Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sony Vaio PC - PowerDVD 9 no longer plays Blu Rays
strgazr04 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 26, 2018 20:11 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have a Sony Vaio desktop PC from 2012 that came with PowerDVD 9 preinstalled. I've used it for years with no issues. Now, it tells me I have to upgrade before it will play blu rays (DVDs play fine). I tried clicking through the wizard that pops up to update. It'll tell me the update was completed but then it still says the same error when I try to play the blu ray. I've tried downloading the patches off the Cyberlink site but those give me errors saying I don't have a prior version installed. Cyberlink told me to contact Sony, but I can't do that. They no longer make computers and their customer support says it's an "audio and video" service now. None of the information on their website discusses this PowerDVD 9 issue either. Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions? I really don't want to have to pay for a software I already have.
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Your only option is to buy PowerDVD. You maybe paid $1 for PowerDVD 9, which lastest you over 6 years. That's definitely getting your money's worth. Problem is Sony probably stopped paying for the free updates you were getting to play the latest BDs over those years.

Unfortunately this is the world of Blu-rays and content protection from the movie studios. We the consumer have to pay to continue watching, and we like to take out our frustrations on the middle men (Sony and CL).

Dave