Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Preview issues
bern0134 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 27, 2018 23:22 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I recently did the update for PD 16. When I went to start my next project, the clips played in the preview box, but when I put them in the timeline, the clips would not play and it was a blank screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I don't really understand what's happening, so more info would help a lot.

What clips are you talking about? The sample clips (like the skydiver, girl with balloons, skateboarder) or your own clips? When the clips work, are you viewing them from the media library, but they don't preview when you drag them to the timeline?

Please take a screenshot of when things are working, and another one of when they aren't. Use Alt+PrintScreen (or if you have Win10, WinKey+Shift+S) and then open Paint and paste and save each image, then attach them to your reply using this button below the typing window:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
bern0134 [Avatar]
[Post New]
the top screen shot is the when the file is viewed from media viewer. The 2nd is the view i get when i try to play the cimbined clips from the timeline. i get audio from the film clip but no picture or the image at the beginnng.
[Thumb - Preview.jpg]
 Filename
Preview.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Screen shot of the image/video clip from the media side in the previewer
 Filesize
865 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Thumb - preview2.jpg]
 Filename
preview2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
screen shot showing the blank screen when trying to play the video from the timeline
 Filesize
821 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote the top screen shot is the when the file is viewed from media viewer. The 2nd is the view i get when i try to play the cimbined clips from the timeline. i get audio from the film clip but no picture or the image at the beginnng.

There seem to be others with this same problem. Please take a look at this thread and see if the solution works for you, too.
bern0134 [Avatar]
[Post New]

There seem to be others with this same problem. Please take a look at this thread and see if the solution works for you, too.

I opened the registry but there was no "Video Renderer" available. Any more suggestions?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I opened the registry but there was no "Video Renderer" available. Any more suggestions?

The Windows registry should not be accessed if one is not comfortable with it. See the attached highlighted left and right pane for the location as a guide. It is in all versions of PD as shown. It may be time to contact Cyberlink support.
[Thumb - Registry vmr7.jpg]
 Filename
Registry vmr7.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PD17 VideoRenderer VMR7
 Filesize
301 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
As tomasc's screenshot shows, every version of PD should have that registry key. I have 3 versions installed and all have the key.

Make sure PD16 is closed, and then open regedit again and try copying and pasting this line into the top box:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\PowerDirector16

Next, click somewhere in the right pane and scroll all the way to the bottom. Double-click on the VideoRenderer key to change the setting to VMR9. Close regedit, then open PD16 and see if the clips now display properly.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jan 02. 2019 00:38

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

bern0134 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote As tomasc's screenshot shows, every version of PD should have that registry key. I have 3 versions installed and all have the key.

Make sure PD16 is closed, and then open regedit again and try copying and pasting this line into the top box:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\PowerDirector16

Next, click somewhere in the right pane and scroll all the way to the bottom. Double-click on the VideoRenderer key to change the setting to VMR9. Close regedit, then open PD16 and see if the clips now display properly.

I did as you suggested. Closed PD 16, open the registry, used the address provided, found the the "VideoRenderer" and changed to "VMR9" and no success. You would think that since this seems to be a common problem with several versions of PD, that CyberLink would have developed a fix for it by now.

I apprecicate your help
optodata
[Post New]
I'm glad you found the registry key, and I'm sorry that it didn't resolve your problem.

I'm not sure how prevelant this issue actually is, as I've been on this forum on and off for 7+ years and this is the first time I've ever noticed this issue. In fact, I just became aware of the long-ago fix a couple days ago.

Since you're still having trouble, I agree that you should contact tech support as they have more resources and the ability to remotely log on to your PC (with your permission, of course) if needed. Please copy the URL of this thread and paste it in your support request, and then reply back here with the CS ticket number here to make sure they know about all the steps you've tried so far.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 02. 2019 01:09

YouTube/optodata