maybe, there are more HDD's with the drive letters D:, E: and so on.
If you install a program, than it is normally installed in C:\Program Files. But there are more information written, because you installed the program and everybody, who is allowed to use the computer, can use the program. With their own settings. These settengs are stored in subdirectories to C:\Users. And more informations are written in the registry (it has more than one file), regarding install pathes, licenses, path's to tools and helper programs. In various directories on C:
So if you just copy the program from the HDD, which formerly was C: to the new HDD, which now is C:, than you do not copy the needed information in other directories on the former C: drive. And you cannot copy all information, because the registry cannot be copied. So the copied program will most likely not run. Maybe it runs, so it's worth a try. But have your installation files nearby, it is the safest method, to reinstall.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
HookeyLukey69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I think, you have to reinstall.
Normally, a Windows-PC has a HDD, which has the drive letter C:
Maybe, there are more HDD's with the drive letters D:, E: and so on.
If you install a program, than it is normally installed in C:\Program Files. But there are more information written, because you installed the program and everybody, who is allowed to use the computer, can use the program. With their own settings. These settengs are stored in subdirectories to C:\Users. And more informations are written in the registry (it has more than one file), regarding install pathes, licenses, path's to tools and helper programs. In various directories on C:
So if you just copy the program from the HDD, which formerly was C: to the new HDD, which now is C:, than you do not copy the needed information in other directories on the former C: drive. And you cannot copy all information, because the registry cannot be copied. So the copied program will most likely not run. Maybe it runs, so it's worth a try. But have your installation files nearby, it is the safest method, to reinstall.

Hatti

Hi,

Thank you VERY much for your reply. It was very helpful. The problem is that while I have my license keys etc, I don't seem to be able to use much of the cyberlink site as I keep getting that SECURE CONNECTION FAILED screen everytime I try to click on almost all of the site links.

If I could I would start a support ticket for a direct link to re-install my software with the existing key etc. Is there a relevant installer file in the Program folder on the old hard drive? I can't see anything that looks like one ;-(

Or, does anyone have the email address for cyberlink tech support?

Best Wishes,

Luke
Tony Ish UK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2018 05:36 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
If there is no damage to the original HDd, could you not clone the old Hdd to the new disk ?

Then everything would as before before the rebuild

rgds
HookeyLukey69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If there is no damage to the original HDd, could you not clone the old Hdd to the new disk ?

Then everything would as before before the rebuild

rgds

Nice to hear from a fellow UK user! Cloning sounds great which, I presume involves task-specific software? Is there any risk in "banjaxing" (UK technical term) the new HDD by this process eg. upsetting Windows etc.?

Since the last post, I have managed to get access to the cyberlink technical support system - new setings on Bitdefender re-install was blocking the site. Hopefully they will appreciate my problem and send me a download link as I'm a long-standing customer.

Luke
Tony Ish UK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Probably others here could offer better advice, but if research the net, their is a lot of information on cloning old drives to newer drives.

It is a common although a little technical to carry out. So much so there are a number of backup software sellers that offer free software to carry out basic backup and cloning.

you take a clone of the c drive, and using a US B or DVD, produced by the software. Restart the computer using theDVD or UsB and copy the clone to the new drive.

The DVD installs the Basic Windows system then imports the clone information

I would have thought that whoever rebuilt your PC would have offered this service, albeit at a cost !

Rgds

UK 14:00 pm
iammykyl [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Brisbane. Australia. Joined: Sep 02, 2018 06:23 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Gday Luke.
A little more info would be helpful.
Size of the refurbished machines HDD?
Size of your original HDD?
Which drive are you booting from.

Have you made any backups of your Data? iammykyl
HookeyLukey69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

Thanks to all the above contributors for their help.

I have just got a reply back from the Support Team who have kindly provided me with download links for all the previously purchased software.

I am a happy bunny again!
iammykyl [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Brisbane. Australia. Joined: Sep 02, 2018 06:23 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

Thanks to all the above contributors for their help.

I have just got a reply back from the Support Team who have kindly provided me with download links for all the previously purchased software.

I am a happy bunny again!

I hope things go well, but things you should be aware of.
Your original HDD must not have the letter C: other wise when you install software to the refurbished machines drive, the installer may put files on both drives.
You cannot clone a drive taken from one machine to a drive on a different machine, it probable won't work correctly.
You can only successfully clone drives on the same machine. iammykyl
Tony Ish UK [Avatar]
[Post New]
O/topic I know but.

Can you make a clone disc after a new disc has Been added? I.e New Hdisc may have a new OS on it and the original Hdisk , l guess, becomes a partition, is it possible to clone the original, then use the clone copy back to the new Hdisk.

i hope you understand what I mean ;

rgds
iammykyl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote O/topic I know but.

Can you make a clone disc after a new disc has Been added? I.e New Hdisc may have a new OS on it and the original Hdisk , l guess, becomes a partition, is it possible to clone the original, then use the clone copy back to the new Hdisk.

i hope you understand what I mean ;

rgds

You don't actually produce a physical disk, or save the data as a file you can store and use later.
If you install a new hard drive in a machine and write a new OS to it and then clone (a bit by bit copy) of the original hard drive: the new hard drive is wiped and the old hard drive contents is writen to that new hard drive.
So you end up with two identical hard drives in the same machine,
and a system that probable won't Boot.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 17. 2019 17:16

Tony Ish UK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks,

so so reading between the lines, the system might boot from the newly cloned Hdd,

if there is boot confusion, disconnect the original old Hdd and find a way to reformat Hdd or wipe the old boot system to use as area as a partition, using a Usb caddie or similar.

My 100gb Ssd is nearing the 85% full, with little way of reducing the amount of programs, so I was thinking of replacing it with a 240gb ssd. Then using The original ssd for pd17 video, stills, music shadow files etc for the current project. Then next project, wipe clean and start afresh. General storage would revert to the Hdd.

rgds

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 18. 2019 11:46

iammykyl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks,

so so reading between the lines, the system might boot from the newly cloned Hdd,

if there is boot confusion, disconnect the original old Hdd and find a way to reformat Hdd or wipe the old boot system to use as area as a partition, using a Usb caddie or similar.
rgds

If you clone the old SSD onto a newly installed SSD, then power off, > disconect the power cable to the old SSD, > power on.
As the BIOS only sees the new SSD, should boot streight up.
If this is your intention, please start a new topic and PM me with a link; I can then give you specific help,
The Mods might be getting p off with us.
Tony Ish UK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Many thanks.

May take while, maybe take a look at upgrading everything . That will take a while what with brexit and failing pension!

Apologies to the Mods and members for hijacking the thread. But sort of related, if you stretch a point :

Rgds
iammykyl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Many thanks.

May take while, maybe take a look at upgrading everything . That will take a while what with brexit and failing pension!

Apologies to the Mods and members for hijacking the thread. But sort of related, if you stretch a point :

Rgds

OK, happen we will wee you again.
In the meantime, have a look at the software I use.
> very good cloning.