Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 17 won't start after exiting
Bill Dewey [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Washington State Joined: Nov 24, 2018 10:41 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I am new to PowerDirector, as well as to video editing, this may simply be an issue of my doing something wrong or having a setting I have not set. I am running Windows 10 on an i7 with 16GB Ram. I have checked to be sure that I am not running out of memory, my other photo editing software opens and closes as expected. A Reboot, so far, has resolved the problem, but it is a big pain to do. The problem does not happen everytime I exit, maybe 30% of the time. I have been doing fairly simple processes to cut segments out of longer video files using Precut, producing MP4 files, and that seems to be working fine, when it does. One other annoying thing is that I often no longer see the graph on the Audio timeline, although changes do work.

Thought, ideas? It almost seems like some setting issue.

Thanks for any assistance you can render. I have been searching the 'Net and have not found anything specific other than "try to reinstall".
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
In the past the reason for this problem was that PDR had not closed down fully. Next time iot happens check your Windows Task Manager to see if in fact PowerDirector is still there when in fact you thought you had closed it. If so then end the task and try again.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bill

You certainly aren't doing anything wrong, and there aren't any settings that I can think of that would cause PD to not close properly.

For situations like this, a reboot is ALWAYS the best option as there is no chance that any of PD's supporting apps could still be running, and it's PD's detection of those already-running apps that prevents it from launching in the first place.

As Longedge mentioned, you can also open up Windows Task Manager and try to close all of the running files manually. In addition to PowerDirector 17 (PDR.exe), you will also need to close PDHanumanSvr Application (PDHanumanSvr.exe) and PDStyleAgent (PDStyleAgent.exe). You may find that this method is easier/quicker than rebooting.

EDIT: If PD still won't start, you will also have to close RichVideo Module (RichVideo64.exe) and its related component Cyberlink RichVideo64 Service(CRVS).

Also, there is now a workaround for the audio waveforms not appearing, and you'll simply need to do the 3 steps listed in this post whenever you have a project that doesn't display the waveforms. It will behave properly afterwards!

The other thing to look into is why PD isn't properly closing in the first place. You can certainly try to reinstall PD17, or even uninstall it reboot and then reinstall it. You should defintely make a system backup first, just in case something goes wrong.

It would also help if you could review the Read Me thread at the top of the PD17 forum, then attach the DxDiag test results and post your exact PD17 version number. Those are crucial in figuring out if there's anything amiss with your computer that might be related to PD's exit behavior.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 26. 2018 12:28

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Bill Dewey [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Washington State Joined: Nov 24, 2018 10:41 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you very much. This was the first thing I tried to do. I did see at least 1 PowerDirector related thing running, but as I see from the reply from optodata, I think I missed another couple.

It is good to know I was at least headed in the right direction.

Thanks again!

Quote In the past the reason for this problem was that PDR had not closed down fully. Next time iot happens check your Windows Task Manager to see if in fact PowerDirector is still there when in fact you thought you had closed it. If so then end the task and try again.
Bill Dewey [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the very detailed reply. As I noted to Longedge, I was on the right trace, I think, but I know that I did not specifically shut down the PD processes that were running.

I appreciate the "gentle nudge to the newbie" to RTFM, regarding DxDiag.

I will read the posts, and follow the directions, should the issue persist.

Now, if I could just figure out how to get the Color Match to work the way I need it, ah, that's a question for tomorrow.

Quote Hi Bill

You certainly aren't doing anything wrong, and there aren't any settings that I can think of that would cause PD to not close properly.

For situations like this, a reboot is ALWAYS the best option as there is no chance that any of PD's supporting apps could still be running, and it's PD's detection of those already-running apps that prevents it from launching in the first place.

As Longedge mentioned, you can also open up Windows Task Manager and try to close all of the running files manually. In addition to PowerDirector 17 (PDR.exe), you will also need to close PDHanumanSvr Application (PDHanumanSvr.exe) and PDStyleAgent (PDStyleAgent.exe). You may find that this method is easier/quicker than rebooting.

Also, there is now a workaround for the audio waveforms not appearing, and you'll simply need to do the 3 steps listed in this post whenever you have a project that doesn't display the waveforms. It will behave properly afterwards!

The other thing to look into is why PD isn't properly closing in the first place. You can certainly try to reinstall PD17, or even uninstall it reboot and then reinstall it. You should defintely make a system backup first, just in case something goes wrong.

It would also help if you could review the Read Me thread at the top of the PD17 forum, then attach the DxDiag test results and post your exact PD17 version number. Those are crucial in figuring out if there's anything amiss with your computer that might be related to PD's exit behavior.
PatsyP [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 06, 2015 13:17 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I was having the same exact problem in PD 19, so annoying! But I closed the first two PD prosesses as instructed by optodata, and it opened right up. Great solution! Any way to not have to do that oe step? I so lazy.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
When you close PD normally, those processes should automatically stop within a few seconds, and you should be able to launch PD again. If you wait a couple more seconds and still can't launch it, then you'll have to reboot or close those processes.

If PD crashes, it's more likely that one or more processes will keep running and running and you'll have to take those extra steps.
JimQuirk [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 16, 2021 21:37 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Bill

EDIT: If PD still won't start, you will also have to close RichVideo Module (RichVideo64.exe) and its related component Cyberlink RichVideo64 Service(CRVS).

Thanks a lot for this information. Shuttting down all the running programs works great.