Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Subtitles/Performance - Major Slow Down in PD17 Regarding Subtitles
Psalm91 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 29, 2009 22:43 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
I've used PD for years now and going up to 17 (latest patch: 2314.1) has shown a large decrease in performance while opening a project with a lot of subtitles.

The performance degredation hapens when:

• Opening the project

• Editing video.

• Applying any subtitle attributes to all subtitles (center, font type/size, italics, etc...)

• Switching from any of the project windows (Media Room, Effect Room, Overlay, Etc...) to the Subtitle window.

The first item (opening the project) has gone from ~20-25s to ~120s. The last item (switching windows) has gone from ~11s to ~90s. Editing can be really painful.

I hoped that after getting my newest computer (it's a beast) that the issue would be substantially reduced, even if it was a software issue, but nope, still having issues. The CPU, GPU, Memory are all low while the app is hanging waiting for the subtitle processing to complete.

The latest project I'm working on has ~1800 subtitles. That seems like a lot, but, this hasn't been a problem with previous versions as much...it's much more pronounced now.

To ensure this was indeed the issue, I removed all subtitles from my latest project. After that, everything was lightning fast. I then added all the subtitles back in and all the problems came back.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on a work-around for this issue, I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks,
Chuck
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You didn't include the DxDiag test results that are requested in the Read Me Before Posting guidlines, so here's a curveball for you: Are you by any chance running an Insider build of Windows?

The last couple versions (18284 and 18290) drastically slowed my system down when working with even simple titles in PD17. So much so that I'm doing a full reinstall of Windows 1809/RS5/FallCreator's Update because I can't roll back from this many builds away and I can't work with PD being this slow.

I did a quick test on this machine and the insider builds are definitely the cause of my editing pain.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Psalm91 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You didn't include the DxDiag test results that are requested in the Read Me Before Posting guidlines, so here's a curveball for you: Are you by any chance running an Insider build of Windows?

The last couple versions (18284 and 18290) drastically slowed my system down when working with even simple titles in PD17. So much so that I'm doing a full reinstall of Windows 1809/RS5/FallCreator's Update because I can't roll back from this many builds away and I can't work with PD being this slow.

I did a quick test on this machine and the insider builds are definitely the cause of my editing pain.

Hey optodata!

Actually, I have Win 10, build 1803 on both my older and newer computer.

I decided to load up the same project in both PD16 & 17 (on my older computer) and re-run all tests and compare to get accurate numbers besides going from averages (and memory). Normally I work with files that contain ~1200 captions, so the times for these set of test are different than my "average/normal", I suspect, because of the increase in the amount of subtitles.

Still, there is a noticeable difference in times (same computer, same project, same actions, different PD versions).

PD17:
- Opening Project: 123s
- Switching to Subtitle Room from Media Room: 89s
- Applying different font-size to all subtitles: 12m20s

PD16:
- Opening Project: 65s
- Switching to Subtitle Room from Media Room: 48s
- Applying different font-size to all subtitles: 9m28s

In addition to the times, I noticed the subtitles, when first imported, and in a totally different font and font-size.

I would think this test would conclude that the problem is a change in the way the software handles the subtitle processing.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Chuck

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 09. 2018 16:37

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It looks like you've done some nice comparison work. I don't have PD16 any longer so I can't compare the subtitle performance on my end. I think you have enough specifics to open a support ticket with Cyberlink Customer Service, and this page lists the steps.

Be sure to copy the URL of this thread and paste it in your request so they can see the details. It may help to post the CS # here for confirmation. Note that it may take a couple of days to get a response, and you will need to follow up that with a response of your own before any real action will occur.

Good luck!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Psalm91 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It looks like you've done some nice comparison work. I don't have PD16 any longer so I can't compare the subtitle performance on my end. I think you have enough specifics to open a support ticket with Cyberlink Customer Service, and this page lists the steps.

Be sure to copy the URL of this thread and paste it in your request so they can see the details. It may help to post the CS # here for confirmation. Note that it may take a couple of days to get a response, and you will need to follow up that with a response of your own before any real action will occur.

Good luck!

Thanks optodata, I appreciate your input. I'll go the Support route
Chuck
Paul1945
Contributor Location: South Africa Joined: Apr 12, 2014 14:11 Messages: 327 Offline
[Post New]

Chuck

Hi Guys
I appreciate also 100 % the same Problem Pauls PC
X399 AORUS Extreme/AMD Ryzen2970WX/1xQuatro 4000 Driver:Geforce 419.67Skill V DDR4 64GB/3200MHz/Win10 prox64
Intel SSD 750/400 / Intel SSD 750/1.2Tb 1x4TB SSHD /1xSeagate 10TB pro
1xSamsung UA28D590 4k LUMIX GH5 1xLG HDR
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Chuck

Can you post the Ticket No. here please and then we can follow it up?

Thanks
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Psalm91 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Can you post the Ticket No. here please and then we can follow it up?

Thanks
PowerDirector Moderator

You bet!

Ticket ID: CS001964536

Thanks,
Chuck
Paul999 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2019 10:10 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
I also have this problem, though at the same time I wonder what's the use of me posting this here since PD seems completely out of touch with their actual users and they don't seem to care about any such issues, nor to reply to support request in an actual human as opposed to corperate suit voice way...