Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Error shows when I import a .mov file
mrloowee123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 28, 2017 18:24 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I wonder why I get an error (see attached) when I upload a particular .mov file.

Thanks
[Thumb - error.jpg]
 Filename
error.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It looks like it's in a format that's either not supported by PD or that you don't have the proper codec installed on your machine for.

Can you upload the sample clip to Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox etc and post the link to it here? That way someone can examine it in detail and figure out what's going on.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
mrloowee123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It looks like it's in a format that's either not supported by PD or that you don't have the proper codec installed on your machine for.

Can you upload the sample clip to Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox etc and post the link to it here? That way someone can examine it in detail and figure out what's going on.

Hi Optodata, thanks for the response. I've uploaded the .mov file to dropbox, here is the link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l44vdbmoezvmphw/Full%2BLogo.mov?dl=0

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks very much for sharing the clip! First off, I'm able to open and work with it in PD without any issues:

However, I noticed that the file size is very large for a 9 second clip, and the bit rate is 50Mb/s, which is waaayyy more than a simple clip like this needs.

As a comparison, I work with AVC/H.264 60p clips that run at 28Mb per second. Yours is only 30 frames per second (30p) so about 15Mbps is all you'd need for fully detailed HD, but this clip was produced at 4x that bitrate. I'm wondering if that high bit rate what's causing the issue on your computer.

I produced your clip to MP4 and it only required 2Mbps for full quality. In fact, the file size is so small that I can attach it here. It's <2MB in size, while your original clip is 55MB (27 times larger!) PD should definitely be able to use this clip.

I used a 3rd party converter to re-encode your .mov clip to 4Mbps, and the file size came down to 4MB. I've placed it on OneDrive for you, so try downloading that and see if PD will open it.

Let us know how it goes!
 Filename
Full+Logo.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
MP4 2Mbps version
 Filesize
1963 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
215 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi mrloowee123 -

Your .MOV video is an alpha channel video using the QuickTime RLE codec.

Do you have QuickTime installed on your PC? or perhaps QuickTime Lite? If not, that may be the problem.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
They all work here. The mp4 can be chroma keyed to reveal transparency underneath the lower third company logo.
mrloowee123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi mrloowee123 -

Your .MOV video is an alpha channel video using the QuickTime RLE codec.

Do you have QuickTime installed on your PC? or perhaps QuickTime Lite? If not, that may be the problem.

Cheers - Tony

Thank you, I was able to import it to PD after I install Quicktime. Thanks again.
mrloowee123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks very much for sharing the clip! First off, I'm able to open and work with it in PD without any issues:

However, I noticed that the file size is very large for a 9 second clip, and the bit rate is 50Mb/s, which is waaayyy more than a simple clip like this needs.

As a comparison, I work with AVC/H.264 60p clips that run at 28Mb per second. Yours is only 30 frames per second (30p) so about 15Mbps is all you'd need for fully detailed HD, but this clip was produced at 4x that bitrate. I'm wondering if that high bit rate what's causing the issue on your computer.

I produced your clip to MP4 and it only required 2Mbps for full quality. In fact, the file size is so small that I can attach it here. It's <2MB in size, while your original clip is 55MB (27 times larger!) PD should definitely be able to use this clip.

I used a 3rd party converter to re-encode your .mov clip to 4Mbps, and the file size came down to 4MB. I've placed it on OneDrive for you, so try downloading that and see if PD will open it.

Let us know how it goes!

Thank you for your response, I gained additional knowledge with your response.