Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What format do you use for long term storage
Andy43 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 16, 2014 11:46 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
I have about 200 home movie DVDs that were created in 2003/2004/2005 from VHS and digital tapes. I don't know why, but some I can import into PD12 as MPEG files and copy directly to an external HD. Other DVDs, I have to import the VOB files into PD. Should I transfer the files that I can as MPEG and leave the others as VOB? Would it be better to import the VOB files to PD (which I need to do anyway for creating highlights videos) then re "produce" the files so everything will be stored in the MPEG format? I'm thinking I would want to use the MPEG4 format.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
It does not answer your question, but for converting a DVD to an other video format, PD is, as an editor programm, the wrong tool.
Have a look at "Vidcoder". It's free and analyses the disc and can convert the main movie in e.g. a MP4 File. There are many more tools, as the always recommended "Handbrake". Unless you do not want to edit your DVD, they are all good tools for your purpose.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Andy43 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 16, 2014 11:46 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks so much for the response.

I took your advice and got Vidcoder. Never used this before and have a question. If I download the DVD VOB files from a disc it comes to around 4.2gigs of data in VOB format. If I use Vidcoder and download the same disc into MP4 format, it's only 1.6 gig. Does this mean the video quality is less with the MP4 format? Thanks!!
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
no, not necessarily. Depending on the bitrate the visual quality is the same. For .mp4, the codec H.264 or H.265 is used. They are much more efficient than the (old) mpeg2 codec, which is used for DVD. 1.6GB mp4 for a 4.2GB DVD sounds nice. I would think, thats good quality.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080