Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How can I open previous projects made in PowerDirector 16 (at work) in PD 15 on home computer
[Post New]
I have made 25 projects for work on their computer which has PD 16. The computer has broken down and I need to burn the projects (which gratefully I saved on a Hard Drive!)

My laptop has PD 15. When I go to open the project a pop up states that it is not supported by this version.

If I upgrade to PD 16, will I be able to open any of my home projects made with the PD 15?

Of course the deadline for these projects to be burnt and handed out is Friday...

Appreciate any help!!
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
It depends on how you saved your projects. PDR project files (.pds) simply contain a set of instructions for PDR to follow such as what files, where they are, what to do with them, what effects to use etc.etc. If you have the instructions i.e. the .pds and not the files it won't work.

PDR has an option to "Pack Project" and if you used this then you have everything you need in one place and can work with just that once you have installed PDR16 (PDR15 won't 'understand' the PDR16 projects).

If you have the .pds and all the assets (the video, images, audio files & any special tansitions etc.) then you can still open the project and PDR will first tell you, one by one about the assets it cannot find. In each case you can then 'tell' PDR where the assets are and once that is completed the project should work as before on the new computer.
[Post New]
Quote It depends on how you saved your projects. PDR project files (.pds) simply contain a set of instructions for PDR to follow such as what files, where they are, what to do with them, what effects to use etc.etc. If you have the instructions i.e. the .pds and not the files it won't work.

PDR has an option to "Pack Project" and if you used this then you have everything you need in one place and can work with just that once you have installed PDR16 (PDR15 won't 'understand' the PDR16 projects).

If you have the .pds and all the assets (the video, images, audio files & any special tansitions etc.) then you can still open the project and PDR will first tell you, one by one about the assets it cannot find. In each case you can then 'tell' PDR where the assets are and once that is completed the project should work as before on the new computer.

Thank you for your very timely repy!

If I go and "Pack" all of my projects on my PD15, then upgrade to PD16, then I will be able to open them but not change or burn any other copies of them? Or is it just to enable it to understand a different set of instructons to open in another PD version?

I do have all of the files etc.

I appreciate your patience as well as your help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 05. 2018 05:46

Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
The scenario that you described as I understand it is projects done on one computer in PDR16 being moved to a computer currently with PDR15 but about to be upgraded to PDR16. Once PDR16 is installed on the second computer it should be possible to open projects done on that computer in PDR15 without any need to do anything else.
[Post New]
Quote The scenario that you described as I understand it is projects done on one computer in PDR16 being moved to a computer currently with PDR15 but about to be upgraded to PDR16. Once PDR16 is installed on the second computer it should be possible to open projects done on that computer in PDR15 without any need to do anything else.

Thanks very much. I have been "Packing" my projects and will then upgrade. Appreciate your help.