Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Capturing video from DVDs
Andy43 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 16, 2014 11:46 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
I did this with a DVD a few days ago, so I know it can be done but I cannot figure out how I did it. Using PD12. Just want to capture all of the chapters from the DVD and import them into my PC. Creating backup copies on external hard drives. I'm clicking on Capture, then the red dot to "Record" and all I get is a file that says "This file isn't playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt." These are all my home movies from years ago.

I can copy the VOB files but I would like to store these as MPEG2 or MPEG4 video files.

Thanks
Andy

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 07. 2019 21:36

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
At the top left of the Capture page there is a set of buttons that highlight in blue when there is a valid DVD in the optical drive. You must then click on that button to change it to be white and active first.
Andy43 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote At the top left of the Capture page there is a set of buttons that highlight in blue when there is a valid DVD in the optical drive. You must then click on that button to change it to be white and active first.

Thanks for the help. I've been selecting the far right option "Capture from an external or optical device." This button is not white but certainly highlighted compared to the other buttons. It works on some of my discs but not all. All of these discs were created with PD software years ago so there shouldn't be differences. Thanks again for the help with this.
Andy43 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks for the help. I've been selecting the far right option "Capture from an external or optical device." This button is not white but certainly highlighted compared to the other buttons. It works on some of my discs but not all. All of these discs were created with PD software years ago so there shouldn't be differences. Thanks again for the help with this.

Just noticed something....on the discs that are captured with no problems, there is a file on the disc: Video_TS.VOB This file is not included on the discs that do not want to upload. I'm thinking I may have to just move the VOB files to the PC, convert them to MP4 and go from there. THANKS AGAIN for any advice that could help me.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The Video_TS.VOB is the menu file for your videos on DVD. All of the DVDs that I create have a menu. Look at the capture title checkboxes for the DVD. You must have at least one checkbox enabled in order to capture like 1 chapter for example. Have no experience capturing any DVD without a menu. You have found the problem on your DVDs created without a menu.

You can copy those .VOB files to your hard drive and then export them to PD12. On older versions of PD you may need to change the VOB extension to mpg before they can import properly.

I don’t really recommend producing them to a mp4 file in PD12 as the original is interlaced video and whereas mp4 is progressive. You can end up with either reduced vertical resolution or hard coded mice teeth artifacts or both if you don’t do a proper de-interlace first.

See this post for an opinion from Barry on h.264 (mp4): https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/78215.page . Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Andy43 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Glad you knew what the Video_TS.VOB file represented. It's funny that when I play these discs on my DVD player, there is a menu on each disc. Oh well.

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 09. 2019 11:44