Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to:? Pixelate face in photos?
WeRunWithScissors2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 07, 2018 01:03 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
For various reasons I have had to pixelate faces to protect identities of individuals in photos. For consistency with past projects and to maintain professionalisim I DO need the faces pixelated instead of blurred or covered with a solid color or icon or emoji.

This is actually very easy to do with Motion Tracking in videos using PowerDirector. However, I have not found the way to do this in photos using PhotoDirector. I can also do this quite easily in Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop, but I am trying to stop licensing those and use Cyberlink products exclusively now. I can also do this in GIMP, but when doing this to hundreds of photos I am trying to keep the workflow inside PhotoDirector if at all possible.

Can someone please point me to how I can consistently and directly add a rectangular or oval mask over a person's face and pixelate it beyond recognition inside of PhotoDirector 10?

I am a Director Suite 365 subscriber, so am using the latest update of PhotoDirector 10. Since this is a "how to" question rather than a problem/bug discussion I will be leaving off the other detailed version info and dxdiag reports unless someone says it is needed for some other reason.

Thank you all in advance!
[Post New]
Hello WeRunWithScissors2,

I'm afraid this is one case where it would be more efficient to process multiple photos in other software before importing to PhD.

PhotoDirector doesn't have a tool that pixelates parts of an image. In the Layers module there are similar options using the Blur Tool, but these are limited to Soft Focus, Bokeh, Radial, Focal Zoom & Motion Blur. They're easy to apply, but not want you're after.

Another possibility in the Layers module is to overlay a pixelated image as a new photo layer. There are issues with this suggestion, unless the overlay size is similar to the photo size, as you can see...

In coming up with that notion, I was simply trying to find a way you could "keep the workflow inside PhotoDirector if at all possible."

Pixelated faces attached (you may recognise some).

PIX
 Filename
Pixelated.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
77 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
215 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Pix – That is clever to add a pixelated face to cover up an individual’s head.

According to this article there is an AI Style pack for PhotoDirector10 that includes mosaic, but I would not know if it would work for the needs of the OP. That should be available to the 365 subsciber. Article link is: https://www.pdnonline.com/gear/software/cyberlink-adds-tethered-shooting-ai-skills-to-photodirector-10/ .
[Post New]
Hello tomasc,

Indeed. I tried that myself, but none of the mosaic AI effects actually disguise the object. In fact, if anything, they make the lines of the face more defined.

I would think a pixelation effect wouldn't be too difficult to build into the Blur tools, which are available in Edit & Layers.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
WeRunWithScissors2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 07, 2018 01:03 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello tomasc,

Indeed. I tried that myself, but none of the mosaic AI effects actually disguise the object. In fact, if anything, they make the lines of the face more defined.

I would think a pixelation effect wouldn't be too difficult to build into the Blur tools, which are available in Edit & Layers.

PIX

Yeah, it looks like I need to add a feature request / suggestion for this. I guess for now I will use GIMP as an out-of-band editor to the photos after I do all the other work in PhotoDirector.

Thank you all for the suggestions, but they just confirmed my fear that this feature was in fact missing for now.

Thank you all!