Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem - No thumbnails in library/timeline for HVEC H265
elpatre13 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 17, 2018 02:50 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Using latest version of PD17
- Importing .mov (HVEC / H265) files from iPhone 8 video into library
- Library thumbnails all appear black, using shadow tn also doesn't help, tn are still black
- When dragged into timeline video will show in preview window / can be edited fine
- Clip in Timeline not showing thumbnail either, just black
- tried re-importing / deleting temp files etc already. Files always appear in library / timeline without thumbnail
[Thumb - PD17_screenshot.png]
 Filename
PD17_screenshot.png
[Disk]
 Description
Screenshot of Problem in PD17
 Filesize
736 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
21 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 21. 2018 23:14

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That's an interesting one, and thanks very much for the screenshot!

Maybe another member will know what's going on right off the bat, but it would definitely help if you could review the Read Me post at the top of the PD17 forum index and post the DxDiag test results and the actual PD17 version. "Latest version" doesn't tell us if you're on 2126 or 2224, and so far, we don't have any idea about your hardware or what video drivers and codecs are installed on your system. Those are likely critical here, and posting what's requested in the Read Me thread will help us volunteers get right to what's causing the problem.

Ideally, if you could upload a sample file to a cloud service like OneDrive, DropBox, Google Drive and post the link here, other members could get the exact media details and quickly try it out on their systems.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
I notice that I don't get thumbnails in Kodi/OpenElec when I encode video to h.265. (I get green thumbs instead.)

I thought that was just a function of h.265, with it's higher compression. But if PD can display the thumbs, then I guess it's not a limitation in h.265.

Maybe it's a function of how they're encoded? I use my GTX960. Maybe the HW encoder doesn't do thumbs.
UmmOkayGuy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 18, 2018 04:41 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I notice that I don't get thumbnails in Kodi/OpenElec when I encode video to h.265. (I get green thumbs instead.)

I thought that was just a function of h.265, with it's higher compression. But if PD can display the thumbs, then I guess it's not a limitation in h.265.

Maybe it's a function of how they're encoded? I use my GTX960. Maybe the HW encoder doesn't do thumbs.

Thumbnails is just the software taking a frame out of the video and displaying it as an indicator of what clips are in the bin.

This is like your image browser not displaying thumbnails for animated GIF files.

Whether you're using HW or Software Decoders, it is the same. If the software can play the video files, then clearly the HW decoder is working ;
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
According to the specs the iphone 7 can record HDR videos. There may also be an effect setting to fade from black when recording. I have noticed that my RocketStock.com ProRes 4k Effects mov file displays the first frames which is black (transparent). The thumbnail display in black also in windows explorer but play properly with the right viewer. See the attached for transparent thumbnails in ProRes 4k 444 files. Most other video file types do not display the first frames but a thumbnail several seconds into the video. Only mov files displays the first frames on my pc.
[Thumb - ProRes Effects.jpg]
 Filename
ProRes Effects.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Beginning appears black in this black thm mov video.
 Filesize
379 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi elpatre13 -

This screenshot shows clips from iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus in PDR17's Media Library - thumbnails & all. The first two in each group are HEVC H.265. I get the same thing if I enable shadow files.

pmikep - this screenshot shows an iPhone 8 HEVC clip in Kodi - thumbnail & all. Kodi displays thumbnails for HEVC H.265 videos produced in PDR17 too.

Here, at least.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
elpatre13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote That's an interesting one, and thanks very much for the screenshot!

Maybe another member will know what's going on right off the bat, but it would definitely help if you could review the Read Me post at the top of the PD17 forum index and post the DxDiag test results and the actual PD17 version. "Latest version" doesn't tell us if you're on 2126 or 2224, and so far, we don't have any idea about your hardware or what video drivers and codecs are installed on your system. Those are likely critical here, and posting what's requested in the Read Me thread will help us volunteers get right to what's causing the problem.

Ideally, if you could upload a sample file to a cloud service like OneDrive, DropBox, Google Drive and post the link here, other members could get the exact media details and quickly try it out on their systems.

Here you go. Also.

1. I am using the latest driver, for my GPU (NVIDIA Geforce GTX1060 3GB) - 416.94 (https://www.geforce.com/drivers)
2. I am running PowerDirector 17.0.2126.0 (i tried running as admin, doesnt work either)
3. See DxDiag.txt attached
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
72 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
337 time(s)
elpatre13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi elpatre13 -

This screenshot shows clips from iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus in PDR17's Media Library - thumbnails & all. The first two in each group are HEVC H.265. I get the same thing if I enable shadow files.

pmikep - this screenshot shows an iPhone 8 HEVC clip in Kodi - thumbnail & all. Kodi displays thumbnails for HEVC H.265 videos produced in PDR17 too.

Here, at least.

Cheers - Tony

Still doesnt work for me. Its so frustrating.

1. I am using the latest driver, for my GPU (NVIDIA Geforce GTX1060 3GB) - 416.94 (https://www.geforce.com/drivers)
2. I am running PowerDirector 17.0.2126.0 (i tried running as admin, doesnt work either)
3. See DxDiag.txt attached
4. I am running Windoes 10 Pro
5. When i look at the clips in windows explorer, all of them produce a thumbnail perfectly fine (see attachment)
[Thumb - windows_explorer_tn.png]
 Filename
windows_explorer_tn.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
405 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
72 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
533 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the DxDiag. Also, you don't need to reply to each post individually!

The subscription version of PD17 will not allow you to use hardware acceleration with any nVidia 416.xx version drivers until Cyberlink releases an update. To restore GPU usability, roll back (or download and reinstall) the nVidia v411.70 driver.

