Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 17 Crashing when I add titles to time line.
[Post New]
Howdy,

I was attempting to make a video of all the different FX on my Power Director 17. I loaded a video added some music and then proceeded to start adding FX to the time line. I managed to get A-M loaded on the time line and if crashed about 4 times while attemping to do that. I then started to add the title tracks so I could write the FX type while the video was playing and have it displayed. It seems to be crashing alot since I started to add titles and I can only get a couple new titles on the timeline before it crashes again. Before it crashes and this also was with PD16 Ver the screen like expandes to full screen before it crashes or does it sometime when it is thinking....is this common to other users? Any ways the main issue is the crashing when I am adding titles for THIS project, I don't seem to have issues when just adding a beginning or ending title. I will post a video of what I am seeing and maybe someone might have some thoughts as to the problem or has a fix. Thanks..

Something else I just thought of it seemed to crash more when I was messing with the BorisFX Film Style FX and the BorisFX Stylize.

-Tony

https://youtu.be/-loB8XjzDUA
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I don’t see a fix but based on your statement there is a workaround. If you keep a constant time of say 10 seconds for each fx on the timeline then it would be easy to add titles later. Go ahead and produce what you have. Add 10 second titles to the produced file. This project can be produced again with titles added. There will be less load on the pc than in trying to produce it all in one shot.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks very much for the video. It clearly shows both the issues you're having with PD as well as the cause of your headaches - which is the HUGE number of FX on your timeline that are literally choking PD and your computer. Many of those FX are extremely compute-intensive, and lining one up after another after another is simply more than your system can handle.

While objects just sitting on the timeline don't require anywhere near the processing power needed to preview them or produce them, my guess is that PD is trying to allocate all kinds of resources that it will need once you start working, and it (or your system) run out of headroom.

You didn't post any of the info requested in the Read Me Before Posting thread, so I can't tell you if you have sufficient RAM or if things might get better with the latest video drivers, but I can say that you're going to have a vastly more stable editing experience if you cut that project up into smaller pieces.

That's actually the easiest way to prove or disprove my suggestion, too.

Save a copy of that project with just the first main clip + FX + titles, then try adding or editing titles. If PD can do that without crashing or going off into la-la land, then you'll know that the problem is basically that your original project was trying to do too much at one time.

You can easily produce each section and join all the clips in your final project, or you can break up the big project into separate projects and use the Insert Project feature to have them all accessible from the main project's timeline. Hopefully they'll be separate enough that PD won't try to allocate all those resources again, and either way, I'm confident that distributing your project's complexity over several smaller projects will be the key for your situation.

EDIT: tomasc answered first and I agree with his assessment. My response is just more wordy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 11. 2019 02:29

[Post New]
Thanks for the input, I did do a dxdiag as stated in the readme I just didnt post the file, it was late.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
dxdiag
 Filesize
105 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
316 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the input, I did do a dxdiag as stated in the readme I just didnt post the file, it was late.

Thanks for posting this. The log at the end shows lots of PDR.exe crashes, which is expected given what you've been experiencing. Windows looks up to date, but your Intel video driver is almost a year old. You can directly download the latest Intel driver from their website, but that's often a challenge as HP makes it difficult to install drivers not "approved" by them.

So instead, I recommend that you visit this HP Support page from your laptop and see if it shows updated drivers for your system.

As far as I can tell, the issue you're having is due to trying to do too much in a single project. While newer drivers can help your system work better and maybe even faster, I think the real solution is what tomasc and I have recommended.