Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video stuttering (DVD)
robgorpl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 16, 2017 07:57 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I have PowerDVD 18 Ultra. When playing DVD movies, usually somewhere in the middle video starts to stutter and it happens every time with each DVD. I need to stop playing and then resume. I am not sure why is this happening because everything was fine with PowerDVD 17 Ultra. Is any of you has experienced something similar? It is quite irritating.

I have the latest graphic card drivers AMD - 19.1.1 - Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950. I uninstalled PDVD and installed it again. Still the same issue.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rob
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Same stuttering when playing DVDs on other PCs with powerdvd?
Do you have other DVD drives for check?
robgorpl [Avatar]
[Post New]
I haven't noticed this with PowerDVD 17 Ultra. Now, the DVD plays fine and usually somewhere in the middle of the movie, video starts to stutter. Audio seems to be ok.
There is one thing I haven't checked yet, if it is somehow related to refresh rate, because PDVD 18 is always asking me at the start to change refresh rate. I'll try with another drive too, but I don't think this is the reason.

No such thing with blu-ray movies - they are ok.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 15. 2019 07:41

Harbinger [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 27, 2014 19:27 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same issue. It started last year - check older posts too - around April-May. Maybe an update. Don't know, since no other changes were made on my PC. So far I tried to turn off TrueTheater effects, hardware accelration, even made a specific profiile at Nvidia Control Panel to turn off some stuff. I turn off Vsync. So far... the movies start to stutter, but at a much slower rate.
However, without any hassle the DVDs start this stutter after an hour playtime. If you Stop the play then resume it will gone for another hour, check a long movie. No issue with BDs or any other video formats. I didn't try the refresh rate thing, however this change only option with HDMI cable.

One more interesting conclusion! I have a GTX 960, but last year I tried to use my Intel HD4600 graphics and voilá, the stuttering is gone!
So, it somehow related to dedicated graphics (it's seems both ADM and Nvidia) or an update for PowerDVD. Weird this bug still exists after all this time.
robgorpl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

This is exactly what I am experiencing. I checked with at least several DVDs - still the same. Updated DVDR firmware - no luck. I tried with another drive - the problem still exists. Everything was ok with PDVD 17. I'll try to go back to the older graphic card drivers and see what will happen.
By the way, it is funny because the audio continues on perfectly.

And yes - no issue with BDs.
Harbinger [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 27, 2014 19:27 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I checked the refresh rate thing you mentioned, the stuttering still happens. So far I exhausted every possible options to solve this or figure out what causing it. Since it's 100% OK with integrated graphics!
I will use PowerDVD 14 for DVDs and I use PowerDVD Live for BDs. I just hope the 2019 version maybe get fixed. So far I will send a ticket to CyberLink too. I can't believe that kind of issue sliping through Q&A.

EDIT: One thing I didn't tried, run as Administrator.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 18. 2019 13:59

robgorpl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

I checked almost everything. I'll try to roll back to the previous graphic card drivers. I don't expect any change though.

I have already opened a ticket but they recommend to uninstall PDVD, reboot computer and then install it again....

I'll try to run PDVD as Administrator too.

Thanks.

Rob
robgorpl [Avatar]
[Post New]
UPDATE:

OK, the problem still exists when playing DVD (just DVDs!) in PowerDVD 18 Ultra. I have both PDVD 17 Ultra and PDVD 18 Ultra installed on the same Win10 64bit Pro system, the same DVD drive, the same graphic card drivers:

• PowerDVD 17 Ultra build 2307 - DVDs plays without any stuttering

• PowerDVD 18 Ultra build 3605 - the same DVDs play ok for about 1 hr or so and then stuttering happens.

I have tried everything. So, it seems that the problem must be in PDVD 18.

No issues with Blu ray.
robgorpl [Avatar]
[Post New]
UPDATE:

I have tried everything, contacted CyberLink Support. They have reproduced similar condition in their laboratory on Windows 10 testing platforms with PowerDVD 18 and this case has been escalated to engineering team awaiting technical investigation.

The root cause is unknown currently and requires further inspection, so there is no immediate solution available. What they said, it might take uncertain time to research the concern.

Temporary workaround? Play DVDs in PowerDVD 17, or pause and resume the playback when the condition happens on PowerDVD 18.

So, we have to wait.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 29. 2019 18:34

A_valid_nickname [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 27, 2019 11:47 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I personally use VLC for DVDs. That work perfect for me.
robgorpl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I personally use VLC for DVDs. That work perfect for me.

I paid for PowerDVD so I expect it will work. Anyway, the latest patch 2705 doesn't solve the problem. Just to let you all know.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
I think this issue has been fixed in the latest 3010 patch that released on 2019-06-26.
If it has been fixed, you can mark this topic as resolved.

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdvd-ultra/patches_en_GB.html