Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
ColorDirector4 Preview Video Weird Color
Pauly G [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 08, 2017 10:34 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Looking for some help, as soon as I import my video to ColorDirector4 it never shows the original color. it keeps showing me these yellows. I havnt touched any grading and I cant compare my original.
Anyone have any clues.
[Thumb - ColorDirector4.JPG]
 Filename
ColorDirector4.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
In ColorDirctor4
 Filesize
220 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
13 time(s)
[Thumb - Capture.JPG]
 Filename
Capture.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Original
 Filesize
84 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Looking for some help, as soon as I import my video to ColorDirector4 it never shows the original color. it keeps showing me these yellows. I havnt touched any grading and I cant compare my original.
Anyone have any clues.

You might try the "Adjustment" tab, then the "Manual" tab, at the bottom is a "Reset" button. CD4 at one time was loading with a preset color template that would do that.

Jeff
Pauly G [Avatar]
[Post New]

You might try the "Adjustment" tab, then the "Manual" tab, at the bottom is a "Reset" button. CD4 at one time was loading with a preset color template that would do that.

Jeff

Thanks for that Jeff
Unfortunately it didn't work. I'm thinking is it because it wasnt RAW footage, it was Cinelike D.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks for that Jeff
Unfortunately it didn't work. I'm thinking is it because it wasnt RAW footage, it was Cinelike D.

Very possible, I downloaded a sample D-Cinelike from this guy https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/21641-dji-mavic-pro-footage-sample-all-color-mod-d-log-cinelikeetc/ and it appeared ok. This was a MOV (Quicktime) vs your mp4 though. If you can, upload a sample to a shared drive one could validate CD4 behaviour and maybe see if a new version of CD, now up to CD7 fairs any better.

Jeff
Pauly G [Avatar]
[Post New]

Very possible, I downloaded a sample D-Cinelike from this guy https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/21641-dji-mavic-pro-footage-sample-all-color-mod-d-log-cinelikeetc/ and it appeared ok. This was a MOV (Quicktime) vs your mp4 though. If you can, upload a sample to a shared drive one could validate CD4 behaviour and maybe see if a new version of CD, now up to CD7 fairs any better.

Jeff

I literally just tried CD7. But still same. When I hover over presets it changes properly in the tiny preview box above the prsests but the main big preview is still yellowish.
Could it be my pc?
Pauly G [Avatar]
[Post New]

I literally just tried CD7. But still same. When I hover over presets it changes properly in the tiny preview box above the prsests but the main big preview is still yellowish.
Could it be my pc?

I've worked it out. For some reason .mov the preview window is same color but .mp4 it is yellowish.
Wonder why.
Thanks for your help.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I've worked it out. For some reason .mov the preview window is same color but .mp4 it is yellowish.
Wonder why.
Thanks for your help.

Well worth uploading a sample to a shared drive and posting here if you want a chance of it being resolved. CD forum moderator is pretty good at passing validated observations on to CL for possible resolution or you can take a ticket out with CL support too.

The wonder why, it may be related to different video coding formats between the mp4 container and the mov.

Jeff
Pauly G [Avatar]
[Post New]

Well worth uploading a sample to a shared drive and posting here if you want a chance of it being resolved. CD forum moderator is pretty good at passing validated observations on to CL for possible resolution or you can take a ticket out with CL support too.

The wonder why, it may be related to different video coding formats between the mp4 container and the mov.

Jeff

Noooooo
I tried another clip before those samples you posted, and nope, didn't work either, still yellow.
Back to the drawing board.
[Post New]
Hello Pauly G,

Welcome to the CDR forum laughing

Thank you, Jeff, for taking the time to investigate Pauly G's display issue.

Pauly - the clips from your camera are MP4. Which camera was used? Did you use any particular colour settings on the camera?

To try to get some resolution of your issue, it's vital that you upload the original video clip to a shared drive, such as Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive etc.

I've checked the sample files Jeff linked, & they all display correctly in CDR4, 5 6, & 7. The display in CDR4 is slightly different to more recent versions, but certainly not anything like the outrageous colours in your screenshot! (CDR4 & CDR7 screenshots are attached)

PIX
[Thumb - CDR4_DJI Mavic D-Cinelike.jpg]
 Filename
CDR4_DJI Mavic D-Cinelike.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
925 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
[Thumb - CDR7_DJI Mavic D-Cinelike.jpg]
 Filename
CDR7_DJI Mavic D-Cinelike.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
909 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 17. 2018 14:46

PIX YouTube channel
Pauly G [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello Pauly G,

Welcome to the CDR forum laughing

Thank you, Jeff, for taking the time to investigate Pauly G's display issue.

Pauly - the clips from your camera are MP4. Which camera was used? Did you use any particular colour settings on the camera?

To try to get some resolution of your issue, it's vital that you upload the original video clip to a shared drive, such as Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive etc.

I've checked the sample files Jeff linked, & they all display correctly in CDR4, 5 6, & 7. The display in CDR4 is slightly different to more recent versions, but certainly not anything like the outrageous colours in your screenshot! (CDR4 & CDR7 screenshots are attached)

PIX

Hey PIX
Thanks for jumping on board. So I've realised my Panasonic Lumix FZ300 only shoots in .mp4 or AVCHD, so that cuts out the .mov issue. I used CNED colour setting.
I've done a brand new video.

https:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l1uidCzbu1rN6MviqSCiCzaMbar5RmHf/view//drive.google.com/file/d/1l1uidCzbu1rN6MviqSCiCzaMbar5RmHf/view

Hope this works, I have never done it before.