If you've got the stand-alone version of PD17 (the one that doesn't need the AppManager to install), you can download and install the beta 2224 patch from the post at the top of the PD17 forum to use your GTX1060 again.

As an alternative, try unchecking the Enable OpenCL and Enable hardware decoding options from the Preferences | Hardware Acceleration (gear icon) menu and see if that helps. You may need to close and relaunch PD to see the change.

In the past, it often helped to install Quicktime for Windows to get .mov clips to work properly. Close PD and download QT4W from here. When you install the program, choose Custom and uncheck everything except QuickTime Essentials, then launch PD. You can uninstall it if it doesn't change anything.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

elpatre13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
If you've got the stand-alone version of PD17 (the one that doesn't need the AppManager to install), you can download and install the beta 2224 patch from the post at the top of the PD17 forum to use your GTX1060 again.

-Didn't work, installed the patch, as I am using the stand alone version, but same problem prevails, even though i am not using the subscription version, any point trying to roll back my graphiocs driver to the version mentioned by you?

As an alternative, try unchecking the Enable OpenCL and Enable hardware decoding options from the Preferences | Hardware Acceleration (gear icon) menu and see if that helps. You may need to close and relaunch PD to see the change.

-Didn't work, enabled, restarted, rebooted, and played around more with the options, same issue

In the past, it often helped to install Quicktime for Windows to get .mov clips to work properly. Close PD and download QT4W from here. When you install the program, choose Custom and uncheck everything except QuickTime Essentials, then launch PD. You can uninstall it if it doesn't change anything.

-Quicktime is already on my system, however, removed, reinstalled, same issue, nothing seems to fix my black thumbnails

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 21. 2018 18:40

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
In the original screenshot each of the six clips on the timeline are about 3 to 6 seconds long. The cursor is at 4 sec. 22 frames instead of being at the start of the clips. This leads one to believe that possibly each of the clips start with a black frame. Is it possible to put the cursor at the 0.00 home position with the enable continuous thumbnail checked in Preferences and go to View entire movie to expand the timeline ruler. Please attach another screenshot.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote -Didn't work, installed the patch, as I am using the stand alone version, but same problem prevails, even though i am not using the subscription version, any point trying to roll back my graphiocs driver to the version mentioned by you?
... nothing seems to fix my black thumbnails

I don't think rolling back will solve this particular issue, but it may be worth a try as you can certainly reinstall it or update to a newer 416.xx driver later.

I think tomasc may be on to something with the leading black frame. I've seen that once or twice with MagicYUV clips, and like in your case, it's only the thumbnail that's missing. The clip plays and produces fine.

One somewhat more out-of-the-box thought is to try the 3 steps in this workaround (starting right after the menu graphic) when audio waveforms don't get generated. That may be completely unrelated to thumbnails, or maybe not...

I'm eager to see screenshots and hear if tomasc's idea or these steps make any difference.

YouTube/optodata

elpatre13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote In the original screenshot each of the six clips on the timeline are about 3 to 6 seconds long. The cursor is at 4 sec. 22 frames instead of being at the start of the clips. This leads one to believe that possibly each of the clips start with a black frame. Is it possible to put the cursor at the 0.00 home position with the enable continuous thumbnail checked in Preferences and go to View entire movie to expand the timeline ruler. Please attach another screenshot.

Unfortunately no. None of my clips starts with a black frame. I tried some older HVEC / H265 clips in PD that i previously edited fine on FCPX on my Mac, and they come up with the same issue too. I also imported the same clips from this post in FCPX and again, they come up perfectly fine, including thumbnails both in library and timeline.

In case you are wondering, my Mac is in it's last breaths and cant do much more than bootup and down anymore, hence I am moving to my desktop PC for editing. Unfortunately it hasn't gone well so far.

I am currently not at home so can't attach a screenshot, but if you doubt me i am happy to provide later.

So far,
- Latest Drivers all installed, no issues with GPU, etc[/list]
- Latest Patches for app installed, incl beta patch[/list]
- Quicktime, Direct X latest version installed[/list]
- En / Disabled PD internal Hardware acceleration options (incl Shadowing)[/list]
- Windows 10 latest updates all installed[/list]
- Clips show thumbnails in Windows Explorer[/list]
- Clips are fine (not damaged), dont start with Black Frame[/list]
- Clips work fine in FCPX on Mac, incl all Thumbnails[/list]

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 21. 2018 22:31

optodata
[Post New]
You've certainly put some real effort into this, and I'm sorry we haven't been able to get you going yet. It's definitely not a "PD issue," because the rest of us get thumbnails with iPhone 8 H265 clips like this:

The one thing you haven't done is to upload one of your clips to any cloud sharing service and post a link here. That would let other people take a close look and see if there might be anything unusual going on.

It would also help if you downloaded and tried this same clip I have in my project screenshot. It's from longtime forum member Barry the Crab's website.

If none of these work, it's time to get Cyberlink Tech Support involved as they have more resources and capabilities then us end user volunteers do.

YouTube/optodata

elpatre13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The one thing you haven't done is to upload one of your clips to any cloud sharing service and post a link here. That would let other people take a close look and see if there might be anything unusual going on.

It would also help if you downloaded and tried this same clip I have in my project screenshot. It's from longtime forum member Barry the Crab's website.

will do that tonight and post an update!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 22. 2018 00:04

[Post New]
I'm using iPhone 8 Plus, and my HEVC works fine...
I suggest you to delete the media cache from registry editor then import again to re-generate thumbnails, maybe it will help.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\PowerDirector17\MediaObj\MediaCache5\
[Thumb - 8+.png]
 Filename
8+.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
741 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365