Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Deleting older versions
Ed1234 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 07, 2012 15:01 Messages: 30 Online
[Post New]
I have many versions of Powerdirector Suite installed on my laptop from as far back as 2013 - I did not delete the older versions as the new ones came out because I was scared about loosing something to make it work.
So as my laptops wear out I keep saving all the old versions and all Cybelink folders to my new laptops - the result being a laptop that has a lot of memory tied up with old versions.(scattered everywhere}
Now I want to freeup some space and saw that the older versions are taking up several Gigs of space.
My question is how do I safely delete the older versions with out lose of functionallity and saved info.
Should I be delecting "Rar" and "application folders" - I assume I sould try go thru the various Cyberlink folders that are scattered thru my lap top on both "C" and "D" drives and save the zipped folders(like "50 boom Library" and "Muserk music" and saved Effects etc) to a folder and put that folder somewhere? Is there anything that must not be delected or moved?
Please any help would be GREATLY appreciated
I'm thinking the newest version won't have anything saved on the laptop it will all be in the cloud is that correct?
Maybe I should wait until its time to replace this laptop then just start with fresh install and HOPE all my paid for extras(Holiday Packs etc) will work
Ed

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2019 15:04

AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have many versions of Powerdirector Suite installed on my laptop from as far back as 2013 - I did not delete the older versions as the new ones came out because I was scared about loosing something to make it work.
So as my laptops wear out I keep saving all the old versions and all Cybelink folders to my new laptops - the result being a laptop that has a lot of memory tied up with old versions.(scattered everywhere}
Now I want to freeup some space and saw that the older versions are taking up several Gigs of space.
My question is how do I safely delete the older versions with out lose of functionallity and saved info.
Should I be delecting "Rar" and "application folders" - I assume I sould try go thru the various Cyberlink folders that are scattered thru my lap top on both "C" and "D" drives and save the zipped folders(like "50 boom Library" and "Muserk music" and saved Effects etc) to a folder and put that folder somewhere? Is there anything that must not be delected or moved?
Please any help would be GREATLY appreciated
I'm thinking the newest version won't have anything saved on the laptop it will all be in the cloud is that correct?
Maybe I should wait until its time to replace this laptop then just start with fresh install and HOPE all my paid for extras(Holiday Packs etc) will work
Ed

I renewed my recent PC and had the same situation.
I opted for the PD365 version that offers a lot of material, see in the advertisement what is available so far.
Packages you purchased may install again, if applicable.
It should pay attention to the material you have created, this sim should save if it will make a totally new installation.
I discovered that it had many effects that I use and were created from PD8.
To end these folders from earlier versions PD.
I have added everything I use or intend to use, in the timeline and saved Pack Project Materials... Titles, Pip's, Particles, Custon's Room and Download.
In the new installation PD365, I opened the effects project and saved 1 to 1 each effect of my interest.
The PD365 installation is online we do not have a file for Backup, everything else is downloaded and stored in specific folders.
PD17 versions is the same way you already know.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 08. 2019 05:49

XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
Ed1234 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have submitted the question to Tech Support
Ed1234 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I got an answer back from Tech Support already - Wow thats fast!
Don't know if I can copy/paste the response body here but basically they said to simply remove the old programs as normal but did say to save "effects" to an external drive or such.
So I think I will go thru all the versions and save any Holiday/travel packs,music and sound files and copy them to an external drive.
Not sure about things like NewBlue FX ...so I will also save a copy of those files also.
Then I will delect the older versions
Hope to get time next weekend - I'll let you know if I'm crying or laughing.
Ed1234 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Could not wait for the weekend had to see if it works. LOL
Better mention all the old versions are "Director Suite" versions so have Audio,Color,and Photo Director - my latest version is "Director Suite 6"
First I backed up my laptop then
I went thru my C and D drives and copied - Shared files,New Blue files and folder,Templates and anything else I was concerned about - that was a lot of info onto an external drive.
I then went about deleting the old programs from my laptop which was not as simple as I thought - there were boxes to tick but it was pretty straight forward.
After restarting and trying "Power Director 16 - it worked - Happy Happy Joy Joy
I saw both my "WaveEditor and WaveEditor2" icons were greyed out - I tried to find the deleted info to get them working but gave up because I use "Audio Director 8" and never use "WaveEditor"
I then Tried "Color Director 6 and it worked but neither "Audio or Photo Director" would work ...just got a message saying files missing or moved. Lucky for me I found them in the recycle bin(???) and selecting restore made everthing work normally again.
I have not produced anything yet but so far everything is working good and have not used any of the copied files that I saved externally
Oh Ya just wanted to mention I freed up 22 Gigs of space

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 09. 2019 17:22