Paul
[Post New]
Hello Paul,

Your file sharing worked perfectly! Thank you for uploading.

Is that clip shot in the same mode as the one causing issues? I assume so.

My observation here is that it displays consistently in various versions of CDR, PDR & other software. Please see these screenshots from CDR4 ,CDR7 & DaVinci Resolve15. (Forum timed out with 3 attachments)

How does the clip display for you in CDR? Could you please post a screenshot?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Pauly G [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello Paul,

Your file sharing worked perfectly! Thank you for uploading.

Is that clip shot in the same mode as the one causing issues? I assume so.

My observation here is that it displays consistently in various versions of CDR, PDR & other software. Please see these screenshots from CDR4 ,CDR7 & DaVinci Resolve15. (Forum timed out with 3 attachments)

How does the clip display for you in CDR? Could you please post a screenshot?

PIX

Here is my CDR screenshot.

Paul
[Thumb - CDR Screenshot.JPG]
 Filename
CDR Screenshot.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
161 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Do you have a LUT preloaded in preferences?
see screenshot.

Hatti
[Thumb - Zwischenablage01.jpg]
 Filename
Zwischenablage01.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
preloaded LUT
 Filesize
127 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Pauly G [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Hatti
No, there is no preloaded LUT

Paul
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Pauly G, I'm tending to believe it's something on your platform. Not sure what type of hardware you have but I'd probably be looking at the version of video drivers you are using, unique codec packs you may have installed, or possibly even turning off hardware decoding in CD4 pref > "Hardware Acceleration".

My testing of your clip in CL products concurs with PIX's observations, I currently can't duplicate your color saturation issues.

Jeff
Pauly G [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Pauly G, I'm tending to believe it's something on your platform. Not sure what type of hardware you have but I'd probably be looking at the version of video drivers you are using, unique codec packs you may have installed, or possibly even turning off hardware decoding in CD4 pref > "Hardware Acceleration".

My testing of your clip in CL products concurs with PIX's observations, I currently can't duplicate your color saturation issues.

Jeff

When I use PD it's absolutely fine with colours but as soon is I export it to CD to grade it a little it just dont work
[Post New]
Hello again Paul,

It appears this issue has us all perplexed.

When you mentioned round-tripping between PDR & CDR, I thought that may have provided a clue. Not so. When I open your clip in PDR17 it looks (unsurprisingly) like this. Unedited & sent to CDR for enhancement, it looks just the same. There's no colour shift at all.

Hatti's question & your confirmation rules out the possibility of any effect being applied automatically. Jeff's suggestion that the issue is linked to your particular installation, as others cannot replicate it, seems to be correct.

That, of course, doesn't help you.

Does this problem occur with any other clips? different cameras? different settings?

Perplexed.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Harmen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 01, 2018 15:29 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
I have - more or less - the same problem but with PowerDirector 17. When I export a video (or edit it in ColorDirector) the colors are much brighter than they are while I am editing it in PD. What is interesting though is that the file that PD generated (the one with the hideous colors) does not show up with these colors in the preview thumbnails (the part where your media is listed) but it does show these colors in the preview screen when I click the thumbnail (see picture).

When I put the file with the hideous colors on the timeline the preview screen shows it with 'dull' colors. So somewhere with the thumbnails as well as with the preview screen something is not going as it should.

The good news however is that I only have this problem on my cheap laptop that has a intel HD 620 graphics card and not on my desktop that has a more sophisticated nvidia card. So maybe the intel card or driver might be the problem.
[Thumb - Naamloos-2.png]
 Filename
Naamloos-2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1602 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have - more or less - the same problem but with PowerDirector 17.
The good news however is that I only have this problem on my cheap laptop that has a intel HD 620 graphics card and not on my desktop that has a more sophisticated nvidia card. So maybe the intel card or driver might be the problem.

That may be a clue. Could you look at the << READ ME >> post at the top of the forum and post the DxDiag results of your laptop?

Pauly G, it would be helpful if you could do that as well to see if there might be a driver issue here.

Like everyone else on this thread, I have no problems viewing Pauly G's clip in PD or CD. I've produced it to WMV and HEVC, and it would be interesting if either of you saw the same artifacts when using a different codec. Both files are in this OneDrive folder for downloading.
Pauly G [Avatar]
[Post New]

That may be a clue. Could you look at the << READ ME >> post at the top of the forum and post the DxDiag results of your laptop?

Pauly G, it would be helpful if you could do that as well to see if there might be a driver issue here.

Like everyone else on this thread, I have no problems viewing Pauly G's clip in PD or CD. I've produced it to WMV and HEVC, and it would be interesting if either of you saw the same artifacts when using a different codec. Both files are in this OneDrive folder for downloading.

Here is my DXDIAG saved info.
 Filename
Paul G DXDIAG.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Pauly G DXDIAG info
 Filesize
101 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1376 time(s)