Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
16:9 masks
[Post New]
In the mask designer, all of the masks seem to have a 4:3 aspect ratio so they don't mask the left and right edges of the frame. Are there 16:9 masks anywhere or do I need to make custom 16:9 ones?

Thanks, Jim
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That's an interesting observation! I've used masks for years and hadn't even thought about the aspect ratio.

It turns out that the masks for a 16:9 project actually are 16:9, but the Width (horizontal) scale is set to 75%. Take a look at the default setup:

The good news is that you don't need to "create' any new masks, just uncheck the Maintain mask aspect ratio box and move the Width slider to 1.0, like this:

If you want to resize the mask but keep the 16:9 aspect ratio, simply recheck the Maintain box and resize away! cool

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 19. 2018 12:13

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Quote That's an interesting observation! I've used masks for years and hadn't even thought about the aspect ratio.

It turns out that the masks for a 16:9 project actually are 16:9, but the Width (horizontal) scale is set to 75%. Take a look at the default setup:

The good news is that you don't need to "create' any new masks, just uncheck the Maintain mask aspect ratio box and move the Width slider to 1.0, like this:

If you want to resize the mask but keep the 16:9 aspect ratio, simply recheck the Maintain box and resize away! cool

Thanks.

I tried setting the width to 1, but it distorted the circle in the mask I wanted to use, into an ellipse.
If I resize the mask the circle gets bigger and smaller with the mask. I wanted the circle to just fit in the height of the screen.

No matter...I will create a mask in Paint!

Jim
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jim -

About a million years ago, before PDR made it so easy to create your own masks, we made a heap of masks for a PDtoots Giveaway.

They're all formatted as 16:9 masks & may be useful to you. There's a 16:9 circle there too.

With PDR now being set up to import images to create masks, it becomes a bit irrelevant... but it might save you a bit of work. You can either import the masks you want (not the images tagged with "Thumb") or drop the masks & thumbs you want to use into C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector17\Masks

PDToots masks

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!