Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to remove dust spots
[Post New]
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a solution to remove dust spots from video with PowerDirector16, similar to this one with Premiere Pro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb0HkvN9nE0

Can you help me ?

Regards
nino

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 29. 2018 10:39

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, and I can think of at least a half dozen ways to do this, so it would help a lot to know two things.

First, which level of PD16 do you have (Ultra, Ultimate, Bundle, Subscription, DS6)? The specific included effects vary with each of those products, and we'd want to use effects that you already have access to.

The other thing would be to share either a short clip (or at least a full-size screenshot or two) showing the dust spots so people can find a good solution.

If the camera moves around and gets sunlight or bright lights in view, that will likely be more challenging as the intense change in light almost certainly would mean a change in how the dust spots are masked, so try to choose a clip or screenshots that are typical for your project's needs.

If the clip is short and has a file size of no more than 3-4MB, or if you're going to share screenshots, you can use this button below the typing area when your respond:

If the clip is longer and has a bigger files size, please upload it to OneDrive, Google Drive, DropBox, etc. and paste the link in your reply.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
My PD16 came with the BorisFX Effects. Have a look at your Effects Room (F4). In the section BorisFX Image Resoration, there is the effect "BCC Dust and Scratches". Maybe that does the job. There are other effects in BorisFX, maybe the "BCC Remover"-Effect. Have a try.
Now to the harder part: the masks.
I do not know, how to apply more than only one mask to one clip.

1. So put the original clip on track. (You can deactivate track1 to see the mask.
2. Put exactly the same clip on the same position on track2.
3. Select the clip on track2, and choose the mask designer.
4. Put a round mask on your dust spot, feather it out. In mask designer, only your spot is visible, the other part of the clip now becomes transparent. If you have deactivated track1, you see only the mask content, the rest of the image is black, thats transparent.
If you have not deactivated track1, you see nothing, because track1 is visible, where track2 is transparent.
5. Now apply the effect on the clip on track2. That removes the spot.

If anybody knows, how to apply a second mask on the clip on track2, then do it. If there is no way, you have to repeat the steps from step 2, but put the clip on the next higher track, in this case, track3 and set the mask to the next spot.
You can do that as many times as you want (or spots an the clip), up to 99 tracks... Because everything outside the mask is transparent, you see the clip from the lower clip on transparent parts. If they are all transparent, you will see the clip on track1, no matter, how many tracks with masks you have.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
[Post New]
I have PD16 (16.0.3424.0) ULTRA.

I have attached a sample video (with a dust spot) at this link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LSpHHJtlzs9PFlkvSA0G3H89fwB_3H55

Thanks for all !
[Thumb - dust_spot.png]
 Filename
dust_spot.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
555 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
20 time(s)
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
One? At least three! And really big ones...
So do my recipe. Maybe it will work.

Hatti
[Thumb - vlcsnap-2018-12-29-22h55m54s329.png]
 Filename
vlcsnap-2018-12-29-22h55m54s329.png
[Disk]
 Description
Dustspots
 Filesize
1398 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
24 time(s)
Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Hatti
[Post New]
One? At least three! And really big ones...
So do my recipe. Maybe it will work.

Hatti
[Thumb - vlcsnap-2018-12-29-22h55m54s329.png]
 Filename
vlcsnap-2018-12-29-22h55m54s329.png
[Disk]
 Description
Dustspots
 Filesize
1398 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I only saw two, and I actually used the Boris Pixel Fixer effect because that lets me apply the effect to specific points, whereas Dust and Scratches covers the entire frame.

The only problem is that the effect is designed to blur out a single pixel and a few surrounding ones, so I had to use 4 removal points for the main spot and 2 for the one on the left.

Each FX allows you to set 3 different points, and so I used all of them on the effect I applied directly to the clip for the main spot. I then placed the same effect on the FX track, and used Point 1 to cover the last bit of the main spot and the remaining two to cover the left spot.

Here's what the settings look like. They're the same (maximum) in both FX and only the positions differ:

If you need to cover more spots, just add additional FX tracks by right-clicking on the left-most track area, then setting the "add" Video and Audio track numbers to "0" and changing the FX number to "1" or more, if needed:

This is what your sample clip looks like with these fixes. I think it looks pretty good!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Quote I only saw two, and I actually used the Boris Pixel Fixer effect because that lets me apply the effect to specific points, whereas Dust and Scratches covers the entire frame.

The only problem is that the effect is designed to blur out a single pixel and a few surrounding ones, so I had to use 4 removal points for the main spot and 2 for the one on the left.
. . . . .

Damn !! ... I can't find "Boris effect" in my PD16 Ultra; maybe it's not included ?
How do I install it ?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Boris is in the FX library.
If you cannot find it, you can buy it from CL site. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Damn !! ... I can't find "Boris effect" in my PD16 Ultra; maybe it's not included ?
How do I install it ?

That's correct, Ultra did not include the BorisFX Film Style + Stylize or BorisFX Lights + Image Restoration. At one time you could purchase these 3rd party plugins through CL website, at a pretty hefty price. However, in the recently "updated" sales portal I surely can't find them. I would have thought here https://www.cyberlink.com/products/add-ons/powerdirector/recommended_en_US.html with the add-ons but the 3rd party tab is missing, no NewBlue or Boris separate purchase that I can find. Have a look yourself to find or contact CL.

If you go the update route with PD17 to get the options, the chart here shows what products they are included with, https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=23375&prodId=4&prodVerId=1339&CategoryId=-1&keyword=

Jeff
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]

That's correct, Ultra did not include the BorisFX Film Style + Stylize or BorisFX Lights + Image Restoration. At one time you could purchase these 3rd party plugins through CL website, at a pretty hefty price. However, in the recently "updated" sales portal I surely can't find them. I would have thought here https://www.cyberlink.com/products/add-ons/powerdirector/recommended_en_US.html with the add-ons but the 3rd party tab is missing, no NewBlue or Boris separate purchase that I can find. Have a look yourself to find or contact CL.

If you go the update route with PD17 to get the options, the chart here shows what products they are included with, https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=23375&prodId=4&prodVerId=1339&CategoryId=-1&keyword=

Jeff
Wow, I'm surprised at this, really. Perhaps CL is wanting to push people more to the suite or top-shelf PD, or maybe planning to add or upgrade plugins?
The New Blue link goes directly to New Blue rather than the CL plugin page. Does that mean anything? I dunno. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Dead sensor pixels and dust particles have been brought up in the past. The fixes were given then but can’t find it in a search. See this article: https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/remove-unwanted-dirt-lens-footage/ . A custom mask with multiple points can be made and imported to fix multiple spots.

See the attached video. The original video is at the top. A duplicate video is in track 2. Mask Designer is used on the most obvious spot. Fx Blur is used in the duplicate video. Toggle track 2 video on/off at 7 sec. and see the spot appear/disappears.
 Filename
sample.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Fix the obvious spot on video.
 Filesize
4959 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
364 time(s)