Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem importing MOV files
yoavlin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 28, 2013 12:02 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone,
Whenever I try to import a MOV file I get an error message. I've tried it with different files from different sources.
After I convert the file, for example to MP4, it can be imported without a problem.
The original MOV file can be imported on a different computer I have, also with PD 16.
I run an HP laptop with windows 10 Home. PD version: 16.0.3408.0.
I've attached a screenshot of the error message and a DxDiag file.
Any help would be appreciated.
Yoav
 Filename
DxDiag12.25.2018.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
103 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
345 time(s)
[Thumb - error message.jpg]
 Filename
error message.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
121 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
You are likely missing the codec needed to use the file.
Download and install Qucktime lite.
The full Quicktime is no longer developed for Windows and has security issues so most folks are just using "lite". QT lite

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 26. 2018 19:21

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
yoavlin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 28, 2013 12:02 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You are likely missing the codec needed to use the file.
Download and install Qucktime lite.
The full Quicktime is no longer developed for Windows and has security issues so most folks are just using "lite". QT lite

Works perfectly now. Thanks!
Cyber-Rob [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2018 14:47 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
Hello to all,

one additional question to this:

I'm not having problems when importing "ordinary" .mov files.

But when it came to iPhone timelapse videos, also in .mov file format, I observed some days ago that PD seems to get into troubles when generating the shadow files. The thumbnail in the library never changes from black to any picture and later the project cannot be saved - perhaps because of the failing thumbnail generation...?

I could help myself by converting these files to .mp4 before importing into the project but it would be interesting if anyone else faced this problem and what the rootcause for this issue could be?

Thanks + BR,
Rob
Tony Ish UK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2018 05:36 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
I run PD 17 and i have problems with Apple mov files.

They seem to take a while to generate when dropped onto the time line and then about half the file / time produces a black screen.

i produce them as a m2ts file and then edit the file to remove the black screen.

luckily I do not have many IPhone files to deal with.

Rgds

Just remembered that I could not use mov files at all, someone recommended downloading QuickTime lite, this did not work so I tried a trial of a mov to MP4 app. This seem to introduce some codecs that offered the partial solution above without having to buy the software.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2019 14:29

Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
As far as I know, the Apple iPhone produces video clips with a Variable Framerate.
No video editor likes clips with variable framerate. They can never rely on the next frame. So PD16/17 also makes trouble with iPhone video clips.
The right way is to convert it to a video file with fixed frame rate, so you chose the right way.
You should not pay for a converter unless you want to. The most recommended converter here is Handbrake. It's free and it's really good. I like FFMpeg (but it's a command line utility) oder vidcoder or shana encoder, etc...

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Tony Ish UK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2018 05:36 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the advice ref Handbrake, I have taken a quick trial and it seems to everything I need

rgds