Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Full crash when editing Title text from the timeline
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Can anyone else repeat the issue shown in this 40 sec video?

It only seems to happen when a special effect is applied to the title, and turning HW Aceleration on or off has no impact. Editing text in the Title Designer is also not affected.

Usually it takes several keystrokes to cause the error, but not more than 10. Del and Back seem to be more likely to cause the crash, but I've seen it when typing a new character as well.

I stopped filling out the crash recorder after the first 8 times, and I'll fill out a formal request for Tech Support if someone else can confirm the issue.

Thanks!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The issue has been duplicated on my system. Tried each of the 3 special effects and 3 different titles including one created by Godfrey. Found that clicking in the text in the preview window and then hitting the Backspace or the Delete key causes an instant Opps!... screen. I restart PD each time to continue testing the other 3 titles and the 3 special effects with the same result.

My last test was to open PD, start the pluggin Screen Recorder, do the same, Opps!.. happen. Closed the Opps!... window and stopped the Screen recorder. PD started up by itself with the mp4 screen recorder file in the Media room library. This means that PD crashed but recovered this time when the screen recorder was used. See the attached highlighted screenshot.

My YouTube Oct. video use the fire effect in the last title at the end with no problem. I have never edited text on the preview screen before. Always used the title designer to edit text so this bug was always there and did not happen because it was all done with title designer.
[Thumb - SR_TE_Crash.jpg]
 Filename
SR_TE_Crash.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PD17 crashed but recovered after closing the Screen Recorder.
 Filesize
297 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
35 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks tomasc!

I usually use the Title Designer too, but I had only 3 characters in the title when I discovered the issue and it seemed quicker to change them from the timeline rather than opening up TD.

I knew from previous experience that timeline editing is dreadfully slow - taking 2-3 seconds to redraw each time a character changed (an eternity if you tried to change a long word). Maybe it would be better to simply disable title editing from the timeline if they aren't able to fix this crash and also have it respond at least 10x faster.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
You can’t do timeline text editing on the preview screen anyway on my usual titles when there is a starting effect. You can only edit title text on the preview screen that does not have a staring effect. That is what I found many years ago. Hopefully Cyberlink support will report and escalate the issue to get it fixed.
optodata
[Post New]
Hmm. I can edit text from the timeline on titles with starting effects, ending effects, starting and ending effects, and with no effects.

If the starting effect has the text offscreen (like rollercoaster does), clicking on the title brings the text into its final position so it can be edited, and it will jump back to the effect position if I preview it.

It looks like Cyberlink fixed that issue at some point. Do you still see it on your computer with PD17?

YouTube/optodata

optodata
[Post New]
The ticket # is CS001957789

YouTube/optodata

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Loaded the titles with starting effects and edited the text properly on the preview screen of PD17 as you have stated. I guess that we can do that from now on. This may be something experienced from working with one of the earlier version years ago.

Found a workaround for the text crashing problem. Load the Default title. Move that cursor away from the left boundary of the title to the right anywhere in the title. Click in the text of the preview screen. Type all you want. Use the Delete and Backspace keys. Continue typing and using the backspace and delete keys as needed. There will be no crashing. Earlier crashes happen only when the cursor (scrubber) is at the left edge of the title.

I know that this is a bug that still need to be fixed.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Loaded the titles with starting effects and edited the text properly on the preview screen of PD17 as you have stated. I guess that we can do that from now on. This may be something experienced from working with one of the earlier version years ago.
Glad that seems to have gotten fixed!

Quote Found a workaround for the text crashing problem. Load the Default title. Move that cursor away from the left boundary of the title to the right anywhere in the title. Click in the text of the preview screen. Type all you want. Use the Delete and Backspace keys. Continue typing and using the backspace and delete keys as needed. There will be no crashing. Earlier crashes happen only when the cursor (scrubber) is at the left edge of the title.

I know that this is a bug that still need to be fixed.

Unfortunately, the workaround doesn't work for me.

Only a couple of the crashes I saw and recorded happened when the text cursor was at the left edge (or even on the left side) of the text. I had some crashes when I was typing letters, but mostly they seemed to happen with backspace when the cursor was away from the left edge.

Here's a "greatest hits" clip of 5 non-left-edge crashes (all backspace):

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 24. 2018 02:51

YouTube/optodata

optodata
[Post New]
I've started working with tech support and I've done some more testing with v2314 and nVidia 416.94 installed.

The issue is still present, but I could not cause a crash if the title special effect was Fire or LED Sign. However, PD crashed every time I edited title text from the timeline with the Lights, Lightning, Neon Sign or Electric Wave special effect applied.

YouTube/optodata